Revenge Race Today...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HDKILA

Reaction score
Took a trip out to freeport on the Max this morning. My good friend Al lives out that way. It's 90 miles west of my house. He owns an 07BMW R1200GS.

Last year when I bought my max and it was running like watery dog shit he raced me and beat me by a few lenghts. My bike was missing all over the place and when I tried to explain this to him he told me no it wasn't!

Anyways I promised myself I would go back and whoop his ass at the earliest oppurtunity once my max was running right. WELL TODAY WAS FINALLY THAT DAY!

He has been gone the last several months on a long road trip with the GS. Today he invited me over and even though the heat index was over 100 I jumped on the max and took the trip!

Once I got out there we went for ride down a local highway in the middle of nowhere and I could tell by his attitude he was excited to beat me again. We had just balanced his throttle bodies and he was feeling good about it basically...

We get a light and I look over at him and tell him I will give him the jump. He tells no thanks that he will give me the jump! HAHAHA! The light turns green and I actually spun the tire on my launch. It felt dam good! I get through 2nd gear about 2 seconds later doing near 80 and he is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY the hell back!

I could tell he knew this time would be different now! We then do a few roll on's from various speeds and even though I gave him the hit each time I would fly by with authority each time. Several races got over 125-130 and I was so far ahead at that point I could barely see him in my mirrors!

On a sidenote I had a very scary moment when leaning the bike at 115...the front tire felt a little wobbly! Needless to say I will only race on a straight at that speed after that experience...

It felt good to teach Al a lesson in basic maxmatics...and revenge felt dam sweet! Afterwards we stopped by a local bar and he bought me a cold coke! All he talked about was how he can't believe it was the same bike! :clapping::punk::eusa_dance:

hahaha nice story man. too bad that coke wasn't a beer eh?

fair enough brotha. figured u were also possible just drinking coke b/c u were on the bikes which would also be a good call..

hey, did u end up grabbing that damper?

Did you use your nitrous?

I did one roll on race from around 40ish with the nitrous. I missed third gear on that race but was so far ahead it didn't matter. I popped it back into third and off to the races I went.

Definetly DID NOT need the nitrous for his bike. I would guess in a 1/4 mile run I am right around 1 second ahead of this bike.

Abe

fair enough brotha. figured u were also possible just drinking coke b/c u were on the bikes which would also be a good call..

hey, did u end up grabbing that damper?

Not yet...but i'm thinking about it after what happened during the race! You ever hear about aftermarker fork braces?

Not yet...but i'm thinking about it after what happened during the race! You ever hear about aftermarker fork braces?

didn't know if u were the one who grabbed the hyperpro on ebay.. ended up going for about $210. those shindy/daytonas are still up there.... still gonna try a different tire first... it may be the slight wobble thats already in the shinko causing mine.

i've heard of the fork brakes, not sure if thats my issue tho. one thing at a time i guess.

Don't know much about aftermarket fork braces but, realistically, how much flex could there possibly be in the stock fork brace? I doubt there's very much.

Don't know much about aftermarket fork braces but, realistically, how much flex could there possibly be in the stock fork brace? I doubt there's very much.

+1. I'm skeptical of any claims of improved handling provided by a fork brace for the max. :confused2:

i would think the swingarm is more susceptible to flex as well. but as danny and i were chatting about, everyone's wobble is different, i guess some could be caused by the front end?

Awesome Abe! I'm starting to wonder if those Shinkos are really worth the cost savings. Me thinks they aren't up to the standards of the name brand tires out there.

Just a thought.

So what did your buddy say to you after the race?

Chris

Awesome Abe! I'm starting to wonder if those Shinkos are really worth the cost savings. Me thinks they aren't up to the standards of the name brand tires out there.

Just a thought.

i 'm starting to have similar thoughts....:bang head:

You both have them right? You both also have the wobble. I'd really like to see someone spoon a metzler ME880 on there and see what happens...

Chris

Just a thought.

So what did your buddy say to you after the race?

Chris

Talking to the guy @ Tires Unlimited and mentioned to him that the Shinkos were about 1/2 the price of ME's. He said, "You can't compare the two, ME's are in a totally different class than Shinko's."

Soon as these are worn out I'll be going back to ME's....ME33 Laser tech on the front, ME880's rear.

+1. I'm skeptical of any claims of improved handling provided by a fork brace for the max. :confused2:
I think the fork braces would be more effective for the pre '93 forks. When I put mine on I noticed a little better steering precision, but I put it on over the winter so I don't have a back to back comparison to go by. I also put on lighter rotors so maybe it's just less unsprung weight that makes it feel that way too.

Back