recent acquisition

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
I decided to pick this up and got it because it was in-need of someone to care about it. The best part is, there's a complete bike underneath it! Oh, it's missing a few things that I happen to have spares of, but I don't expect to be restoring it, just getting it running and then probably parting it out down the road. It came w/a title too, of course. Whatever CaptainKyle and patmax and SpecOps have, it's catching-and spreading to the east coast! :biglaugh:

The bike has been sitting for many years and the mileage is believed to be true. It's weathered, but not a rust-bucket or looking like a levee-flood victim. The engine turns over but it has a ways to go before running. The former owner didn't have the $ to fix it and finally accepted an offer to sell it. I don't think the bike has ever been out of the State of Florida.

Now, what-else was I going to say? :ummm:

Attachments

• 86 speedo.jpg
    86 speedo.jpg
    116.3 KB · Views: 70
  • JohnB.BCEMS.bike 034.jpg
    JohnB.BCEMS.bike 034.jpg
    89.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
Phil, I find each bike has its own story. I learn more
About the Vmax with each one I get whether to rebuild or part. It is getting easier to part a
Max mentally as before I thought I could save the world and every Vmax in it. I know once its parted that it is done and never to rumble in anger as a whole again. I can't help but feel that way and often wonder how a Max can fall into such derelict state but I think you
posted the comment about "fixes on the fly or under sail"'which I read to mean slap it together til you get to port to make a proper fix. Well, like my rattlecan, the proper fixes never come and the accumulation of neglect, no money, loss of interest, lack of skills or patience and just apathy conspire to kill a bike or a boat or plane or even a house. That makes me appreciate guys like yourself and SpecOps that spend more time, effort and money than justifiable to most people and do what the heart loves. My wallet and my life limit what I would like to do but I get profound pleasure at persons like Texas Tornado and the like that keep the souls of bikes alive if for just a few more years. Sounds almost like me and the Captain have been hitting the same bottle of rum tonight!

Haha, The Captain likes his rum, and we all can partake of a celebratory tip o' the glass when another VMax is found among the cobwebs, mouse crap, and forgotten possessions, and brought into the light of day to live again, or to be used as a parts donor for keeping our bikes on the road.

Too-often the attempts to jury-rig something cause more problems than they fix & the bike is put into a shed or garage, or worse-yet, rolled onto the side of the house or garage, and left to rust-apart into worthlessness. These bikes should at least be "organ-donors," so those of us who need their parts can keep riding economically. That is probably going to be the fate of this one.

Yeah, I posted about the 'flying fix,' repairing something while underway to avoid danger or being immobilized/unable to make headway on your intended route.

Anyone notice that the bobber which is a '96, the one w/the white tractor seat, has exactly ten more miles than my speedo shows?

Well if it makes yall happt here is a resarection in the works . I know Pat & Dave have seen this bike . It was pulled out of a backyard in Ft Lauderdale.

Attachments

• Troys Max & intake chrome frame 023.jpg
    Troys Max & intake chrome frame 023.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 43
  • Troys Max & intake chrome frame 020.jpg
    Troys Max & intake chrome frame 020.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 42
  • Troys Max & intake chrome frame 021.jpg
    Troys Max & intake chrome frame 021.jpg
    72.7 KB · Views: 41
  • Troys Max & intake chrome frame 022.jpg
    Troys Max & intake chrome frame 022.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 41
Anyone notice that the bobber which is a '96, the one w/the white tractor seat, has exactly ten more miles than my speedo shows?
The seat and the angle iron bracket on that thing bothered me the most when I saw tha thread.

That bracket looks like something a 10 yr. old kid on a farm would have made as his ol' man taught him how to use a 'buzz-box.'

His 14 yr. old brother would have taken a leaf spring off the rear-end of one of the junk cars rusting-away on the 'back-40' & used a gas-ax to creatively-shape a french-curve 'tongue' to mount the front of the saddle, and to provide some additional comfort/springing besides the 'beehive' springs under the rear of the seat.

Why didn't the guy spend a bit of time to at-least fab some-sort of cover over the wiring?

The seat and the angle iron bracket on that thing bothered me the most when I saw tha thread.

Kyle, I can't believe that is the same bike man! Looks great from the pictures and miles away from where it began. Did you pull the motor for the repaint? All new gaskets on the engine covers? Any hidden mechanical defects you discovered along the way? Inquiring minds want to know! This gives me hope for my project! I hope you can post some progress pictures as it comes along.
Patmax

When in doubt...Gas it !!!

Kyle, I can't believe that is the same bike man! Looks great from the pictures and miles away from where it began. Did you pull the motor for the repaint? All new gaskets on the engine covers? Any hidden mechanical defects you discovered along the way? Inquiring minds want to know! This gives me hope for my project! I hope you can post some progress pictures as it comes along.
Patmax

When in doubt...Gas it !!!
No I did not pull the motor just pulled it down to pretty much the motor & the frame. No new gaskets it has no leaks & runs great so no use pulling covers. Gonna put a diffrent set of forks on tomorrow & will post pics along the way. Not making a show bike just a decent looking rider since its for my buddy & he lives in an apartment with no garage.

Latest posts

Back