Random loss of power

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dnthmn87

Reaction score
The other day I went to start my bike, turned the key on, everything seemed normal, but when I touched the start button, it made a little click and then no power to anything, neutral light off, nothin.:confused2: So I took the seat off, disconnected and reconnected the negative side of the battery, turned it back on, and it fired right up(new battery a month or so ago). I let it idle for 30 sec and turned it off to put it back together. Once back together, I turned it back on, all seemed normal, and it happened again, when I pushed the start button, it made a little click, and then then no power to nothin. :bang head: what the duke!!!???

??? 30 Amp Main Fuse broken but not blown, Faulty Kill Switch...:ummm: Just thoughts..

Bad high-amp connection somewhere? Check the battery leads as well as the connections on the starter relay that sits right above it. Also possibly the +12 to the starter could be loose.

The "click" is a powerful arc that ruins the meager electrical connection, you lose all power, shuffle things around a bit, you get a new weak connection, it happens again.

$0.02 deposited

Can I bypass the kill switch temporarily? I tried disconnecting the negative terminal again, but it didn't do anything this time. Main fuse is still good

Not real easily, it's wiring runs in with some others to a connector. I doubt that's the issue, because even if the switch went to "stop" from a bad connection the motor would cut out, but the lights would stay on. It controls power to the ignition but not the whole bike.

Finally got around to it, it was the stupid postive battery terminal, I replaced the battery a few months ago so I guess it wiggled a little loose, not much. Thanks guys!! Maybe one day i'll be cool enough to help others solve their motorcyce issue, instead of just asking for help all the time.
I'm glad I didn't get diggin in too deep without looking at the obvious things like battery terminals, I was thinking it might be something scary and more complicated.

I just ran into this. Make sure that when you turn the handles, the cable that connects from your starter switch to your ignition is not binding. It's routed in such a way that it will bind then pull the connector slightly out of the receptacle. I had to disconect it at the switch and reroute it. I had similar symptoms.

You'll know if it is an issue if you lose power to your headlights and your bike cuts out when you turn the handle bars.

Latest posts

Back