Regulartor and Rectifier - '90 Max - Need suggestions

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geek_Law

Reaction score
Hi Guys:

I just had the shop do some diagnosis on my bike because its failing to charge the battery while riding. I thought it was the regulator and it turns out, the regulator AND the rectifier are bad.

Then they quoted me ... and these are there words, my "first born" and "repeated ass rape." And that's just for the parts. Ugh.

Please tell me there is a cheaper way. I'm going to go pay for the diagnosis and take the bike home (It drives until the battery dies).

Can anyone point me to a better source for a new regulator and a new rectifier?

Your suggestions are sincerely appreciated.

Contact CaptainKyle or Sean Morley (Site Vendor), both have R&R's reasonable. Sean is in Kansas, Kyle is in Florida..

The regulator and rectifier are combined into one unit now-a-days. Been that way for about 30 years now. On older bike like my '78 gs they are 2 separate pieces but not on the Vmax. Not sure what the shop is trying to get over ya. Maybe it was just a miscommunication.

Either way, sean, kyle, python, all sell replacements. Or you can get one from a sportbike and put it in. There are some how to's on the forum

same question here, did the shop try saying both were bad?

Kyle is cheaper. I have the aftermarket units in stock as well. $75 plus shipping

The regulator and rectifier are combined into one unit now-a-days. Been that way for about 30 years now. On older bike like my '78 gs they are 2 separate pieces but not on the Vmax. Not sure what the shop is trying to get over ya. Maybe it was just a miscommunication.

Either way, sean, kyle, python, all sell replacements. Or you can get one from a sportbike and put it in. There are some how to's on the forum

EDIT / UPDATE / CORRECTION:

mabdcmb is correct. The regulator and rectifier are a combo unit. They gave me part number 42X 81960 A1 00 for that.

My STATOR is ALSO bad. That was the second part. So it was my mistake. They gave me part number 3UF - 81410 10 00 for the stator.

Ooops!

Geek_Law

Wow! Thanks guys for all the replies. I've been gone all day at the water park with my kids ... just got home, and saw a bunch of replies. I love this place.

EDIT / UPDATE / CORRECTION:

mabdcmb is correct. The regulator and rectifier are a combo unit. They gave me part number 42X 81960 A1 00 for that.

My STATOR is ALSO bad. That was the second part. So it was my mistake. They gave me part number 3UF - 81410 10 00 for the stator.

Ooops!

Geek_Law
I can do the Ricks Stators for $ 125 thats probably a lot cheaper than they quoted

Thanks again guys for all the tips.

KYLE: I should have asked you for a quote on the stator ... I ended up ordering one from a place in denver I think ... it was a little more. I paid $130 + $10 in shipping. I ordered it from http://www.pythonmotorsports.com. I don't know what the output is on it ... but at least I can get up and running.

So get this. The shop quoted me $470.00 for the stator and $230.00 for the reg/rectifier unit. Then they wanted $250.00 for the labor. Plus $100.00 for the diagnosis.

I thought the $100 that I paid for diagnostics was fair, but then when they told me it would be a grand for labor and parts I about flipped my top.

I went and picked up the bike, paid what I owed, drove it home, and posted here. With input from y'all, I realized that I was being taken for a ride. Kyle and Sean tell me that I can get a reg/rectifier for around $70 when I was just quoted $230 ... I couldn't believe it.

Then I found that stator online last night from python for $130 vs the $470 that I was quoted ... and so then I was totally pissed. Also, I've had the stator out of my bike before (when I powdercoated the engine parts) and I knew it didn't take 2.5 hours of labor.

Anyway, with encouragement from the forum and the shock of thinking I'd have to spend $1000 to get my bike running starting to wear off, I go out in the garage and pull out a box of parts that the old owner gave me.

As if the heavens opened upon me, there is bloody aftermarket regulator/rectifier sitting in the box! I remembered the owner saying something about trouble shooting a problem, thinking it was the reg/rec, but then finding something else and so not replacing it. It looked brand new, but the terminals had been plugged in before, so that was consistent with what he said. I didn't even think about it before. It's been almost two years since I bought the bike.

I swapped it out, and found that an old nasty thin OEM unit was on the bike. The new one is probably twice as thick with cooling fins on it. So I plugged it in, but buttoned the bike back up. Probably took just 20 minutes. The longest was trying to figure out where the thing was ... luckily I have a repair book and it shows the location there under the LH panel and mounted to the little rear peg brace adjacent to the drive shaft (in case anyone else goes looking).

I couldn't take the bike for a ride because it was midnight and I was leaving town the next morning (I'm on the freeway now ... passenger seat; not driving), but I started it up and the bike is definitely acting better. Before, the blinkers were acting all funky when it was running ... now they act normal. I'll have to test it out when I get back, but the new unit seems to have improved my situation just with that quick observation.

Once the stator arrives, I'll throw that in, and I should be up and running.

So in the end, I'm gonna be into it just $100 for the diagnosis, $140 for the aftermarket stator, and a little time. $250.00 total. Would have been just a tad over $300 if I had to get the regulator/rectifier but I lucked out already having the unit.

Anyway, that is still way better than having to spend $100 for the diagnosis and $1000 for parts/labor. I'm still ticked at the shop. I use them for tons of stuff on my bikes and I cannot believe what they've done. I don't know if their source really quoted them that high of prices and they really didn't know about the aftermarket parts (I didn't know about them) or if they were taking me for a ride.

Anyway, thanks so much to everyone for the help. I was in a total bloody panic when I posted, and now I'm thinking if I can get the bike fixed for $250 total, then that's not a bad deal.

Sorry about the super long post.

Nothing wrong with saving yourself $750.00! That is one of the reasons this forum is great. Also, one of the reasons its bad....It gives you even more ideas on how to spend your money too.

Keep in mind that the prices the shop was giving you is probably OEM parts which can sometimes have better long term reliability. I can sell the ricks parts too but most of the time use good used OEM stators. The OEM stator is $469 so right at what they priced you.

You may only need to clean up the stator connections too since they tend to corrode and create some serious draw and heat (melted connectors are common).

Sean

Hey thanks Sean. I will see about just cleaning it up... Although I ordered that other one already. I am glad to hear that I was quoted the corrrect price.

How do you know whether the stator is working right? Do you measure at volts at the terminal with the bike running? i will have to research that a bit.

Back