Quarter Mile Input

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gofast68

Reaction score
Okay, here's my noob post on the V-max forum. :eusa_dance: I'm an experienced drag racer in our local Pro ET bracket ('68 Mustang) and recently purchased a used '94 V-max. Of course, I had to take it to the track. I've currently only made 6 full passes and have been somewhat disappointed. Most of the disappointment is my launching skills, but I know that will just take practice. However, even with my own 'newness', I expected a bit more MPH out of the bike. When I bought it, it was completely stock, except for removing the plates off the muffler cans and drilling out the rivets for sound. The carbs weren't touched and the stock air cleaner was still in the factory air box. I have swapped in a K&N and cleaned the carbs, but the bike is still stock. I have read through a bunch of the quarter mile times for other members on here and see some pretty amazing numbers. Lots of mid-high 10's and 11's out there. I'm impressed. What I don't see is a lot of elevation and track names (probably because most of you know where everyone else is at) so I have to assume a lot of these passes are done a much lower elevations than I. I'm in Salt Lake City Utah and can't seem to get more than about 109 mph in the quarter.

I'm assuming the bike is probably a bit rich for my elevation (physical about 4400ft with the DA hovering between 7000-11,000ft depending on the day). Set aside from my own driving skills and the 'stockness' of my bike, here is my best pass so far. Anything abnormal or for the most part, is the bike running okay (mph) for my altitude:

60ft......1.862
330ft....5.133
1/8.......7.872
mph.....90.01
1/4.....12.327
mph...108.53

Anyone else running an essentially stock V-max at a similar altitude? I'm in the process of getting it to a dyno to check a/f ratio's and such. The bike has just barely passed the 10,000 mile mark, so it's not a spring chicken, but it has not been abused either.

Just looking for some feedback.

Where did the bike come from...elevation???

How much do you weigh???

Are you launching in second gear???

BTW: Welcome to the board!

Neil

I bought the bike from the original owner and it was originally purchased here locally (Utah). I'm about 190lbs. I'm leaving in first gear and haven't tried leaving in second yet.

I'd assume that with me on the bike and all my gear on, I'm probably floating around 800lbs with the bike.

You can look at this info about launching.

http://vmaxoutlaw.com/tech/launching.htm

Depending on your weight and track conditions, you can tweak the basics to your liking.

Riders under 150 wet (me 20 years ago) usually have better results with a well developed 2nd gear launch.

Neil

I've read over that page a few times and will likely read it again. It's some good info! I'm curious about trap speeds. Is 108-109 mph low, high or average compared to others running at my elevation or am I the only nut trying to run their stock V-max in the mountains? :stickyman:

I've read over that page a few times and will likely read it again. It's some good info! I'm curious about trap speeds. Is 108-109 mph low, high or average compared to others running at my elevation or am I the only nut trying to run their stock V-max in the mountains? :stickyman:
Don't really know anyone in the nose bleed section running the Max these days.

1000ft sea level or below, and those speeds are kind of slow. Your 60 is off and that would be the best place to start.

Sean or Lankee might know someone running up there in the thin air.

I'm sure you will see a marked improvement with just a little practice on the same setup.

Neil

just my 2 cents...i believe opening up the mufflers hurt performance...on a stock setup

Don't really know anyone in the nose bleed section running the Max these days.

Hi Gofast68...

I'm also in the nose bleed section, but I haven't done any drag racing. I'm at around 5700ft further south of you. Nice to know of another UT VMax owner. That makes 3 of us that I know of on here right now.

None of the motorcycles I've owned seem to run at peak here in UT with this elevation. I also have drilled mufflers but I got the bike that way. I've gotten used to the sound but I'd like to have the ends welded back on. I've also heard you lose low end power when you drill. I lost low end but gained mid/top end on my XS11 when I went from the stock 4-2 to a 4-1 setup.

What track are you drag racing at?

Guys...

You have to feed it and bleed it.

Making it richer while letting it escape is the key.

Anything you do to make the exhaust louder or more free flowing is going to make a lean condition. Those in the Nose Bleed section have to pay close attention to this, as should anyone else...just good mechanics.

The more fuel in, the more fuel out, keep a steady fire. The same fuel in, the more fuel out, makes for a lean condition!

Mark or Shawn will back me up on this, and hate me for saying it at the same time ;)

Those of you at higher elevations with exhaust mods are not doing yourselves any favors, unless more fuel is allowed! You need more fuel before modding the exhaust, and the spark to burn it.

The perfect point of performance is just before detonation.

Just like those guys at sea level or such should not richen the levels without a way to allow the fumes to escape first. IE change the carb jetting to a fatter setup with a stock or less exhaust system.

There is a balance point that works best for all. Finding that is the 64K question.

Guys...

You have to feed it and bleed it.

Making it richer while letting it escape is the key.

Anything you do to make the exhaust louder or more free flowing is going to make a lean condition. Those in the Nose Bleed section have to pay close attention to this, as should anyone else...just good mechanics.

The more fuel in, the more fuel out, keep a steady fire. The same fuel in, the more fuel out, makes for a lean condition!

Mark or Shawn will back me up on this, and hate me for saying it at the same time ;)

Those of you at higher elevations with exhaust mods are not doing yourselves any favors, unless more fuel is allowed! You need more fuel before modding the exhaust, and the spark to burn it.

The perfect point of performance is just before detonation.

Just like those guys at sea level or such should not richen the levels without a way to allow the fumes to escape first. IE change the carb jetting to a fatter setup with a stock or less exhaust system.

There is a balance point that works best for all. Finding that is the 64K question.

I completely agree with this statement. You let more exhaust out, you have to be able to adjust for the modification. With my bike being stock and with previous experience in stock carburated applications, most come from the factory set closer for a sea level jetting. That means bringing it up to my elevation would initially create a 'fat' condition. Checking the jetting and such, the bike is set right at the factory specs. The plugs look pretty good with no real signs of too much or too little fuel. I've thought of maybe leaning it out just a bit for elevation to see if it helps, but I hate playing the 'trial and error' method. I'm looking to try and get on a dyno here soon to get it dialed in for sure.

Thanks for the feedback so far!

-Jeremy

has more to do with the speed ,velocity of the air in an out...not as simple as opening up exhaust and adding more gas...milage goes down. start running richer, loose power ... but sounds louder and most think its making more power...most times a strong motor with mods .. that starts pulling. sucking ,more air ..is also pulling in more gas from same jet size... usually down sizing a jet because of mods is a good sign your making more power...before anyone decides to punch or open up the stock exhaust do a rollon with a buddy in a high gear..dont matter if you win or lose ..take note of the distance you pull or they pull away......then open up your stock exhaust and do the same test...you will see the big power loss....dont care if you rejet or not

You can do that or shim your airbox "Y" a tad to compensate.

just my 2 cents...i believe opening up the mufflers hurt performance...on a stock setup

I fully agree with this statement also.
The only reason people drill there stock mufflers is for a louder sound.
Your not going to increase any performance and you will lose torque.
Dont drill your mufflers, unless you own a mini bike.

If you want more power, save your money and watch ebay for an aftermarket full exhaust system.
Power is made by tube dimension and design to increase flow and pressure.

Well, since I didn't actually do the drilling myself, I'll go find the previous owner and let him have it. :bang head:

I'll go about trying to close up the cans and see what happens.

Again, thanks for the input all!

Well, since I didn't actually do the drilling myself, I'll go find the previous owner and let him have it. :bang head:

I'll go about trying to close up the cans and see what happens.

Again, thanks for the input all!

Stock VMAX OEM exhaust are being bought by those over other countries such as Asia. They are paying 250.00+ USD to buy em. another save your 400 and look for a full system.

Stock VMAX OEM exhaust are being bought by those over other countries such as Asia. They are paying 250.00+ USD to buy em. another save your 400 and look for a full system.

Yep....

They're buying the vboost units and exhaust as fast as they hit evilbay. 85 systems are selling for crazy amounts when someone makes the mistake of letting it go.

There are a few on ebay right now that are reasonable, but, I would not put more than $100 in a set and that includes shipping. They are worth more, but you understand.

http://motors.shop.ebay.com/items/vmax-exhaust_W0QQ_nkwZvmaxQ20exhaust

Neil

I should sell my V-Boost stuff on E-bay. Cute idea, I'll take mine constantly open though.

VBOOST Manifolds, controller, cable, servo motor sells all day long for $550.00 over seas. They go nuts for em over there France Italy etc. I just dont how to post for Europe, and how to exchange foriegn currenecy on paypal.
:confused2:

I would sell mine for 400.00 cause VBOOST isnt worth a nickel to me. Maybe if I remove my vboost it will solve my handling issues:ummm:

Back