Regarding Kelly's Blue Book Prices...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elimax

Reaction score
Hi folks:

Let me preface this by saying I will NEVER sell my Max! (I'm asking about another bike I'm selling.)

Let me ask: Is there any logic to asking more than KBB states is a fair retail value for the resale of a used bike in basically bone-stock condition? This is for a private sale, not a retailer's sale, of a used bike.

Thanks.

Elimax

I have always asked what I thought the bike would be worth. If they want to haggle that' fine.

I sold my '86 goldwing for $2k over blue book about 8 years ago. The guy politely informed me what a 1986 Aspencade was in an '05 KBB, I agree'd with him. Then I told him if he could find a one owner wing, that was meticulously taken care of, all the paperwork on servicing, that was garage kept and had low mileag for that price, to jump on it. He himmed and hawwed, looked at his wife like a kid looking at his mom while in a toy store.

An hour later he came back with a cashier's check :)

goldwing.jpg

4ja9.jpg

fa5u.jpg

I still run in to him every once in a while. He's still in love with it. The nice thing is that he takes as good of care of the wing as I did. I hate seeing stuff I pampered turned to hell. But I have to say, I still miss that bike every now and then. It was a killer highway cruiser.

One thing I've never done was raise the price solely because of modifications. For that I've just done the 20% of cost thing. If I have $10k in mods, I'm only going to raise my base by about $2k. That formula seems to work for me up here.

Mods are funny. I have well documented mods and include some highly desirable ones, such as a sissy bar, race-tech suspension, quick release hard bags, etc.

I document every dime in upgrades I drop on the bike mostly in the event of an insurance claim, but I would do what I could to leverage that in the event of a sale as well.

I wouldn't feel bad about listing my nicely modded and well documented (photographs, date, time, price) ride for way above average. It will either find a motivated buyer that knows what they're looking for and knows it's a bike that's already loaded with shit they'd spend money on anyway, or it won't sell. The only reason to list at KBB for a good condition, well modified bike... is if you need the cash and need the bike gone.

I would recommend you check out the AMA "Black Book" This is an app you can down load from the android store. I don't know for certain, but I would guess it is also adverbial on iPhone. I found this app when I was trying to find a used bike I could get financing on. I found the credit union had a totally different value then the blue book, and the Black book was spot on.

As far as mods, they do have increeses in value for some addons like windshields and bags. (about $50 for each) My personal feeling is that you never figure on getting money back for the money you put in. The problem is that unless its exactly what the buyer wants, its a minus not a plus. We had an example not long ago of someone asking about the value of a max on here. The bike had a Stage 7 mod and forward controls The forward controls were about a $35o item. The bike had a stock exhaust. Almost everyone that replied regarding the value asked if it also had the stock control set up because most felt that was a minus opn the value. The stage 7 air mod was a little like that because most seemed to feel that it was of no value on a stock exhaust. The seller was figuring these add ons as a $500 plus to the value. Most on here seemed to agree that they had no value. Now to the one other person in the world that wanted forward controls, that was a plus- but not to most that use this forum.

IMHO, mods do not increse the vale of a bike, unless you retain the stock "take offs".

Craig

I agree with KJ....if your bike has been kept really nice, you can ask a premium for it and get it in most cases.

When I sold one of my 86 Vmax's that was in immaculate condition I had more than one person tell me "I know I can buy an 86 for xxxx amount of dollars". My answer always was "Not this one." LOL

Taking care of a bike does have some value to the right person.

Taking care of a bike does have some value to the right person.

That's one of the reasons I jumped on the chance to get Woona. The previous owner had taken really good care of her, including maintainence records. The only mods done was the addition of the luggage rack, back rest and a windshield. I took the windshield off, cause it is way bigger than I would want. Still, I think I got a good deal out of this.

Looking at what I want to do with my bike, I am thinking I could be easily putting $10k into her as well. I do not expect to see a penny of that back, but in the end, I suspect it will be money well spent. I do the mods for ME. Not what I think some future buyer might want. I will keep the original parts though.

I agree that a bike that's "Special" is worth more. One that has been kept super nice is worth more to me. One that has been brought back to pristine condition is too. I figure SkullDuggery has $4,000 cash invested plus 1500 hours of my blood, sweet, tears and time. I wouldn't hesitate riding from here to Alaska if my body were able. And, it's only worth $3,000 by Kelly Blue Book???????????:ummm:

Back