Rain gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smithben1983

Reaction score
My wife and I are riding from Minneapolis to glacier national park in June and we don't have rain gear. I went into a local apparel shop to look at frogtroggs or what ever there called. They where running about $80 for the jacket and pants, they go over your other riding gear. But than I found an olympia jacket that I really liked for $300 on sale today for, I think, $240. That Jack had a buildbin removeable rain liner and warmth liner. But than I still don't have pants.
Right now we both just have leather jackets. Mine was a $60 jacket a buddy found at a truck stop for me. Hers is like $150 from fleet farm. She likes hers, I am kinda over mine. I hate how it bunches up on me in the front when riding. So I have been interested in jackets for a year or so. Questions for you guys, do you think frogtroggs are nice? Should I get that jacket well its on sale or just get some frogtroggs. Pros cons of all my thoughts here.
Sorry if the post isn't clean its hard to type long messages on my phone and I'm am out working today.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Hi smithy,

Wife and I went to do the Dragon a few years ago on a rented Goldwing and got caught in a real gully washer. Very heavy rain. The Frogtogs kept us dry. Nuff said.
Lew

i would get something that goes over your leathers. just my opinion. i don't know why, but i just don't have faith in a liner, plus call it OCD, but i would like to keep the jacket itself dry, not just my skin. i can't attest for frogg toggs. but i can comment on this: http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Rain-Gear/RS5001, which I've enjoyed for a year. the material is surprisingly thicker than i expected. i wore it over my spring/fall jacket this past winter (florida, 30-40ish F with windchill) and it helped keep my nice and toasty. the ONLY complaint is that because of the uprightish sitting position on a max, rainwater pools up in my crotch leaving the notorious "peed pants" on my jeans. road water does splash up the legs a bit and dampens the hem of the jeans, but i think that could be cured, if i had some pants stirrups to keep the rainpants legs in place. other than that i really love the fit and the extra pockets.

Ben, I bought cheapo's from Dennis Kirk I believe for under $30. Just a simple yellow jacket and black pants all rain proof. Work great!

Hey mark I was worried you would respond and make me feel bad for still not getting you the bumper stickers and beer! Gosh I wish I went the first day we talked if you would have got ahold of me 5 mins earlyer I was within blocks of the place! Now the only time I remember to stop/ have time there closed! I will get them for you in the next week or two! :beer::):beer: now about your rain gear. Do you find it to be hot at all? Cause DK is only an hour from me and I could just pick up from them. It seams like everyone says get an over coat.

Sent from my LG-P999 using Tapatalk 2

Been, no rush and thanks! The rain coat does get warm and so don't wear a coat with it.

I have a set of raingear from Tourmaster, seperate jacket and pants type that go over my Joe Rocket Sonic armored jacket. The jacket has a hood that fits under the helmet and prevents any water getting in around the neck.
The tourmaster pants fit well and they work great keeping me completely dry even though at times I had about a quart of water between my legs! My armored pants don't do that and I would get a wet crotch as Ninjineer described. Even with the possible wet crotch I normally wear the armored pants because they would protect me if I went down.
Waterproof boots are worth their weight in gold and if you don't have those, find some way to keep your feet dry. I wear Alpinstar Touring boots that are waterproof. Another good idea is to have water proof gloves. I also suggest that they be insulated if your hands are going to be in the wind and wet. I have a set of Alpinestars Stormriders GTX gloves w/ gauntlets which are armored so I do not sacrifice protection while riding in wet and/ or cold weather. Having both of these, along with good rainwear, you'll be able to ride further in comfort to keep on schedule.
Riding in several 3 hour + long downpours showed me the benefit of good rain gear. Riding on through the rain, which included fuel stops, remaining comfortable enough to want to keep on riding after fillup. A dry rider/ passenger will make a possible miserable situation tolerable which could make another long trip on a bike a no-go.

i would get something that goes over your leathers. just my opinion. i don't know why, but i just don't have faith in a liner, plus call it OCD, but i would like to keep the jacket itself dry, not just my skin.

Good call, my tourmaster rain suit will not fit over my Tourmaster Jacket. :ummm: Go Figure! If possible, try the rain gear on over your riding gear to make sure before you buy.

The wife and I have two piece sets made out of very heavy rubber, plus the matching pull over booties. I don't remember the brand, but they work VERY well on keeping the rain out. The problem is, they are so darn heavy - and hot - on the inside, they make us sweat so badly, if we wear them very long, we are so sweaty when we remove them, you'd think we got rained on anyway.

Our next sets are either going to be the Frogtoggs, or the beafier version called RoadToads.

So I just rolled in from a downpour. My boots have Velcro straps which I strapped the rain pants' Velcro straps in between...no wet jeans legs. I took a road with a bunch of traffic lights and emptied the crotch puddles at each red light. Results: bone dry

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

My armored pants make it look like I pissed my pants in the rain too. I might just pack my outdoor Carheart raingear. A one piece would be nice though. My little Bro likes his tourmaster sui, his Aerostitch leaks and cost a small fortune.

FrogToggs Definately. They roll up into a little stuff sack that packs nicely into the saddlebags. They are thin and lightweight and can fit over the leathers. I think I paid 69 for my set. The ones I have also came with reflective piping (no matter how cool you are you don't want to be run over by a semi in a rainstorm). I purchased mine in 2010 and they hold up nicely.

The longest I've used them straight was in a storm with heavy rain and strong winds from Wagner, SD to Cheyenne, WY (roughly 550 miles). I stayed dry the whole time. I even pulled the hood up underneath my full face helmet to keep water from running down my neck. They are thin enough that I didn't have any issues.

I also took them on a week long trip on small sailboat in the Bahamas to stay dry from the ocean spray. I ended up wearing them over my shorts and t-shirt for almost the entire week (who would have thought it would be in the 50s and 60s in the Bahamas.

So far my only sign of "wear" is that I melted a hole in them resting my leg on the pipe at a stop light. Luckily they make a heat resistant patch that you can put on (either to fix a hole or as a preventative measure). The best part is that you never have to re-waterproof them like most materials.

You can't beat the price point either. If I ever wear mine out, I would buy another set.

On a side note: for your wife I would definately recommend a set from the women's section if the option is available. I'm 5'8, ~135 lbs and the medium fits over my leathers. The crotch on the women's cut doesn't hang as low, which makes it a bit easier to straddle a motorcycle (as a passenger or operator).

My armored pants make it look like I pissed my pants in the rain too. I might just pack my outdoor Carheart raingear. A one piece would be nice though. My little Bro likes his tourmaster sui, his Aerostitch leaks and cost a small fortune.
I spray my armored pants with camp dry/ water proof fabric spray. I still have to "drain" the crotch area ofeten in a heavy rain. I pull my tank bag back and I lean forward to try to hide behind the mini shield but it only helps a little.My tourmaster Jacket and pantswork great, just wish I could wear marmor under the pants. I may look into some Bohn armored pants that fit under jeans.
One issue I saw last year with Frog Toggs and mufflers; the FT's tend to melt if they get together. If you can order them with the protective patch on the inside of the legs, like the Tourmaster, I would opt for it.

I spray my armored pants with camp dry/ water proof fabric spray. I still have to "drain" the crotch area ofeten in a heavy rain.
Redbone, do you have a favorite name brand? or will any "waterproofing fabric spray" do?
I find some solace in knowing that I'm not the only one suffering from wet crotch syndrome:rofl_200:

Redbone, do you have a favorite name brand? or will any "waterproofing fabric spray" do?
I find some solace in knowing that I'm not the only one suffering from wet crotch syndrome:rofl_200:
Kinda depends on the fabric on what you would choose to use, some fabrics you could get away with by just using a seam sealer, which is where the majority of the water gets in. Check out the different kinds of waterproofing, some you could use to waterproof (somewhat) your jeans.
My Fieldsheer armored pants have a breathable membrane so I would want to try to maintain/ enhance that by using a compatable product if possible. The seam sealer may work best for these pants since they have a technical fabric providing the waterproofing so I wouldn't want to degrade the techical aspect of the fabric by applying the wrong product.

I spray my armored pants with camp dry/ water proof fabric spray. I still have to "drain" the crotch area ofeten in a heavy rain. I pull my tank bag back and I lean forward to try to hide behind the mini shield but it only helps a little.My tourmaster Jacket and pantswork great, just wish I could wear marmor under the pants. I may look into some Bohn armored pants that fit under jeans.
One issue I saw last year with Frog Toggs and mufflers; the FT's tend to melt if they get together. If you can order them with the protective patch on the inside of the legs, like the Tourmaster, I would opt for it.

Yo Brian, I was wondering if the liner makes the armored pants water proof. It says water proof on the pants? My Tourmaster jacket seems to shed the rain well. A dam near super cell chased me from Danny's, for 200 miles, all the way home to the Cape last Summer. Thanks for the input.
Steve-o

Yo Brian, I was wondering if the liner makes the armored pants water proof. It says water proof on the pants? My Tourmaster jacket seems to shed the rain well. A dam near super cell chased me from Danny's, for 200 miles, all the way home to the Cape last Summer. Thanks for the input.
Steve-o
The liner in my armored pants is a quilted one, which I never use as the pants are warm enough on their own. The waterproofness on the Fieldsheer is a built in layer (like a Gore-Tex garment) that breathes but will not let water pass. This may be what you have as well? I need to seam seal mine though because of the seams in the crotch area will leak in water through the needle holes and thread pulling them open.

So I just rolled in from a downpour. My boots have Velcro straps which I strapped the rain pants' Velcro straps in between...no wet jeans legs. I took a road with a bunch of traffic lights and emptied the crotch puddles at each red light. Results: bone dry

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Man, you gave me an idea with those velcro.
Tired to get water going inside the short boots, but your solution will work just fine :p
Piece of velcro on the boots and on the pant, that way it stays in place :eusa_dance:

I've heard a lot of good things about the frogg-toggs, they always have them for sale at MC rallies and such, sometimes for a pretty good price. Remember seeing a full set once for like $75 or something.

I have a Helly Hansen set that I primarily use at work since I'm out on the water rain or shine, but they didn't cost much (like $60 for the bib pants and jacket), have held up really well and are comfortable.

I have zero storage on the bike, so when it rains I usually just deal with it. If I'm expecting rain, and yet for some reason take the bike, I stuff them in my backpack. The hood doesn't really fit under my helmet, not comfortably at least, so I get an occasional trickle of water down my back. Not really a big deal.

Back