radials on stock rims.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carnut108

Reaction score
I have read that you can not put radial tires on the stock Vmax rims, why ???
I remember when radial tires came out in the 60's and I was able to put them on stock auto rims.

I would like to put radial tires on when it comes time to change ( about 2000 mi) I have also read that the stock rims can be modified to accept radials. Just what does this mod entail and how much ?

Lastly, I've just had the stock rims polished to an almost chrome finish, which I much prefer to the stock black, but am still not crazy about the design. I'm not into paying $3000. for aftermarket rims, is there anything cheaper ?

Patrick

You won't find the size that you need for your stock rims in a radial tire

You can find radial for the front. Tire manufacture as of yet don't make radial in the 15" size stock vmax. That's why alot of the guys convert the wheel
I bought an after market wheel for the rear 18x 5.5 & kept my front stock

Attachments

• IMAG0047.jpg
    IMAG0047.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 120
did not know it was a tire size issue., thanks. When you say "convert the wheel" do you mean change the stock 15 " rime to an 18" rim somehow ? or buy an 18' aftermarket rim ?

There's a company that mod the stock hub to another wheel I believe not sure, some of the senior guy might know. You can do advance search on here & maybe find it.
I just bought aftermarket wheel before I found out about the mod wheel.

You can find radial for the front. Tire manufacture as of yet don't make radial in the 15" size stock vmax. That's why alot of the guys convert the wheel
I bought an after market wheel for the rear 18x 5.5 & kept my front stock

That's a pretty wheel. Which vendor, and how much $$, if you don't mind my asking? Also, how long for delivery?

Kosman Engineering is the common supplier for altered wheels, Sean [Morley's Muscle] sells Carrozzeria wheels from Italy, expensive, light, and ready-to-go. He may have a source for altered stock wheels besides Kosman. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/carrozzeria-wheels/

I have a 17" dia. Kosman, a bit heavy, but I like it. "Flywheel effect... ." Plus your choices for radials is greater than in 18". http://kosmanspecialties.com/services/wheel-widening-and-weldups/

Then there is "the Dark Side...if you dare (not recommended). Like H-D boys say, "if you have to ask..." then don't go there. Just look at the contact patch, 'nuff-said.
images
images

Kosman Engineering is the common supplier for altered wheels, Sean [Morley's Muscle] sells Carrozzeria wheels from Italy, expensive, light, and ready-to-go. He may have a source for altered stock wheels besides Kosman. http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcycle-wheels/carrozzeria-wheels/

I have a 17" dia. Kosman, a bit heavy, but I like it. "Flywheel effect... ." Plus your choices for radials is greater than in 18". http://kosmanspecialties.com/services/wheel-widening-and-weldups/

Then there is "the Dark Side...if you dare (not recommended). Like H-D boys say, "if you have to ask..." then don't go there. Just look at the contact patch, 'nuff-said.
images
images

i believe carrozzerias are japanese, and also maybe russian? theres also an establishment in the US

anyways another reason is to get the same ride height out of the tire the sidewall would have to be bigger (on a 15" rim) and would have more flex on it. i sent mine to kosman and they turned an '85 rear from 15x3.5 to 17x5.5:

2010-10-04+18.32.05.jpg

2010-10-20+17.35.04.jpg

guess I will just stick with bias ply tires until someone makes a 150 or 170 R15 MC tire. Just can't justify the high cost of the suggestions here but I do appreciate the feed back.

It just cost me $595 + shipping to have Kosman convert my stock rear to 18x5 (proper wheel size for a 160/60-18 tire). This is the cheapest way to go unless you can find an already converted wheel that someone is selling for cheaper (not likely). I finally put my wheels back on this Saturday after getting them back from the powder coaters. It's been crap weather so I haven't had much time on them but I can tell you the handling difference is dramatic.

i believe carrozzerias are japanese, and also maybe russian? theres also an establishment in the US

anyways another reason is to get the same ride height out of the tire the sidewall would have to be bigger (on a 15" rim) and would have more flex on it. i sent mine to kosman and they turned an '85 rear from 15x3.5 to 17x5.5:

2010-10-04+18.32.05.jpg

2010-10-20+17.35.04.jpg
Here is a little background on Carrozzeria Wheels. It turns out they used to be a company called Hi Point, I thought they were Italian made.:confused2:

It just cost me $595 + shipping to have Kosman convert my stock rear to 18x5 (proper wheel size for a 160/60-18 tire). This is the cheapest way to go unless you can find an already converted wheel that someone is selling for cheaper (not likely). I finally put my wheels back on this Saturday after getting them back from the powder coaters. It's been crap weather so I haven't had much time on them but I can tell you the handling difference is dramatic.

I would agree very much so. I'm not sure the company, since the previous owner had it done. He said he shipped it to California, so it must have been Kosman. Anyways, with the radial tires on the front and back, it feels like you have pinetar on your tires. Its awesome. And it's a great conversation peice when showing off. The weld bead almost looks factory. I love it. And I'm very glad he paid to have it done before he sold it to me. The tires had about 40 miles on them when I bought the bike.

If I was sending out to Kosman, I'd go lace up with 18x6 aluminum ring. Might as well go full hog and get the matching front to complete the "Into the Nines" look. Maybe lighter than Carrs?

Not sure if they will be lighter or not! These are very light wheels.

Be patient and check ebay often. I grabbed a converted 18" Vrod wheel for $450 with good 180 rubber. Kept stock front & now ride radials. There is a huge difference going from bias to radial (ride & handling) so don't give up.

Depending on how the wheel is constructed you might be in for some swingarm adjustment.

I took a chance on the wheel I bought as the PO pics showed it very displaced to the right (when viewing from behind). But there is a lot of info on this site to address that so with that info I was able to get it pretty centered:
photo (12).jpg

images
images
According to this guy, he has road tested a car tire on his bike and will never go back to using a bike tire.....
http://lifeisaroad.com/stories/2004/10/27/theDarkSide.html

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny.
-Yoda (a long time ago)
dspullingoldtire.jpg

guess I will just stick with bias ply tires until someone makes a 150 or 170 R15 MC tire. Just can't justify the high cost of the suggestions here but I do appreciate the feed back.

I'll probably get flamed on this one but I'm kinda leaning on stepping onto the dark side with this for a rear tire.....165/80R-15 Nexen radial tire, which should fit.

$%28KGrHqJ,%21qQFISOd9oCBBSF3qz2T3%21%7E%7E60_35.JPG

I'll probably get flamed on this one but I'm kinda leaning on stepping onto the dark side with this for a rear tire.....165/80R-15 Nexen radial tire, which should fit.

You may have brought up a cheap solution for a lot of people. The height is close enough. I've never endorsed this before, but I think if I hadn't
already spent a ton of money I'd be on the Dark side band wagon. Now we can both get flamed.
rofl_200.gif

Steve-o

Latest posts

Back