scoop and engine guard repair?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kenom

Reaction score
OK, I dumped the bike. Damage was pretty minor overall, but I've got some questions in regards to repair of the motorcycle parts that were damaged.

I scraped up the faust scoop a little bit and need some recommendations. is it better to repair (sand and polish out the scrapes) or to replace the scoop? You can see in the picture that the damage isn't really all that bad, and I believe I can sand it down well enough to even it out and then polish it up to remove all traces of the sanding. What do you think? I've never done anything like this before so all suggestions are appreciated (I do have a high speed polisher/buffer for polishing aluminum laser hosts I manufacture)

DSC01439.JPG

Also, I did damage the engine guard and bent it a little bit. I'm thinking the damage to that wouldn't have been so bad, had the thing been completely bolted on. Should I try to bend it back or totally replace it?

DSC01441.JPG

Oh and another question. I think I know the answer to this one, but would like some input on it as well.. it's not related to the damage or the dumping the bike. This problem existed prior to the bike being dumped.

The bowl drain tubes have a tree sap like build up that continues to show up regardless how many times I've pulled it off. It is hard like dried tree sap. Not sticky in that it wont' stick to my fingers but I can feel that it is a little bit tacky. It is my belief that this stuff is gas that has "turned" from sitting in the bike over the winter and all my attempts to remove the "schellack" have met with failure. I have put seafoam in the bike, as well as inspected the tank and there appears to be no rust or particulates in the tank. I've put probably a total of 6 refills in the tank since I purchased the bike (each time adding more seafoam) and have done the peashooter and shotgun to clean out the carbs. The particulates you see in the pictures I suspect were dust and debris blown onto the substance by the wind externally and did not come from the tank/bowls. What are your impressions?
DSC01437.JPG

DSC01436%20%282%29.JPG

Scoop can be fixed with JB Weld as long as there are no structural breaks. Powder coating both sides would be the best option after
it's fixed and clear/paint stripped and prepped. PC will stick to the JB Weld from what I've been told.

Bend the engine guard back to it's normal position and live with any scratches.

The drain hose ???????? Possibly a leaking drain screw. Are you using Ethanol in your fuel. It'll eat some hoses and make a gummy mess...
The hoses can be replaced with new line of the correct size. I use small cable ties to keep them at the same positions in the holders.

Good Luck,
Dave in Florida...

I think carb cleaner would take that stuff on the hose off, or cheap and easy to replace them. I'd try cutting that scoop down with 80 grit, then work your way to 1500-2000 grit and get a nice polished finish, if you like that look and the scratches arren't too deep.Or, you can clear coat it with low gloss clear or powder coat it. Fill and painting would work too.
The engine guard? It won't be easy to bend, but I'd give it a shot.
Steve

Last edited:
I never considered filling in the scratches. I wouldn't like to go that route as I love the silver look and was even considering going so far as to polish it all the way down to a chrome like look. I once saw an entirely chromed V-max and thought that it was the sexiest thing on the planet. Tank, scoops, fenders, everything was chromed!

As to the drain hoses, I'm not concerned with cleaning them as much as I am in identifying why it is happening and what it is. As we all know, it's very simple to change out a hose.

You might want to fix your clamps on the one side of the manifold. Looks like the rubber around the butterflies or the stage seven tubes on one side are a bit skewed. Check the rubber and get the clamps in the location they are suppose to be and tighten them down. Looks like a possible leak area for sure.

Todd

You might want to fix your clamps on the one side of the manifold. Looks like the rubber around the butterflies or the stage seven tubes on one side are a bit skewed. Check the rubber and get the clamps in the location they are suppose to be and tighten them down. Looks like a possible leak area for sure.

Todd

Ahahaha figured someone would see that. I don't plan on messing with that until I put all the V-boost butterflies and such back where they belong, but FIRST I need to buy some. I'm not overly concerned about leaking there for one season. :)

I agree w steveo file down Smooth then work it w wet sand paper 80,220,400,600,1000 and buff if the scratches are deep they may not come out 100% but will look better . Don't use bondo if you are going to pc.

I won't be PC'n the scoops. If it comes down to that, I'll sell the scoops and buy new ones. Not saying there's anything wrong with powder coated scoops, just not fer me.

You really should get those clamps in place. If you get a leak in there you may get into a lean condition that can fry your valves... It seems you have a restricted model am i right?

if you mean a model that came without a V-boost from the factory, then no. This bike has a Stage 7 kit installed. The previous owner got rid of the V-boost and I'm in the process of paying off a replacement set.

I think we can chrome your scoops (they will smooth and blend the scratches). The engine guard can easily be straightened out and then have it smoothed and coated (or chromed).

Sean

Ooh now that would be cool. How much we talkin here Sean?
would you like some better shots of the scratches?

Latest posts

Back