Should my rear wheel turn?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davesax36

Reaction score
When running in neutral on the centerstand, I see some videos of guys rear wheel turning a bit when they blip the throttle. My FZ1 used to do this so I know its normal sometimes, but the Max doesn't. Is my clutch still screwed up, or do most of you guys' rear wheels stay stationary when blipping in neutral?

If it does I would think its a result of oil viscosity, drag, and tranny clearances.

Mine doesn't turn....

In fact; once when I had the swing arm and shaft out I stuck a giant screwdriver in the U-joint to make sure it wouldn't turn and flop around and break something, then made sure it was in neutral and started it.
I then felt of the U-joint and could easily tell it wasn't even trying to turn.

Then repeated the experiment without the screwdriver in place and the U-joint, which was now free to move if it wanted, still didn't turn

My XR650L Dual Sport Enduro would turn with out even blipping the throttle. Probably all that dirt in the oil, that poor thing got no love...

Yes, I have seen that happen many times. The thicker the oil the more it will do that.

Sean

Just put the bike on the centerstand on Sunday and fired it up looking for a leak. My rear wheel did not turn when the bike was in neutral.

I'm thinking it could be due to the driveline power loss. It's probably a lot easier for that FZ1 motor to transfer some energy through the chain to a lighter rear wheel than it is for the Max to do it through the u-joint and final drive to a heavy wheel. Either way. I'm not gonna worry about it.

I was just testing my '88 and didn't have that happen. But the oil thing mentioned above sounds legit.

Back