puzzling problem

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naughtyG

Reaction score
So overnight, out of nowhere, the bike goes from idling perfectly at 1000 rpm to idling at 750-800 rpm, sounding a bit like it's running on 3 cylinders :ummm:

Also, at times it still 'sneezes' at low revs, has been doing that forever even before and after the carbs rebuild. But now, I'm also getting odd backfiring explosions - today I accelerated in the second gear, then shut the throttle and slowed down and then 'bang'! Happened a couple of times just like that.

Also, at one time today, having switched the bike off while hot, I went back to it, and when I turned the ignition on I got a 'carb fart' - it was like some built-up pressure just went 'pooof' and exited.

Please note that while all of this is happening, the bike is otherwise running absolutely fine. It runs smoothly, and when I twist the throttle it goes just great. No flat spots or anything - pulling as strong as it's ever done.

The only other trouble I have is I suspect a weak battery, as sometimes when it's hot and the fan is going it struggles to crank if it's only been off for a minute or two. I also just did a carb sync about 3 days ago - was pretty much bang on so only made very minor adjustments.

WTF is going on!?! :ummm::ummm::ummm:

What's your battery voltage at idle G ? I had a low voltage issue with my 'Max when I first got it - would barely crank when hot, even though it was great 15 minutes earlier when cold. I ran an extra wire from my r/r to the battery + and cured it. I also had a number of corroded connectors on my bike when I got it ( you saw it was a little on the rough side at the bike-fest ) & I packed all my connectors with di-electric grease - now I'm running about 14.4 volts at idle & no more probs ! It can't be your carbs - we all saw your posts - you have the cleanest carbs in town ! :eusa_dance:

If you are checking the voltage to the battery make sure you disconnect the output of the r/r so battery voltage doesnt interfere with your reading.

Also I had an issue once like this and it was my ignitor. It finally went out on me, when I replaced it all the symptoms went away.

Cheers

If you are getting back firing issues check all your exhaust joints for leaks especially the head pipes where they bolt to the head. I would also put in a new set of spark plugs to rule that out as a possible cause.

So overnight, out of nowhere, the bike goes from idling perfectly at 1000 rpm to idling at 750-800 rpm, sounding a bit like it's running on 3 cylinders :ummm:

Also, at times it still 'sneezes' at low revs, has been doing that forever even before and after the carbs rebuild. But now, I'm also getting odd backfiring explosions - today I accelerated in the second gear, then shut the throttle and slowed down and then 'bang'! Happened a couple of times just like that.

Also, at one time today, having switched the bike off while hot, I went back to it, and when I turned the ignition on I got a 'carb fart' - it was like some built-up pressure just went 'pooof' and exited.

Please note that while all of this is happening, the bike is otherwise running absolutely fine. It runs smoothly, and when I twist the throttle it goes just great. No flat spots or anything - pulling as strong as it's ever done.

The only other trouble I have is I suspect a weak battery, as sometimes when it's hot and the fan is going it struggles to crank if it's only been off for a minute or two. I also just did a carb sync about 3 days ago - was pretty much bang on so only made very minor adjustments.

WTF is going on!?! :ummm::ummm::ummm:

G, how do the plugs look? I had the same problem a year or so ago and it was due to the gap being near zero. I dropped it and didn't re-check the gap.

Since you downloaded the charging system guide I would go through that step-by-step.

Well I refilled the tank since but have not observed any improvement yet, so I guess that rules that one out
confused24.gif
I had the same symtoms on mine last spring. It took about 2 weeks for it to clear up.

Seafoam?

G, how do the plugs look? I had the same problem a year or so ago and it was due to the gap being near zero. I dropped it and didn't re-check the gap.

Last I checked the plugs (2 weeks ago) all the gaps were perfect. They also looked pretty good in the middle, but a wee bit sooty on the edges (the ring where the thread ends).

Since you downloaded the charging system guide I would go through that step-by-step.

Having fully charged the battery, done the crimp fix, and also fixed the negative wire connection from R/R to battery, I started the step by step guide.

Checked my voltage at the battery with engine running - pretty constant 13.79 Volts no matter what rpm. According to the guide this means everything's fine..

Well I refilled the tank since but have not observed any improvement yet, so I guess that rules that one out :confused2:

Did you drain the carbs. Water can collect in the float bowls and still be sitting in the bottom of the bowls even with a fresh tank of gas.

Open each carb drain screw and let some fuel drain in to a clear container. Check for water fuel separation the water will settle to the bottom.

Back