Rear Tire

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenkrieger

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me please if a 170 tire,,,Metzeler or whatever will fit on the back of my Max. I can't seem to find the tire dimensions. I figured this would be the place to go for a good anser. thx.

KKrieger

Metzler or Shinko 170's will fit for sure.... I run Metzlers personally....

I run Metzlers too and love them for a Bias ply tire. I always have ran the stock size 150's but I might have to try the 170's!

SpecOps, How do you like the 170's on the back???

Shinko TourMaster 230 - 170/80 V15
or Metzler ME880 170/80 H15
Either will fit without any modification.

I switched the 94 to Metzler's from Dunlop's. I could feel a difference in 5 feet.....:rofl_200:I like the wider look of the 170's still 1/4 inch or so of clearance...

Really appreciate the quick reply and advice, I run Metzelers on all my older Yamaha's and love em so will go for the Metzeler for the 170, the Dunlop I put on the back wore out in 4K miles. Total waste of money.

KK

I found A Pirelli 170 that is the same 80 profile as well, still a Metzeler guy but there is another alternative to the Shino's, it got great reviews at the Superstore anyways.

KKrieger

I am also running the ME 880 and I was able to get 13k miles on it. Great tire, and as the others said the 170 fits just fine.

I switched the 94 to Metzler's from Dunlop's. I could feel a difference in 5 feet.....:rofl_200:I like the wider look of the 170's still 1/4 inch or so of clearance...

+5000 on the improvement from Dunlop/Bridgestones to Metzlers!!....Yup, 170 fits on no problem........

I think I could get a 180 on my wheel. 170 now with plenty of room. I believe Dave T. ran a 180 Metzler without a washer swap.
Steve

180 is bias is not recommended i think sean tried it once it handled like shit. too much rubber i think. dave t had cazz wheels so the 180 was a radial?

Narrower tires are actually better for "flick" and handling, but wider will give you better traction in a straight line....arguably what the Max was designed for.

Though I've found (at least at MC superstore) the 170 is actually $20-$30 cheaper than the 150. I assume because that 150 is kind of a "specialty" size it costs more.

I had about 6000 on my last Metz, had probably another 2k to go but even after repeated plugging/patching it just wouldn't hold air after picking up a nail literally on the first ride with it, so I chucked it. I ride fairly hard also....lots of high speed highway, hard accel, ect. Though I do try and keep the burnouts to a minimum....one big smoky one just kissed off 1000 miles of riding and tires are too expensive for that.

180 is bias is not recommended i think sean tried it once it handled like shit. too much rubber i think. dave t had cazz wheels so the 180 was a radial?
I'm 99% sure it was a stock wheel with a metxler 180 bia ply, before he went metric. I think Sean ended up with those wheels? I owe Dave a call and will cinfirm.
Steve

Narrower tires are actually better for "flick" and handling, but wider will give you better traction in a straight line....arguably what the Max was designed for.

Though I've found (at least at MC superstore) the 170 is actually $20-$30 cheaper than the 150. I assume because that 150 is kind of a "specialty" size it costs more.

I had about 6000 on my last Metz, had probably another 2k to go but even after repeated plugging/patching it just wouldn't hold air after picking up a nail literally on the first ride with it, so I chucked it. I ride fairly hard also....lots of high speed highway, hard accel, ect. Though I do try and keep the burnouts to a minimum....one big smoky one just kissed off 1000 miles of riding and tires are too expensive for that.

Agree but only for bias tyres ;)

Latest posts

Back