Python Airbox Elimination Kit

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bikedave99

Reaction score
Just ran across this on eBay:

-------

New Combo listing: Eliminates stock large air box! You get a set of four "4" individual air filter pods with clamps & a crankcase breather.
Filter size: Low overall height= 3-1/2", chrome base= 3" diameter, chrome top plate= 2" diameter, filter area height= 2.0"
Picture below to show mounting location. This listing does not include carburetors!
carbs%20airfil%20vmax%20.jpg

You should notice: Better Gas mileage & performance than with the stock paper air filter or K&N filter! No carburetor re-jetting required if lightly oiled.
Plus this listing comes with a crankcase breather (uni filter) plug-in style with clamp & tie.
All filters in this listing will fit 1985-2007 Yamaha Vmax 1200 motorcycles stock carb's.
All filters can be washed & oiled. Re-use over & over again. No filter oil comes with this kit!
Note: Quantity=1 item below in checkout means one order of 4 filters & 1 breather filter purchased!
See our other Yamaha VMAX motorcycle parts @ discount prices in our store. Python's ebay store

-------------

I guess I didn't think this was possible with the stock carb settings. Knowing that the bike will not run well if at all withough the airbox off, this doesn't seem like it should work. Also not sure why I haven't run across this before... I figured it would have to little restriction to work properly. I am not interested in this for a power and economy standpoint so much (but I wouldn't argue if that was a by-product), but rather because I am tired of my ill-fitting airbox and the airleaks I am certain it provides! I don't know how long it takes me to get that thing seated to the point I think I have it right then realized the opposite boot has popped off. Anyway, would just like to hear some opinions on this.

It won't work as advertised. Kit is cheap enough to throw away if you want to try.

You need new airbox to carb boots. I started keeping them on hand a few years ago due to aging airboxes which have boots that get hard. The boots should be very supple and will slide right on when in good condition.

Sean

Hmmm... I guess I thought the boot was part of the velocity stack? What do you want for a set of new boots?

The boot is part of the velocity stack but easily replaced. It will also seal up the bottom of the box better if your's are loose in there. They run $17.43 each ($80 with shipping for the set of 4). I didn't used to replace them until we had to one day. Then it was like magic how smoothly they went back on the carbs.

Sean

I have the kit from python. I plan to try it once I can get my carbs setup properly. See here http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?p=158509#post158509

I'll report back to this thread with my findings.

These filters fit right over top of the carb. You do not require the boots from the airbox. It comes with its own boot and clamp. They actually fit very nicely. The question is do they work as advertised?

I dont see this kit working w/o air correctors and re-jetting. I opened up my airbox a little and it ran like crap, cant see these working well without installing everything else that comes with a standard Stage 7 kit. If they work OK then that would be great. Ibet they would sound great! I would love to ditch my airbox.

Looking forward to hearing your results Hexec!

I dont see this kit working w/o air correctors and re-jetting. I opened up my airbox a little and it ran like crap, cant see these working well without installing everything else that comes with a standard Stage 7 kit. If they work OK then that would be great. Ibet they would sound great! I would love to ditch my airbox.

Looking forward to hearing your results Hexec!

Same here, removed the 'Y' while on the PCW dyno, it ran so bad they didn't even bother finishing the run.

I can't see this working right either.

Ya I also reckon this is complete rubbish. Especially the claims of 'better gas mileage' - as if LOL

Mine won't even run right with the top of the airbox off - can't rev it up at all!

I will say this one thing. If it runs ok without the air correctors then the filters combined do not flow any better then the stock airbox.

Sean

I have not tried it yet but I can agree that from what I have tested so far, there is no friggen way these filters will work as advertised.

Just ran across this on eBay:

-------

New Combo listing: Eliminates stock large air box! You get a set of four "4" individual air filter pods with clamps & a crankcase breather.
Filter size: Low overall height= 3-1/2", chrome base= 3" diameter, chrome top plate= 2" diameter, filter area height= 2.0"
Picture below to show mounting location. This listing does not include carburetors!
carbs%20airfil%20vmax%20.jpg

You should notice: Better Gas mileage & performance than with the stock paper air filter or K&N filter! No carburetor re-jetting required if lightly oiled.
Plus this listing comes with a crankcase breather (uni filter) plug-in style with clamp & tie.
All filters in this listing will fit 1985-2007 Yamaha Vmax 1200 motorcycles stock carb's.
All filters can be washed & oiled. Re-use over & over again. No filter oil comes with this kit!
Note: Quantity=1 item below in checkout means one order of 4 filters & 1 breather filter purchased!
See our other Yamaha VMAX motorcycle parts @ discount prices in our store. Python's ebay store

-------------

I guess I didn't think this was possible with the stock carb settings. Knowing that the bike will not run well if at all withough the airbox off, this doesn't seem like it should work. Also not sure why I haven't run across this before... I figured it would have to little restriction to work properly. I am not interested in this for a power and economy standpoint so much (but I wouldn't argue if that was a by-product), but rather because I am tired of my ill-fitting airbox and the airleaks I am certain it provides! I don't know how long it takes me to get that thing seated to the point I think I have it right then realized the opposite boot has popped off. Anyway, would just like to hear some opinions on this.

If you want proven performance why not just buy one of Seans Muscle kits? Even if the Python kit is cheap it is still wasting money. JMHO

If you want proven performance why not just buy one of Seans Muscle kits? Even if the Python kit is cheap it is still wasting money. JMHO

You'll notice from my intial post that I was not looking for performance gains but an alternative to my airbox that would sit and seal to carbs. This would solve that problem, and if it wasn't detrimental to performance would have been worth it. However, I just went ahead a bought the new carb joint boots. I also only had the stock exhaust headers at the time so Morleys kit would have been useless. But this has all changed now, since I have a Kerker 4-1 and just bought another Max with a lot of goodies...

I put together basically the same setup 10 years ago on my 1999 model. I These will NOT work properly without the air correctors installed. I installed the DynoJet # DCO402 Main Air Correctors when I did mine. Depending on your exhaust and other mods you will need to make additional air/fuel changes to get the bike to run right as well.

Back