She leaks!! Help Please

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hello All.

I have the same exact leak. Definitely want to take care of it soon. Not leaking that much but still bugs me that i'm leaking oil. want to thank everyone for the detailed explanations!

Quick question about the gaskets I need though. From the attached picture, I obviously need #2 as thats the problem gasket. Probably a good idea to do the middle gear gasket (#19 I believe?) and then is the copper gasket #22?

Also, if the bike is tilted on its side do I need to drain the oil? That is a dry area inside the stator correct?

I did this work on a 85 rebel and never drained the oil at the time, but then again I didnt' really care about the rebel. hah...

Thanks in advance!!

-Garrett

Attachments

• 599_crankcasecover1.jpg
    599_crankcasecover1.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 38
Hi there Garrett-

Recv'd your PM but I thought I'd go ahead and reply here in the open forum. Yes, I did in fact end up replacing the gaskets for both the left and right side. Looking back, I'm wondering if my use of a pressure washer on the motor is what caused the gaskets to leak. Anyway......

It looks like there are some guys that will swap these gaskets without draining the oil, but I did mine after having drained the crankcase. As far as the middle gear gasket, you have to pull the middle gear cover to get to the crankcase cover so you may as well put a new one on there while you're at it. Not a bad idea on the copper washer/gasket as you've asked as well.

Is the stator side wet or dry? It's wet, so keep that in mind as you make your decision on draining the crankcase.

Best of luck and let us know if you have further questions.

Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated. Is that the right part # for the copper washer?

I guess what I'm toying with right now is that the bike is going into storage in a few weeks and I wasn't going to do the oil until spring of next year. So I am trying to figure out if its worth it to do the gasket when I do the oil come spring. Its not loosing all that much oil, but i do need to clean out near the kickstand switch as it has dripped down there. Took me a while to notice because it never dripped on the ground, just the bottom of the engine and chassis.

So, I guess my question would be is this an imperative fix? I dont like the idea of leaking oil though either!...

thanks again in advance!

Thanks for the info! It is much appreciated. Is that the right part # for the copper washer?

So, I guess my question would be is this an imperative fix? I dont like the idea of leaking oil though either!...

thanks again in advance!

I show the p/n as being 90430-06014-00, so yep, you're correct.

I ran mine for a few thousand miles before the parts came in and I found time to do it. All you're doing is getting oil on your boots, the pipes and the floor. If you can live with that for now, you're golden.

You're very welcome G. :)

no matter how big or small the oil leak is ya need to fix it. Do you want everyone to think your ridding a Harley :biglaugh:

icon1.gif
Re: She leaks!! Help Please

I had a Girl Friend that had the same problem!! Get rid of her the problem gets worse as they get older!

:rofl_200:​

I chased a stator cover leak 3 times after I got the cover chromed:bang head:
each time I thought all was well before I bolted it up only to find drip, drip,drip on the ground , not real bad but enough to piss me off. Turns out the bottom of the gasket was walking off on installation. Final time I didn't drain the oil but laid the bike over on some bags of rags we have here at work and very carefully checked it before bolting it up making sure the gasket stayed still.
Not a single drop anymore:eusa_dance:

Thanks everyone for the help. Since I'll only be putting another 100 miles or so on the bike this season I'm thinking about whether or not to do it now or when I do the oil in the spring.

Thanks! Look forward to continuing to talk to you guys on this forum!

Just put some 5w30 in your VMAX you will find leaks!!!

I changed from 20W50 over to 5W30 on Friday when I went to dragracing to try and lower my ET and raise MPH,, I had more leaks than an Old man with bladder spasms in a Depends diaper.

I had a couple loose bolts around there too. They were finger loose so I tightened them down to ~5 ft lbs and it seems to have fixed the problem. Will probably do the gasket at some point as well. Thanks for all the help!

haha just re-reading this thread. happened on my old 'max and now my new one. one of my first posts. luckily its only a $10 fix. different part of the gasket is leaking tho, its the front corner. also running 10w oil, wondering if that isn't part of it.

or paranoia. ya never know. u gotta do the forks soon man, night and fucking day difference.

now i see this thread, already fixed mine, havent started it yet to see if it leaks but what a pain in the ass to clean off the old dried on gaskets.

now i see this thread, already fixed mine, havent started it yet to see if it leaks but what a pain in the ass to clean off the old dried on gaskets.

something i've never done. what are the tricks?

I know putting it back on a little bit of vaseline on both sides of the gasket should help considerably.

something i've never done. what are the tricks?

I know putting it back on a little bit of vaseline on both sides of the gasket should help considerably.

what are the tricks to getting it off?? is that what your asking?

i ended up using 3m roloc white, awesome for getting off gaskets and not hurting aluminum

moz-screenshot-1.png

Attachments

• white.jpg
    white.jpg
    22.1 KB · Views: 12
exactly. removing the gasket. do you put those on a drill?

yup they just twist onto a adapter that also take 3m scotch brite pads and others, a must if you wanna get off gaskets or clean up areas without damage especially aluminum. can be used in air or batt drill. Danny if your listening these are the ones i was talking about. if you cant find any let me know i'll fire some off to you guys. usually at auto parts place that sells paint products for cars.

i'll take a look when the job comes. definitely will be pressed on there good i'm sure.

what exact roloc attachment did ya use?

Latest posts

Back