Quest for better gas millage

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithben1983

Reaction score
So I am trying to figure out why I am only getting like 90 miles til my fuel light.

I started with trying to check my float bowl levels the right side seams fine but than tring to check the right I couldn't get gas to come out the tub. It would leak out by the screw if I unscrewed it enough I tried shooting crab cleaner up in there and what not but both carbs on the right I couldn't get anything. I than took off the air box trying to see why they are jammed up. my air cleaner looks fine but when I took the little cover off in side the air box, not sure if there should be a filter in there, but it was full of.. maybe oilie stuff or gas I don't know what it was but i cleaned it all up. maybe its time for me to by the tool to sync the carbs so I can clean them? or do I just take it in?

Syncing the carbs would be a good first step and will smooth out your idle and overall performance as well. You can buy the $100 purpose-built manometers, or you can make one for about $10 of parts, namely connectors and clear vinyl tubing. Do a search, it's been brought up lots of time. It's not really so important what the actual vacuum pressure is, but rather how close each carb is relative to the others.

A little oily residue in the airbox is nothing strange....a little mist tends to come out of the breather hose at high RPMs. Unless it's pumping the box full of oil, it's nothing to worry about.

Have you tried the peashooter and shotgun?

Also....how do you ride? People who ride generally aggressively all the time are going to get sucky mileage. Lots of time in v-boost territory is going to hurt mileage big time. I have gone as far as 130 miles and as little as 85 before hitting the fuel light....all dependent on riding style, nothing else changed.

Ben , Ive been trying to figure out the same thing.................................... Im starting to think it may be my riding style:confused2: 1260 motor with the EFI I got from 18mpg(very rich) to best ever of 38 on a trip. now EFI is gone(best improvement ever) and its tunned by one of the best, and Im still only getting bout 30 mpg:ummm:. Im done thinkin about it:bang head::bang head: I'll stop and put fuel in it every 90 miles and enjoy the acceleration along the way:biglaugh:

I have a Morgan Carbtune Pro Ben.

My work schedule is pretty hectic since it's camping season, but I can make some time on a weekday if you would like to bring your bike over. We can hook it up and I will show you how to sync your carbs.

As for gas mileage, mine has been improving. I think it is because the motor is breaking in and the weather is getting warmer, but we shall see. Mpg and power seems to be improving as I get some miles on the bike, mine had 227 miles on it when I got it. Most of my riding has been 2 up and my miles before reserve has been 80, 90, 80, and now 114.

Ron

wow Ron that would be super great! when do you think would work for u?

Its funny that this morning I was looking all over the forums on how to build it when I should have just looked at my own post!

wow Ron that would be super great! when do you think would work for u?

Its funny that this morning I was looking all over the forums on how to build it when I should have just looked at my own post!

Hi Ben - The rest of this week is tight. If you want to do it over here, how does the first part of next week sound?

If you would like to do it sooner, you are welcome to borrow it. - Ron

well I don't want to put you out so if your a busy guy( I know I am) I will just borrow it but I wouldn't mind waiting til next week or whatever, you think it could be just my carbs out of sync? mainly I would love to have a guy that knows something about these bikes, that isn't tring to sell me some dumb thing or tring to get me to bring my bike in for service hear the bike run and just bounce some ideas off. I love doing things myself, even if I don't know how Search is my best pal ever! heres my number 7635688937 also I do sewer and drain cleaning If you ever need anything!

"As for gas mileage, mine has been improving. I think it is because the motor is breaking in and the weather is getting warmer, but we shall see. Mpg and power seems to be improving as I get some miles on the bike, mine had 227 miles on it when I got it. Most of my riding has been 2 up and my miles before reserve has been 80, 90, 80, and now 114."

Put 315 miles on today. Before hitting reserve today I got 133 and 128 miles per tank riding 2 up. Ever since I got up to around 500 miles on the bike and the weather turned it has been good.

Back