putting a holley 4 barrel on vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is the real point in scrapping individual carbs in favor of a single four barrel? None. The cylinder temps are not the same, therefore your rear cylinders are starving while you front ones are on point or vice versa. If you are not willing to learn the quirks of a 4 carb setup then dumbing it down is not going to make it the best that it can be. It might be good for you but that's only you.

When you sync the original ( or not original) 4-carb setup, and do it RIGHT, you will come to realize that simply setting carbs equal in terms of mechanical definitions is not enough. You need to go further than that. Once you get the complete idea, your four carbs will function like a fuel injection if not better.

How is it starving any cylinder? You do realize for example on a V8 with a single carb runs great and can make huge horsepower.
Dumbing it down? If I had a dollar for Everytime someone on these forums said "sync the carbs" I would be rich. My Holley is so simple to run every day while in the meantime I see pic after pic of someone always disassembling their carbs to figure out some poor running Co condition. The day I took the stock carbs off and threw them as far as I could was the best decision I've made.

There's no better way to get people at a bike show to stop and stare at a Holley carb sticking up through the fake tank cover!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230802-101933.png
    Screenshot_20230802-101933.png
    790.4 KB · Views: 1
There was a much more sophisticated version made by Dale Walker years ago. Even heated lower passage to help with cold warm up issues and frosting that can occur. He hasn't made one of those in probably 20-30 years though.
Not worried about heating things up. This is my purpose built dare to be different Vmax that launches like a missile. Sure I sacrificed around town nice and smooth driveability but I can tell you, when you crank the throttle wide open this think PULLS on the big end.

Not worried about heating things up. This is my purpose built dare to be different Vmax that launches like a missile. Sure I sacrificed around town nice and smooth driveability but I can tell you, when you crank the throttle wide open this think PULLS on the big end.
I'd say, a healthy stock one does too.

If you can show some strip slips showing what it's capable of, I would be interested, and I'm sure others would be too.

I suppose from your posts, the big benefit is only one carburetor to adjust/keep clean. I think that for my purposes, I enjoy around town below VBoost rpm's torque, and drivability, though I know that past about 5500 rpm there is much in the way of thrills.

Good for you to take a path few have, we're always interested in what mods people choose, and how it works out.

Starving one cylinder in a vee engine configuration is easy with single quad or dual quad. How do I know? I've designed and built sheet metal intake manifolds for various engines like HEMI, Chevy and Ford. Then dynoed them reading the exhaust temps and reading the plugs. I've built so many custom engines in gas, diesel, turbo, supercharged and fuel injected that I cannot even guess how many. I can see from your reply and your pic of the cut faux cover that you seem to hunt for publicity. I couldn't care less.

Like Fire medic wrote, put up some hard facts like dyno numbers to show I'm full of shit. Otherwise, have a good day.

We may all have opinions about other Forum members but IMO nothing is gained from making derogatory comments about them.
It does nothing for Forum harmony and does nothing to contribute to the knowledge base.

By all means think it (and I do) but best not said.

Well, as luck would have it, I just bought a 2001 Vmax with a 500 Demon carb setup! Haven't even gotten it off the trailer yet. Interesting thread. I have had over 2 dozen 1st generation Vmaxs in the past 20 years, in just about every configuration, including flatslides, but never a 4 barrel so this will be interesting. I'm sure it's not going to pull like my 2015 Vmax, but I'll be able to give a seat of the pants comparison for sure. Outside of Kyle Clegg, who helped work on this bike for David Kopaceski when he had it, not sure many people have ridden as many Vmax's as yours truly. Other than the usual goto guys like Furbur (RIP) and Morley! Will post more pics and details later!

Attachments

• 2001Vmax1.JPG
    2001Vmax1.JPG
    113.5 KB · Views: 2
Texas-ss-tornado What does the intake look like that the demon 500 is on?

Very interested in your expert opinion after you run her through the ringer!

I'm at a point that I think OEM engineers know what they are doing and changing an intake and exhaust will only yield minimal performance gains (5% or so)... Mostly they improve the exhaust note and make the rider 'feel' quicker/faster. In my (very limited) experience, unless you start changing internals you won't really see quantifiable performance gains.

Very interested in your expert opinion after you run her through the ringer!

I'm at a point that I think OEM engineers know what they are doing and changing an intake and exhaust will only yield minimal performance gains (5% or so)... Mostly they improve the exhaust note and make the rider 'feel' quicker/faster. In my (very limited) experience, unless you start changing internals you won't really see quantifiable performance gains.
The main thing for me is ease of tuning and maintenance. Plus it's a great conversation piece!

Got it off the trailer this morning, cold blooded as hell. Still snowing, no ride today anyways!

Don't be surprised if you get a handful of people telling you about how you're losing horsepower by running a Holley!
I've heard it many many times....lol

Don't be surprised if you get a handful of people telling you about how you're losing horsepower by running a Holley!
I've heard it many many times....lol
Heck, I don't care what people say. It sounds GREAT. My ZL1000 with Supertrapps is pretty awesome too, but this is beyond that, and both of those bikes are better "sounding" than my 2015 Vmax, if not faster. We all know the 2nd Gen Max is a different kind of animal. I didn't just buy it because of it's maximum horsepower anyways, it's a quality build and I know one when I see one. Couldn't pass it up.

Heck, I don't care what people say. It sounds GREAT. My ZL1000 with Supertrapps is pretty awesome too, but this is beyond that, and both of those bikes are better "sounding" than my 2015 Vmax, if not faster. We all know the 2nd Gen Max is a different kind of animal. I didn't just buy it because of it's maximum horsepower anyways, it's a quality build and I know one when I see one. Couldn't pass it up.
Pictures please.

Tornado - I just watched the video... Holly hell that thing sounds like an angry dragon!!!

Back