Shifting while going all out....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sbeduckman

Reaction score
When you guys are drag racing or (heaven forbid) street racing, how are you shifting? I've read these bikes can be "power shifted" through the first three gears. That is, throttle held wide open and clutch feathered just enough to let you shift. On my last bike, I would keep WOT while shifting quickly...but haven't done so on the vmax. Are you guys keeping WOT through the gears, or rolling off and getting back into it? Thanks.

Most of the time clutch shift the 1-2 unless in a real hard race situation. The speed shift on the 1-2 is brutal to the gears.

Sean

For sticklers to detail and the uninitiated......

Here's my interpetation

Clutch shift= 1-2, WOT, preload the shift lever before touching the clutch, just barely fan the clutch, no need to blip or back out of the throttle at all.

You never touch the clutch lever after the 1-2 shift

Speed shift= 2-3, 3-4, 4-5 WOT, preload the shift lever, then just barerly blip the throttle enough to let the pre-loaded shift lever move to the next gear...

At wide open throttle on a 1-2 shift if you fan the clutch too deep, or back out of the throttle and then go right back in to the throttle before the clutch is fully engaged it's extremely hard on the driveline, I've broken a driveshaft going to deep on the clutch and trying to "time" the "clutch throttle dance" too perfectly...It really is better to just keep it WOT and barely fan the clutch without blipping the throttle, it removes one of the variables that you can fuck up......

ok you are going to have to show me that one...and i dig your burn outs at 20 to 30mph

Latest posts

Back