Shifter shaft oil seal leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thesieg

Reaction score
Hey guys, is there an "easiest" way to get to shifter shaft seal to replace it? Or a quick fix that will get me through the season?
I just got all the bugs worked out of my carbs and went out for a satisfying asphalt rip. Upon my return home I saw a drop fall from my shifter shaft. I took a look under the bike and sure enough the trail was coming from the shifter shaft seal.:bang head: It's not gushing out, but I prefer keeping the oil in. Any guidance would be greatly appreciated!!

I would check to see if it is actually coming from the gear case cover bottom bolt that has a copper washer that seals it. If that seal is missing you are sure to have a leak in that area.

I replaced that seal on mine, had to pullthe middle gear cover and the clutch basket, then the shifter shaft to get the seal out. Put the shifter shaft back in slid the seal on the shaft as used pvc pipe to tap the seal back in.

Yep, not hard to do but does require some disassembly to get it out. Might as well do the DD Clutch and Segment upgrade while you are at it.

Sean

I thought so. I'm back at work soon and won't have more than a day or two to work on it at a time, so I may leave it, monitor the oil level when I do ride, ride closer to home, and wait for the winter "fix it" season. The bike could use some upgrades, and a valve adjustment. I do love a challenge! With this forum and helpful members such as yourselves it doesn't seem as daunting a task.:punk: Thanks for the guidance!

I just removed that seal it was a piece of cake. Remove side cover n shift lever NOT the shaft take a small regularjewlers screwdriver tap it in between seal n casting where seal sits it will stop and can't go any further and pry seal out. Took me a total of 2 mins once everything was removed to get to seal. Good luck

I just removed that seal it was a piece of cake. Remove side cover n shift lever NOT the shaft take a small regularjewlers screwdriver tap it in between seal n casting where seal sits it will stop and can't go any further and pry seal out. Took me a total of 2 mins once everything was removed to get to seal. Good luck

one2dmax and rhoy must be talking about something else? am curious as to why because i'm tracking down a weep as well that may be related

Regards from my Taptalking Hercules Android

Glad it worked out for you like we talked about its not hard.

Glad it worked out for you like we talked about its not hard.

Ya Kyle it was a piece of cake. I noticed many jobs on the Max people cringe doing so far it's all been easy. Maybe me being a x wrench helps? Not sure but I've had cars beat me up lol

Back