Seriously considering buying 2019 VMAX

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

b4x3r6

Reaction score
I sincerely apologize if I'm posting this question to the wrong forum. But here goes. I am days away from potentially purchasing the 2019 VMAX; and was looking to get some thoughts on whether it's a wise move considering the following. I have not ridden a motorcycle in nearly 37yrs! However when I did ride, I rode practically everyday from the ages of 10 - 17 or 18yrs old. The motorcycles we owned and I rode was a Yamaha 80, Yamaha 200 (Street), and Kawasaki KZ900 (Street). I was an excellent and safe rider back in those days and only had one accident (dog walked out in front of me) resulting in a crash. Now that I'm older, I always wanted a VMAX since 1986; and am in a position to buy one. I've taken the online BikerCourse and I'm scheduled to take the MSF course over the weekend. I plan to enrolled in additional Biker safety courses if I purchase the 2019 VMAX. I said all this to ask for anyones thoughts on whether this purchase would be considered a "first-bike" for me; and am I considered a "new biker/rider". I certainly do not feel like a new biker in spite of not having ridden in nearly 37yrs. I consider myself a very safe person when it comes to operating any sort of vehicle. In fact, I have never even gotten a speeding ticket. And trust me when I say.., I will certainly respect the power of any bike...much more the VMAX. I'm much older, wiser, and settled these days than my younger days. Thank you for any thoughts, advice, suggestions, etc. Again, my apologies for if this is the wrong forum for this type of question.

Do you know anybody that owns a gen 2?? It's a big bike compared to what you used to ride. 680 pounds. It's got a low seat height, but the seat is wide. I have a 32 inch inseam and I'm on the balls of my feet when I'm stopped. I don't think you'll have any problem, besides the shear size and mass of the vmax. I feel it's very nimble for it's size once up to speed. I went from a 97 vmax, to my 18 vmax and it's a totally different animal. Size, power no comparison. Good luck.

Thanks for the reply rebeltaz83. I do not know anyone who owns a Gen 1 nor 2 VMAX. I've only visited the local Yamaha dealership and sat on the Gen 2 on different occasions. When I'm seated on the Gen 2, both feet are completely flat on the floor. I am a little over 5ft'10in" with an 33inch inseam; 160lbs and in excellent shape/health. I continue to research the Gen 2 by reading online reviews, YouTube, etc. The more information the better. And thank you again for providing valuable insight to assist in my decision. If/when I purchase.., then I will upload my pic for my-profile.

I sincerely apologize if I'm posting this question to the wrong forum. But here goes. I am days away from potentially purchasing the 2019 VMAX; and was looking to get some thoughts on whether it's a wise move considering the following. I have not ridden a motorcycle in nearly 37yrs! However when I did ride, I rode practically everyday from the ages of 10 - 17 or 18yrs old. The motorcycles we owned and I rode was a Yamaha 80, Yamaha 200 (Street), and Kawasaki KZ900 (Street). I was an excellent and safe rider back in those days and only had one accident (dog walked out in front of me) resulting in a crash. Now that I'm older, I always wanted a VMAX since 1986; and am in a position to buy one. I've taken the online BikerCourse and I'm scheduled to take the MSF course over the weekend. I plan to enrolled in additional Biker safety courses if I purchase the 2019 VMAX. I said all this to ask for anyones thoughts on whether this purchase would be considered a "first-bike" for me; and am I considered a "new biker/rider". I certainly do not feel like a new biker in spite of not having ridden in nearly 37yrs. I consider myself a very safe person when it comes to operating any sort of vehicle. In fact, I have never even gotten a speeding ticket. And trust me when I say.., I will certainly respect the power of any bike...much more the VMAX. I'm much older, wiser, and settled these days than my younger days. Thank you for any thoughts, advice, suggestions, etc. Again, my apologies for if this is the wrong forum for this type of question.
You never forget how to ride. I say go test ride a couple and decide if it's the bike you want. Go for it, and have a blast.

You never forget how to ride. I say go test ride a couple and decide if it's the bike you want. Go for it, and have a blast.
Thanks for your thoughts sdt354. Your comments are reassuring. I will certainly have a greater perspective after this weekend's MSF course. Of course I will be riding a Harley for the MSF course and not a VMAX. I would love to test-ride a VMAX to verify it's the bike for me. Unfortunately there are no such places that offer VMAX test-rides in the Central Florida area. And as I mentioned before, I do not know anyone who owns one who I could ask. Up to this point, I've only been relying on online reviews, forums, blogs, etc., to describe the VMAX experience. This uncertainty is one of the things giving me pause on the purchase. However I can say I haven't come across any VMAX owner, at least not online (forums, blogs, YouTube, etc.), that has been disappointed as to having purchased a Gen 2 VMAX. And of course the Yamaha dealership sales reps are reassuring me that I will not be disappointed. Of course I take what they're saying with a "grain of salt" as they just might be motivated by the commission they will receive from the sale. Thanks again!

The only thing I hear that's not really negative but more of a complaint, lol is how small the tank is, because of mileage range on a tank of gas could be 60 miles if you ride hard or about 100 if your conservative with it. And parking lot maneuverability, because of the mass. It's a big bike, lol. I love mine, I feel at home on it, unlike my gen 1 I felt like mcgilla gorilla. My first ride out I was grinding pegs, I never could get myself to do it in my gen 1. But I was constantly doing it on 78 goldwing. To me the 2nd gen reminds me of the goldwing in size. The slow speed surge is annoying, but the Nash flash eliminates that. I was hoping to do that this year, but an un planned engine rebuild for my project truck took priority. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Unless you don't like the raw torque this bike puts down. I laugh when people say or ask why you need all that power. My reply, it's all in the wrist. Just because it's there doesn't mean I go around full throttle all the time. It's got 200 hp at full throttle, but it's got 50hp at 1/4 throttle, think about it. just make sure it's aimed before going to "Ludacris speed."

The only thing I hear that's not really negative but more of a complaint, lol is how small the tank is, because of mileage range on a tank of gas could be 60 miles if you ride hard or about 100 if your conservative with it. And parking lot maneuverability, because of the mass. It's a big bike, lol. I love mine, I feel at home on it, unlike my gen 1 I felt like mcgilla gorilla. My first ride out I was grinding pegs, I never could get myself to do it in my gen 1. But I was constantly doing it on 78 goldwing. To me the 2nd gen reminds me of the goldwing in size. The slow speed surge is annoying, but the Nash flash eliminates that. I was hoping to do that this year, but an un planned engine rebuild for my project truck took priority. I don't think you'll be disappointed. Unless you don't like the raw torque this bike puts down. I laugh when people say or ask why you need all that power. My reply, it's all in the wrist. Just because it's there doesn't mean I go around full throttle all the time. It's got 200 hp at full throttle, but it's got 50hp at 1/4 throttle, think about it. just make sure it's aimed before going to "Ludacris speed."
Thanks for the pointers rebeltaz83. Indeed I've heard about attempting U-turns, parking-lot maneuverability, and scraping pegs (cornering) on the Gen 2. Doesn't sound too scary at all. At your leisure, can you clarify what is meant when you say "slow speed surge"? Also, I cannot say I'm familiar with the term "Nash flash".

The industry term for you is "re-entry rider." I read a report about motorcycle operation and resultant morbidity and mortality. "Re-entry riders" are at higher risk of something happening because they don't have the reaction time/reflexes of a younger rider, nor the visual acuity, hearing, strength, or agility of fuzzy-cheeked younger riders. You sound like you're aware of the performance of the bike. Take it easy, get some saddle-time in, become aware of the balance of the bike, its dynamics underway, a big one being how-hard modern bikes can brake, and you should be ahead of a less-experienced rider who hasn't ridden before, or is a more risk-taking person.

I'm expecting that you're going to ride with appropriate clothing and accessories. Do NOT get on your $18,000 bike, and operate it with a 20 year-old helmet! Buying a new helmet, properly-fitted, is part of your adult responsibilities. AGATT is what I try to-follow.

Here is the helmet I like for my use, it's rated as meeting impact standards in either the open or closed position. The aero characteristics when open are so-superior to anyone else's modular helmet, it's not even-close. I like modular helmets. I've had them made by Shuberth (makes them for BMW), Shoei, and Shark. The Shark Evoline is my favorite. They have some designs which are highly-reflective, and/or glow in the dark. A white helmet is visible from much-farther-off than a black 'Darth Vader' bucket, verified in studies.

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/friends-family/info-2017/motorcycle-fatalities-rise-fd.html

https://www.revzilla.com/shark-evoline

https://www.bmj.com/content/328/7444/857

https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/co...493a5d65932ed296e1b62e0a&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

When I went to book a test ride on the gen2, no dealers local to me had a demo one. So, I did a web search for any used ones being sold near me. Managed to find one about 90 miles away and got my test ride on that. Having then ridden one, I then knew that I wanted one for sure.

Just a thought. :)

When I went to book a test ride on the gen2, no dealers local to me had a demo one. So, I did a web search for any used ones being sold near me. Managed to find one about 90 miles away and got my test ride on that. Having then ridden one, I then knew that I wanted one for sure.

Just a thought. :)
Excellent thought! I will give it a try. Thanks!

Buy it, ride it, keep your eyes open and your head on a swivel. I love mine.

The industry term for you is "re-entry rider." I read a report about motorcycle operation and resultant morbidity and mortality. "Re-entry riders" are at higher risk of something happening because they don't have the reaction time/reflexes of a younger rider, nor the visual acuity, hearing, strength, or agility of fuzzy-cheeked younger riders. You sound like you're aware of the performance of the bike. Take it easy, get some saddle-time in, become aware of the balance of the bike, its dynamics underway, a big one being how-hard modern bikes can brake, and you should be ahead of a less-experienced rider who hasn't ridden before, or is a more risk-taking person.

I'm expecting that you're going to ride with appropriate clothing and accessories. Do NOT get on your $18,000 bike, and operate it with a 20 year-old helmet! Buying a new helmet, properly-fitted, is part of your adult responsibilities. AGATT is what I try to-follow.

Here is the helmet I like for my use, it's rated as meeting impact standards in either the open or closed position. The aero characteristics when open are so-superior to anyone else's modular helmet, it's not even-close. I like modular helmets. I've had them made by Shuberth (makes them for BMW), Shoei, and Shark. The Shark Evoline is my favorite. They have some designs which are highly-reflective, and/or glow in the dark. A white helmet is visible from much-farther-off than a black 'Darth Vader' bucket, verified in studies.

https://www.aarp.org/home-family/friends-family/info-2017/motorcycle-fatalities-rise-fd.html

https://injuryprevention.bmj.com/co...493a5d65932ed296e1b62e0a&keytype2=tf_ipsecsha

Thanks Fire-medic for the information you provide here. I have been reading about older versus younger riders, fatalities statistics, reactionary timing, etc.; and your input is right on time. I will certainly comply with AGATT as my love ones are insisting on that much. Thanks for the tips, links, and helmet video. I will check it out. Good day!

Hi b4...
This is not VMax advice per se, but your situation is similar to mine a few years back.
In my heyday I was very good and had many bikes. Mostly Z1s and Huskys. Was a hotdog on the street and very competitive on the strip.
After a 20 plus year hiatus, I got the bug again because my son became interested.
Of course all my old bikes are rotting into the ground by now.
We too went to MSF to get licensed.
I bought a 95 Ninja first and embarrassingly dropped it three times in the first month. Cracked this piece scratched that. Hmm, not Superman anymore.
But fear not, I eventually came back strong, I now have seven bikes registered and insured and I ride quite well, in fact I do regular track days on a Ninja and a CBR in the intermediate group. I've gone through the California Superbike School level three at Laguna Seca last year. And I own a sweet gen 1 Max 2005 with 7000 miles that runs tits.

I guess my point is I'm glad that first Ninja took all the abuse of my reentry, because all my other bikes are too nice to scratch.

spot on with the re rider

Hi b4...
This is not VMax advice per se, but your situation is similar to mine a few years back.
In my heyday I was very good and had many bikes. Mostly Z1s and Huskys. Was a hotdog on the street and very competitive on the strip.
After a 20 plus year hiatus, I got the bug again because my son became interested.
Of course all my old bikes are rotting into the ground by now.
We too went to MSF to get licensed.
I bought a 95 Ninja first and embarrassingly dropped it three times in the first month. Cracked this piece scratched that. Hmm, not Superman anymore.
But fear not, I eventually came back strong, I now have seven bikes registered and insured and I ride quite well, in fact I do regular track days on a Ninja and a CBR in the intermediate group. I've gone through the California Superbike School level three at Laguna Seca last year. And I own a sweet gen 1 Max 2005 with 7000 miles that runs tits.

I guess my point is I'm glad that first Ninja took all the abuse of my reentry, because all my other bikes are too nice to scratch.
Thanks drdyno. It's good to hear from someone who has a similar story as mine as it relates to an extended hiatus. I definitely will be on the lookout for those "drops". Definitely wouldn't be fun dropping a 680lbs VMax...much less picking it back up. I will keep your stories along with all the other excellent advice I been receiving here in mind. Thanks again for taking the time to share! Good day!

When I had my Gen2, they are awesome,to ride just like everyone else has said they are a great bike only concern is like was already said 60 to 100 miles on a tank of gas, but I would highly recommend to ride one if at all possible, but once you do you will get the Max bug, :):), I will have another one someday, good luck and ride safe.

When I had my Gen2, they are awesome,to ride just like everyone else has said they are a great bike only concern is like was already said 60 to 100 miles on a tank of gas, but I would highly recommend to ride one if at all possible, but once you do you will get the Max bug, :):), I will have another one someday, good luck and ride safe.
Thanks derwood. I will take those words to heart.

The gen 2 has a factory lean surge when cruising at slow speed, 30mph for example. It's annoying. The Nash flash is a flash for the ECU. It's about $550 but I've heard it's night and day from stock. It gets rid of the surge, and also gives full power in the first 3 gears. The vmax is limited on power until 35mph if I remember right. Speed limiter goes to 132mph nash flash also eliminates that.
http://guruedgear.com
There's the link. If you go with a full exhaust system, or a decat pipe you'll need a reflash as the vmax comes running lean from the factory. But the left rear cylinder runs leaner than the other 3, and more so with an aftermarket exhaust.

Back