Re-rebuild the carbs?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BorgBiker

Reaction score
Hey guys, need some advice.

I had the carbs on my other Max (1996) cleaned and rebuilt about 1 1/2 years ago, and they've been sitting in a plastic bag in a box since then (all sorts of family issues).

A few days ago, I was getting ready to put them back on the bike, when I noticed that the choke lever didn't move the plungers - they seemed to be stuck, so I took them back to the stealer that 'rebuilt' them a year and a half ago. They let me know today that the carbs need to be rebuilt (again?), there's buildup and residue (according to them). They're wanting to charge over $200 in parts, and about $100 in labor. So a minimum of $300, probably more. I don't mind paying that if it's TRULY needed, but is this even possible? Should a set of carbs need to have all the seals, o-rings, etc replaced due to 'drying out' when they've not been on the bike since the last rebuild?

If I DO need to have them rebuilt again, I think I'll use someone here on the board. I have read great things about Dannymax. What do you all think?

Are you going to the clowns on ventura blvd or the ones on De Soto blvd?Did you check the the choke lever after they rebuilt them?

Hey guys, need some advice.

I had the carbs on my other Max (1996) cleaned and rebuilt about 1 1/2 years ago, and they've been sitting in a plastic bag in a box since then (all sorts of family issues).

A few days ago, I was getting ready to put them back on the bike, when I noticed that the choke lever didn't move the plungers - they seemed to be stuck, so I took them back to the stealer that 'rebuilt' them a year and a half ago. They let me know today that the carbs need to be rebuilt (again?), there's buildup and residue (according to them). They're wanting to charge over $200 in parts, and about $100 in labor. So a minimum of $300, probably more. I don't mind paying that if it's TRULY needed, but is this even possible? Should a set of carbs need to have all the seals, o-rings, etc replaced due to 'drying out' when they've not been on the bike since the last rebuild?

If I DO need to have them rebuilt again, I think I'll use someone here on the board. I have read great things about Dannymax. What do you all think?
If those carbs were rebuilt right & never used they should be just fine.

Dave

Are you going to the clowns on ventura blvd or the ones on De Soto blvd?Did you check the the choke lever after they rebuilt them?

DeSoto. Didn't know there was anyone on Ventura Blvd.

I don't really recall checking or not checking the lever, I had planned on putting them back on in just a few days, but one thing after another... Then I bought the 2002 and the 1996 wasn't a priority any longer. Now that I'm mostly done (the Mod Monkey is NEVER done!!) with the 02, I am putting on the leftover stock parts on the 96, and then I decide whether to keep or sell it.

I would like to make it look at least as good as when I bought it 4 years ago, but time is a precious commodity these days. I've got some time to figure it out, plenty more to do before it's ready to ride.

Thanks all, you have kind of confirmed what I thought.

Either
a). the dealer mechanic was not told that this was a return from their shop a year + out, and so he does the usual "song and dance" as if the carbs were fresh off the bike (also known as lying).
b). the guy did a crappy job the first time and someone else is now seeing the crappy job and inadvertently is now experiencing the foot-in-mouth syndrome for calling out their own work.
c). somehow little gremlins dried the gaskets/o-rings and gummed up the insides.

I'm inclined to believe it WASN'T c). So they won't be getting the work.

I had several PM's regarding this issue, thank you for all your insight.

I am closing on a house in two weeks, so all my money is tied up until then. So in early May I'll decide who I should deal with getting these things sorted.

So happy I still have one to ride with these awesome days we're having!:eusa_dance:

Borg, Chuck is local and i doubt ever mentioned on this site but more so in your area. He deals directly through Yamaha and make specialty parts for them. He is still in Van Nuys as i talked to him today.

I would say send them to Danny. You KNOW that they will be done right, and its supporting a member of the forum.

Latest posts

Back