Shift Drum Shaft and transmission 2nd gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namyzzo

Reaction score
...Found another issue..?

Here's a pic of the shift drum... Only one spot I found to be mucked up...

What do you think?.. Can I clean it up or should I just get a replacement?

Also... - any good info on the second gear issue and proper shimming..etc..?

I have to replace the bearings on the transmission, the shaft with the large staked in nut..Looks spring loaded - anyone have this apart yet?

Thanks for the help guys.!!

Attachments

• 100_0772_shiftdrum3.jpg
    100_0772_shiftdrum3.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_0773_shiftdrum4.jpg
    100_0773_shiftdrum4.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 100_0771_shiftdrum.jpg
    100_0771_shiftdrum.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 34
If you want it to shift you need a new shift drum and at least the 2 forks that were in both groves. I replace all that stuff when we do a transmission job. The 3 forks, 2 supporting shafts, and drum.

The large spring is usually replaced when we do trans work too. You will need a press to take off the driven gear (on the end). It's held to the shaft by circlips (seen from the end).

Sean

There was only one "track" that was damaged on the shift drum.. But you say to replace both forks?.. The forks little nub boesnt appear to be affected or damaged....

But I believe you have the right idea Sean.. Hopefully I can go back and get the 96 parts from the donor machine... ( I should have just rebuilt that motor - would ahve been alot cheaper..Grrr...)

Live and learn = is an expensive moto...

:rofl_200:

I don't reuse ANY trans parts when we do a trans job. It's too much work to do over a second time because you got cheap the first time around. I though the pics showed 2 different areas but if it was only 1 then it would only be 1 fork.

Sean

Back