Scoop mount directionals

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
Here's the latest mod for my Max...scoop mount directional "rings". I came up with this as I was cruising the Custom Dynamics page, looking at all the shiny bits and gadgets, when I saw amber LED strips. I had recently noticed that the small, super short stalk turn signals the P/O of the bike put on were pretty difficult to distinguish from the headlight, being so close. It "clicked" and I decided to supplement the front turn signals to get a bit more visibility by running an amber strip around the inside lip of the scoop, effectively creating an amber ring in the shape of the scoop that would flash with the turn signals.

Here's
the strips I ordered. $11 shipped for two 12" strips.

Okay, here's the how-to with pictures. Excuse the crappy quality, cell phone cam.

You will need:
4, 5mm allen keys
Solvent/cleaner(I used carb cleaner) and a rag
Splice/butt connectors and something to crimp with(I use channel locks)

Start by removing the airbox lid and both scoops. Set the lid aside, but keep the scoops handy. The scoops take a 5mm allen key to remove.

Now as is the case with LED's, polarity matters and they won't light if you hook them up backwards. My strips had two identical wires with no labeling, so I tried it on a battery first to determine which was positive. If your strips aren't labeled, find this out first to avoid hassle later.

Now, use whatever cleaner you like and prep the area where the strips will go on the inside edge of the scoops, just in front of the grate. I put some carb cleaner on a rag and ran it around to get any grime/bug residue off and help the strips backing stick better.
NOTE #1: As you can see, the 12" strip is not long enough to go all the way around the scoop. For future modders, you may want to try and get one that's 15 or 16" long.
To make the look as clean as possible, I put the wire-end of the strip in the bottom corner closest to the bike, so the wires can tuck behind the grate almost immediately.
Once the strip is stuck on, use the 4mm key to loosen the bottom screw that holds the grate on the scoop. Once it's loose, pry it up a little and shove the wire through it, but don't re-tighten it yet. Take the determined negative wire, cut it short, then strip a fair amount off the end. Tuck it between the grate and scoop, around the bottom grate screw, then tighten it back down to pinch it in....that's your ground.
Mine looked like this:

Now, set the scoops back on the bike, but just loosely put the top screw in for now.

Remove the headlight bucket, disconnect the headlight bulb, then set the bucket aside. Also in there, you'll see two wires with bullet style connectors... one is brown(chocolate in the manual), and the other is green(dark green in the manual). The brown wire is the "flash" power for the left, and the green is for the right. The wires attached to these strips were so thin, I just pulled the bullet connector apart, slipped the strip's wire in there, then put it back together. They're grounded to the scoop(bolted to the frame), so wiring is done.

NOTE #2: If you have to remove the scoop and set it aside, you will now have to pop the headlight out and separate the factory bullet connectors and get the wire out. I rarely ever have to remove the scoops, so this isn't that big of a deal for me. If that isn't kosher with you, I'm sure you could rig up a harness quick connect that would live behind the scoop to make disconnecting it faster.

Now, turn the key on and turn on a blinker. If everything is right, the strips will flash with the lights. The additional load from these is so small and insignificant it will cause no change in the speed of the flashing. Put your headlight back in, bolt the scoops back up all the way, and admire your HAWT new look.

If it doesn't look super bright, it's because it's not. These are super low profile strips and as such have really small LED's. They were also like $5 each. Still at night, they are plenty visible from a ways away and since they're not right next to a much brighter white light, a lot more "eye catching" when they blink. You can get amber LED strips from Custom Dynamics, but be prepared to pay a LOT more. I wanted to do this on the cheap.

Anything to make others see you is a plus IMO.
Nice Job looks good.

If you do a lot of night riding, get the HID setup for your vmax. I think you could jusitfy $47 over your life? I know I did! I have never experienced bright pure lighting until you try HID. I did this upgrade and you see everything and I KNOW everyone sees me for sure. I would say my HID's are 5 times as powerful/bright as the stock lighting and I was running a 90/100 xenon bulb. Its pure white with a hint of blue. I get people staring at my vmax all the time and the addition of these HIDs are even more so now. They make day viability better too for others oncoming!

I like the idea to add light in front. Visibility is a life saver.
Those LED are hard to notice when not turned on, that's nice

But unfortunately I don't dig much the LED on front.
The LED won't be seen so much compared to the headlight I guess.
But those LED could be nice on the side, I always thought bikes were lacking of light on each side which make us almost invisible at night in intersections.

As I noted, there are much brighter LED strips available, just they cost a lot more. Rather than $11 for two, you'll pay $25 for one. I also chose these since it's in a clear flexible jacket, and they're very thin so they're really not noticeable when they're not on. Some others come in a square tube that's a lot bulkier, and would be pretty noticeable on the scoop.

I've heard a lot of mixed reviews about HID conversions, specifically with the cheaper ones. I see HID kits that cost several hundred, then I see ones supposedly equivalent for $50. I've heard a few bad stories from the el cheapo HID kits crapping out, leaving you to drive home at night by your amber marker lamps.

My mother's car has HID headlights and while they're nice, the only difference I notice is the "cutoff" is much sharper in the beam on low. The highbeam is maybe "whiter" than regular bulbs, but I don't notice that it's substantially brighter or more useful. Maybe the difference is more pronounced on a motorcycle, but I can't bring myself to trust a $50 kit, and it's not a big enough deal for me to shell out hundreds to get a "whiter" headlight. I can buy a LOT of lightbulbs for the price of a HID kit.

Thanks for the write-up. I have a HID upgrade waiting to install along with front LED blinkers. I may do the scoop LED all at the same time.

I added some PIAA LED driving/daytime lights as shown in the attached... at present busy sorting out the body rework
so it can be sent to paint.

Cheers John
(England UK).

Attachments

• vmax Oct 2010 016.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 016.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 49
  • vmax Oct 2010 017.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 017.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 58
  • vmax Oct 2010 018.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 018.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 54
  • vmax Oct 2010 019.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 019.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 52
  • vmax Oct 2010 020.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 020.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 49
  • vmax Oct 2010 021.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 021.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 47
  • vmax Oct 2010 022.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 022.jpg
    57.7 KB · Views: 48
  • vmax Oct 2010 023.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 023.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 48
  • vmax Oct 2010 024.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 024.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 47
  • vmax Oct 2010 025.jpg
    vmax Oct 2010 025.jpg
    76.8 KB · Views: 45
You gotta post some more pictures of that man! That's one unique Max.....is that a sportbike's tank for the rear fender?

The bodywork originally came from the bike shown attached (gold) and then migrated to the next black and silver which is where I picked up the tank, seat and pipes. The seat has a fuel tube extension that connects to the standard vmax tank for ease of fuelling. Tank is an expansion of the standard max dummy tank. The seat has been made as a one off and needs a seat pad made.

thanks for the intrest, will get some full side pics when I get it off the work bench.

Cheers

JOHN

Attachments

• IMG_4354.jpg
    IMG_4354.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_4355.jpg
    IMG_4355.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 40
  • p52.jpg
    p52.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 34