Relay Identification

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maxist

Reaction score
I started up my vmax yesterday and had it running in the driveway and the bike just died like someone turned it off. Now it will not start. The engine turns over, but will not start. I'm looking at the side stand switch and side stand relay, but the wire colors in the service manual do not match any of the wires to the relays. I think the side stand relay is the one attached to the pressure sensor behind the relay board, but I'm not sure since I tried measuring the continuity from the side stand switch back to what I think is the relay, but I'm not getting any continuity. Anyway, can anyone confirm which relays are which in the pics I attached? Also, if the bike is in neutral, will the side stand shut it off if placed in the down position?

nwh2ty.jpg

Flasher relay has five wires, SCCR relay has 4 wires. Fuel pump relay has 6 wires.

Is the SCCR relay the starter cut off or side stand reay or something else?

Correct, the first one...the sccr is starting circuit cutoff relay. I don't believe your '94 should have a sidestand relay. My manual says last year for those was '92.

Thanks Mark, I must have an older manual, since my bike is a 94. Do you know of any websites I can download the electrical schematics for my year of bike?

Doug, here's the late model wiring diagram from factory manual. I don't have the parts number page scanned in so let me know if you need to no a particular number. Most should be self explanatory.

VmaxWiringdiagram90up.jpg

Thanks again! That should keep me busy tonight!

Anytime. FYI,

#14 is fuel pump relay
#20 is sccr
#30 is turn signal relay

After looking at this in more detail, could you let me know what the folowing parts are:
19, 23, 24, 26

19: starter button
23: sidestand switch
24:neutral switch
26: oil level switch

What's the number for the pick up coils?

Sean is sending me his electrical test loaner so hopefully I can pinpoint the issue. After thinking about it, it's either an intermittent ground, the common wire to the ignitor module that goes to the side stand and neutral switch, the pick up coils or the Ignitor module itself. The bike has died on me while running in gear as well as parked in neutral. When running it runs great.

Thanks again for the help. I'll keep you posted on what I find.

Pickup coil is #8. THere is only one (2-pin) on late models.

Any idea why the fuel pump relay receives the tachometer signal?

Yes, it's a safety feature. This is why the fuel pump only clicks a few times before stopping when you first turn on the key. The fuel pump should only run continuously while the bike is running.

I just checked for spark and no spark so I think I can rule out the fuel pump relay. It clicks when I turn the key on anyway. I noticed by plug boots are all rotted at the bottom closest to the cyclinder head. I'm going to replace them since if the boots are that bad the wire insulation can't be that much better.

I would test primary and secondary ignition coil windings too. Clean where wires plug into coils.

Does the max use special plug wires or can I just use a set of Auto plug wires? No COPS here just stock config.

I buy regular 7 mm copper core by the foot off the spool.

What do you use for the boots that fit over the plugs? Just reuse the old ones? Mine are falling apart.

Back