Rear wheel spacer help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just had my tires replaced with ME880s front and 170/80 back. I had then recieved a call from the shop who switched the tires. They had called because they found a spacer from someones rim. Maybe mine! I put every thing I had taken off by me back on in the same order. Could someone please post a picture of the rear spacer and the location as my manual does not show this. The front spacer is in I know along with the speedo gears. While tightening the rear axle I noticed the rear wheel would not turn. I had backed off the nut until it turned freely without any side play. I have put about 50 miles on the bike since at speeds of 80 or more. Now I"m worried! :damn angry:

does the needle bearing have its inner race? thats a longer 'tube' looking one, part 5 here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2003-yamaha-vmx1200r-v-max/o/m8018#sch249248

or could be the flanged one that goes against the regular bearing, #6 here:

http://www.bikebandit.com/houseofmotorcycles/2003-yamaha-vmx1200r-v-max/o/m8018#sch251336

take your wheel off. you shouldn't be able to see the regular bearing there should be a spacer with a flange to contact the inner race of that bearing there. could be wedged in the seal though

inner race of the needle bearing should be pretty straightforward. i'd check in the bearing, if u can see the needles then its probably that.

if you tightened the nut to spec the tire should turn. maybe not keep spinning easily but turn nonetheless. i'm guessing its the brake side if it stopped turning as forgetting the other one would just have excess play. at least thats what makes sense ot me right now. heh. let us know what you find out.

It should be the number 22 on the above 1st link. When someone modifies rear brake that washer is the first to go, or its taken to the left side when wider wheel is to be fitted. What happened is that they crunched the swingarm to fill that gap, that washer is about 4mm or 1/6"

I would not ride till you fix this issue. Is the caliper mounted when you tighten the axle nut? Take the caliper off then tighten the axle nut. Does the wheel spin free now? How much torque on the nut? The manual calls for too much Torque. There should be threads here regarding that.
Steve

I can't get to the bike right now because of O/T at work, probably not until monday. I called the shop and they only did two sets of tire swaps that were brought in ine being one of them. He said the spacer is about 4mm thick so i am assuming it's mine. Must have come out during the balancing the wheel. I will post up on what I find. :damn angry:

I had then recieved a call from the shop who switched the tires. They had called because they found a spacer from someones rim. Maybe mine!
wow, that's the LAST time I'd go there, mixing up and loosing pieces? uh uh. can't keep something simple as basic organization together is a big NEGATORY IMHO.

While tightening the rear axle I noticed the rear wheel would not turn. I had backed off the nut until it turned freely without any side play. I have put about 50 miles on the bike since at speeds of 80 or more. Now I"m worried! :damn angry:
are you using a service manual's torque spec to tighten up the rear? if so, i recall reading that a lot of the guys say that the torque spec called out by some service manuals is incorrect.

I just had my tires replaced with ME880s front and 170/80 back. I had then recieved a call from the shop who switched the tires. They had called because they found a spacer from someones rim. Maybe mine! I put every thing I had taken off by me back on in the same order. Could someone please post a picture of the rear spacer and the location as my manual does not show this. The front spacer is in I know along with the speedo gears. While tightening the rear axle I noticed the rear wheel would not turn. I had backed off the nut until it turned freely without any side play. I have put about 50 miles on the bike since at speeds of 80 or more. Now I"m worried! :damn angry:

:ummm: Could it be the washer swap spacer? Did you do the washer swap to fit the 170 tire? They often stick to the wheel when removing the tire for service. The grease from the axle and splines holds it there. Let us know, Spurs

I have played around with the rear wheel and removed the waser that is used in the washer swap. It doesn't change anything. Removing it does not make the wheel bind. Even when torqued to spec. Only thing that happens is the axle sticks out of the diferential a few mm more.

:ummm: Could it be the washer swap spacer? Did you do the washer swap to fit the 170 tire? They often stick to the wheel when removing the tire for service. The grease from the axle and splines holds it there. Let us know, Spurs

No I did not do the washer swap. There was plenty of room for the tire on the drive shaft side. Could the spacer from the brake side stick to wheel also?. Bike drives fine as far as I could tell. :confused2:

Dude. Take pictures of both sides by the axle and we'll tell you whats missing. I stick to my first opinion to be the washer between the swing and the brake bracket. the dreaded one that is put on the left side for tire clearance as noted several times already...

if the washer is in its original position and he brought the tire/rim to the shop i'm not sure how that'd be stuck to it. 4mm sounds like the one on the ball bearing to me.

I was able to pick up the washer in question from the shop that switched my tires. Heres the the pictures of it. Where does it go and does it belong to my rear wheel. :ummm:

Attachments

• 001.jpg
    001.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 16
  • 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 11
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 11
doh, I think your right dman! the fiche's resolution on my phone aint as good as it is on the PC

Attachments

• Brake Side Rear Wheel_Collar Location.jpg
    Brake Side Rear Wheel_Collar Location.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 38

Latest posts

Back