Removed exhaust=better throttle response

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ost85vmax

Reaction score
Hello to all you pros! I have a question for those more knowledgeable than myself. Yesterday I received some very very nice exhaust parts from the highly recommended Mr. Morley! I have a Kerker 4-2-1 and he redid my midpipe and can/cap. So i removed the old the put on the new. Of course I wanted to hear it fired up with these removed so I did so and wow what a sound. More importantly the throttle response seemed ALOT better. I thought I herd that removing the baffles or can that it will make the motor run rich??? If this is the case and I get better throttle response with them off would this be an indication that I need to richen up my carbs? Im not a pro at this carb stuff at all so any type of inpput would be greatly appreciated. If it is the case what would I be looing to do? Shim the needle out a bit?

Thanks all, this forum is like having a full time mechanic!

actually opening up the exhaust will lean out the fuel mixture. and yes it may seem like you have better response. however if the carbs are in stock form yull prolly notice a lil drop in power.

i like to keep the carbs stock and not mess with jetting and needles and such .

however,plenty of folks here dabble in that stuff and will be happy to help you out.

Normally the common thinking is that reducing exhaust restriction leans up the mixture but that's actually the opposite on these CV carbs.

Latest posts

Back