Revenge Race Today...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spooning a tire on is like saying installing a tire. They used to use tools that resembled a spoon when installing tires.

Hence spoon an ME880 which is a Metzler tire.

Chris

danny and I will by trying a rim swap at one point which should shed some light on this. esp since i do have the tire wobble on mine in the front (not in the rear). i think my wobble is front end related tho, not rear end. no real reasoning, just a 'gut' feeling.

i also guess we have officiall hijacked the thread.... sorry abe!

what size shinko are u running up from abe?

I'm doin a 120 shinko up front with 170 rear. I've had pretty decent luck with em so far. Not sure how many miles I put on them yet. I'd say 500 or so. No wobble down low. I can run it up to varying speeds like 40, 50, or 60 and let go of the bars with both hands with no fear.

My issues with the max aren't the wobble, it the bouncing or maybe the "tail wag" i've heard others describe. Going through a turn, sometimes not even hard, it just feels like its bouncing. Not sure if its shocks/swingarm/frame flex, or something else.

Sorry, not trying to hijack the thread after Garrett alread did once:biglaugh:

Frame braces and proper torquing of the swing bolts help with that. Swing arm bracing even more.

Awesome Abe! I'm starting to wonder if those Shinkos are really worth the cost savings. Me thinks they aren't up to the standards of the name brand tires out there.

Just a thought.

So what did your buddy say to you after the race?

Chris

I have close to 1000 miles on my shinkos they work just fine. I have run the bridgstone and the Avons they handle just as well., and the rear tire does grip better. Probably 800 miles is nasty mountain roads with numerous 20 to 30 mph curves. I did notice the front tire likes 40 psi instead of 33 I started at. With 33 there was a little shake to it. At 40 PSI it works great.

danny and I will by trying a rim swap at one point which should shed some light on this. esp since i do have the tire wobble on mine in the front (not in the rear). i think my wobble is front end related tho, not rear end. no real reasoning, just a 'gut' feeling.

i also guess we have officiall hijacked the thread.... sorry abe!

what size shinko are u running up from abe?

Stock size in front...I'm gonna try the 40 PSI as one member rec'd and see what that does. It's around 32 PSI right now...

MAN! That's a lot of pressure for a front tire... To much for me.

I still can't see why it needs it. Metzler and Dunlops work just fine with stock settings.

I need a new front tire soon, and had been contemplating the Shinko because of the price. I highly doubt I'll ever switch my rear to anything but a Shinko.....the rubber disappears too fast so it'll help keep my pockets a bit more full. I'll definitely go with a Metz on the front though.

just tried 40 psi. helped a bit. still a wobble tho

give it a little time at 40. I rechecked mine for any sort of wobble last night and there is none. I do not usualy remove my hands from my Vmax bars for any reason lol. The decel at around 40 was always the worst. I have zero now. Plus I have around 1000 on my shinkos and they seem to ride better now that when I first got them.

My issues with the max aren't the wobble, it the bouncing or maybe the "tail wag" i've heard others describe. Going through a turn, sometimes not even hard, it just feels like its bouncing. Not sure if its shocks/swingarm/frame flex, or something else.

I think you described what my Max does...

My XS1100 used to do exactly the same thing...

I think you described what my Max does...

My XS1100 used to do exactly the same thing...

+1-My '99 does this, especially on an entrance ramp when under acceleration to merge into traffic, if there's a dip in the road or something that will load and unload the suspension, it will do that 'tail wag' thing. That's with Progressive springs and Progressive 412 shocks.

+1-My '99 does this, especially on an entrance ramp when under acceleration to merge into traffic, if there's a dip in the road or something that will load and unload the suspension, it will do that 'tail wag' thing. That's with Progressive springs and Progressive 412 shocks.

Interesting that you say that - it's helpful to know that you have progressives. That leads me to the swingarm and steering head bearings, then!

I recall reading somewhere that a tail wag as you describe is often caused by the steering head bearings being to TIGHT:twocents:
Try the bounce test: On the center stand, sit on the passinger seat lifting the front wheel off the ground. Let the bars fall to either side---they should just barely bounce off the stops.
If they don't fall--- to tight, big bounce--- to loose.

Hope this helps
Lew

I recall reading somewhere that a tail wag as you describe is often caused by the steering head bearings being to TIGHT:twocents:
Try the bounce test: On the center stand, sit on the passinger seat lifting the front wheel off the ground. Let the bars fall to either side---they should just barely bounce off the stops.
If they don't fall--- to tight, big bounce--- to loose.

Hope this helps
Lew

Very well could be. Haven't had enough time to get to repairs right now. The little time I do have is out on the road. I will get to it soon, though and find the problem.

Latest posts

Back