" sea foam "

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 'peashooter' basically involves shooting some carb cleaner or SeaFoam into the top carb jets while the bike is running to clean 'em out a bit.

The 'shotgun' is actually a lot more effective in cleaning the bit that clog up most often, and I would highly recommend it over the peashooter any day.

http://vmax.lvlhead.com/tips/shotgun.htm

Re: " sea foam "

I have seafoam in my tank right now...

smokin' a little bit too -

I swear by seafoam as well. Used it in my trans am, my oldsmobile, my tercel... now my Vmax..

the trick is finding it cheap here in Canada. Napa likes to GOUGE and charge 15 bones a can.
________
vaporizer review

Last edited:
Hey Cop Runner!

Rumor has it you may have used Sea Foam in the past.

If so, could you share your experience with it please?

Thanks in advance!

RR

I agree that that stuff works miracles. When I first bought my old GS450, it had been sitting for about 3 years. A new battery got it to fire up, but it ran like crap, would idle for about 5 seconds then die, and only had the power to do like 30mph. Being lazy, I dumped half the can of sea-foam in the full tank and went for a leisurely cruise. Within 10 miles it was markedly better, it would idle roughly but wouldn't stall. Ran it some more, was getting better by the minute. After about half the tank rank though, it was running great. Steady, smooth idle. It's admittedly limited power (23@ wheel if I remember) was at least in full force, and would scoot my butt to right about 85mph if you gave it enough space. Ran the second half in the next tank to be sure, and I never had a problem again after that for 9k miles. Never touched the carbs.

I used in in my ancient LT230 quad which had been running like crap at my work for years. It would start and move and nobody cared enough to go through it. I bought it off the work for peanuts, and a can of sea-foam make the little thumper run like a champ.

It's deceptively simple: about 50% pale oil, about 30% naptha(a.k.a mineral spirits), 10% isopropyl, and 10% water. The alcohol keeps the water from separating out, and that plain water is what actually cleans the carbon out and makes all the smoke. Suck plain water through a vacuum line and you will get the same if not better cleaning effect. Water dissolves carbon, oils don't due to electronegativity differences resulting in different molecular bonding(same reason why oil and water won't mix by themselves).

Sea-foam seems to be up there with "should I run premium gas" and "is synthetic better than conventional oil" for all-time biggest hot-button forum topics. Search "sea foam" and you'll find long-winded arguments about it on forums ranging from antique tractors to racing boats. It's definetly a "Joe Everyman" product. Technicians(particularly certified or formally educated) always seem to be too proud to admite that a snake-oil fix can be effective since it's not "the right way" and condemn it as being potentially harmful

I've had good luck with a product called Power Tune in my job of fixing small outboard motors, sold under the Mercury Marine brand name. It works similar to sea-foam in that it directs you to spray it into the carb of a running motor, gradually spraying more and more until the motor starts to load up, then to blast it and pull the choke. Let sit 15 minutes, start, smokes like hell, runs a lot better. It's this very very foamy stuff in an aerosol can, you can find it at marinas and boating stores.

Nice write-up!

Two things I've been using SeaFoam for:

1. when storing / not riding for a while, pour a quarter of a bottle in the gas tank and it'll help in stabilising the fuel.

2. every now and then, pour a little (I emphasize a LITTLE) in the tank and it helps keeping everything nice n clean in the carbs etc

It's deceptively simple: about 50% pale oil, about 30% naptha(a.k.a mineral spirits), 10% isopropyl, and 10% water. The alcohol keeps the water from separating out, and that plain water is what actually cleans the carbon out and makes all the smoke. Suck plain water through a vacuum line and you will get the same if not better cleaning effect. Water dissolves carbon, oils don't due to electronegativity differences resulting in different molecular bonding(same reason why oil and water won't mix by themselves).

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this.

a. The MSDS for Sea Foam does not include water, and it is marketed and sold as 100% petroleum product.

http://www.montanajacks.com/msds/seafoam-msds.pdf

b. if water were at all good for an internal combustion engine, there would be at least one professional product available that was water based. feel free to find any product sold with the express purpose of being pored into the engine (crankcase, intake, trans- anything other than the radiator.)

c. Water damn sure does not disolve carbon deposits. I worked in an automotive machine shop and have been playing shade tree mechanic for years. if I could let the carbon build up on valves and such soak in a pail of water vs spending time with wire wheels and a glass bead machine you can bet I would pick the bucket of water.

This is a more accurate description about water and Sea Foam I got from a 4x4 site I tread, and verified by my brother- Phd Chemestery et.al.

" A lot of automotive cleaners are based on petroleum which is a non-polar solvent that can dissolves non-ionic compound such as carbon deposits and oil. Why is this? Like dissolves the like. Water dissolves compounds that are ionic in nature. In a nutshell, if any of the components in the car is/are polar, then they/it would dissolve in water. Carbon deposit is NOT ionic and it originates from combustion of gasoline which is non-polar, thus not miscible with water. "

I think what Rawarrior was getting at is when the water is heated or turned to steam it cleans off the carbon. We've been using that trick for long time in carb'd cars to clean off top of pistons(help pass smog test) temp fix, use spray bottle and have at her, the steaming effect wipes piston tops clean and voila runs better, but like i said temp fix. as for the content of seafoam i dont know but stuff works great. The naptha is most likely what is cleaning off the carbon, we soak moto-x and skidoo pipes in jet B which contains naptha to clean out the carbon, let the pipe soak in it and pour it out adn watch all the black mung come out, sled runs like new again.

Re: " sea foam "

OOoh! Our own heated discussion!!

I have been using seafoam for a few years now. As some have stated - I too am using it as a fuel stabilizer.

I don't know HOW it works - but I do know this - A LOT of people use it - in almost any thread dealing with an engine - you fill no doubt find the seafoam thread - and that says a lot. If it were bad for the engine - you wouldn't see it around anymore.

I have used seafoam in the crankcase of my 3.8 oldsmobile for 100kms of driving (as part of a three step cleaning) with no problems. The car chugged on happily - and noticably better for another 100 000kms before my brake lines exploded and I just junked the beast...

That being said, I am sure some people have had things go wrong - that may or not be attributed to Seafoam - or an underlying issue aggrivated by the product.

And Tugla - is that a smokin' lincoln in your pic? Explain! I love old hot rod lincolns!
________
vapormatic

Last edited:
no its a cutlass, i should be putting a few more pics in a day or so and a video, me and the boys went out and tested the asphalt consistency on a few roads:whistlin:

Wow! A SeaFoam thread.

Well, I've only used it once and I was quite skeptical. My wife's motorcycle just doesn't get driven all that much, and I stupidly let it sit all last winter with old gas in it.

It's only a 250cc cruiser, and the carbs seem to have gotten completely gummed up. I finally got it started, but had to keep the engine revving very high else it would stall, and it would not run worth crap if I pushed the choke in.

The bike only has about 400 miles on it, so I was quite displeased. I ran some carb cleaner through with the gas as instructed, but it didn't help. Somebody recommended SeaFoam, so I bought a couple of cans.

On the back, it says to run it STRAIGHT if the system is really gummed up, which mine was. So I drained all the fuel out, and poured in a quart of SeaFoam straight from the can ... half expecting to see the fuel lines dissolve and the whole bike pretty much seize up and die.

Anyway, that sucker smoked, coughed, sputtered, popped, and did all manner of nasty things for the first minute or so, and then it started running smoother and smoother! I took it out for a serious romping (as much as can be done on a 250cc bike) and other than it smoking like crazy and revving a bit higher than normal, it seemed to really do the trick.

I let the remainder sit for a couple of days in the system, and then I ran the rest through the bike, mostly on idle. Filled her back up with regular fuel (and stabilizer this time) that that bike ran like an absolute champ.

I was on the verge of removing the carbs and soaking them, but this stuff saved me a ton of time. I'm a true fan.

It is a bit of a "snakeoil" as mentioned, which I why I was so skeptical, but it worked for me. This all took place about 2 months ago.

Sorry, but I have to disagree on this.

a. The MSDS for Sea Foam does not include water, and it is marketed and sold as 100% petroleum product.

http://www.montanajacks.com/msds/seafoam-msds.pdf

b. if water were at all good for an internal combustion engine, there would be at least one professional product available that was water based. feel free to find any product sold with the express purpose of being pored into the engine (crankcase, intake, trans- anything other than the radiator.)

c. Water damn sure does not dissolve carbon deposits. I worked in an automotive machine shop and have been playing shade tree mechanic for years. if I could let the carbon build up on valves and such soak in a pail of water vs spending time with wire wheels and a glass bead machine you can bet I would pick the bucket of water.

This is a more accurate description about water and Sea Foam I got from a 4x4 site I tread, and verified by my brother- Phd Chemistry et.al.

" A lot of automotive cleaners are based on petroleum which is a non-polar solvent that can dissolves non-ionic compound such as carbon deposits and oil. Why is this? Like dissolves the like. Water dissolves compounds that are ionic in nature. In a nutshell, if any of the components in the car is/are polar, then they/it would dissolve in water. Carbon deposit is NOT ionic and it originates from combustion of gasoline which is non-polar, thus not miscible with water. "
I THINK MY WIFE IS " BY-POLAR " SO MAYBE I SHOULD GIVE HER SOME SEA FOAM !..........:rofl_200:.......... " WOW " SEA FOAM CAN EVEN BE USED AS A " MARRIAGE COUNSELOR " !:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Back