side covers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jojo2667

Reaction score
anyone have any luck with polishing side covers ? got my chrome scoops from Sean yesterday and now the side covers are lacking(LOL) going to have them chromed, no $$ now was just wandering if anyone had any sucsess ? also once i get them chromed what kink of paint can i use to black out the bottoms again ?

We have done a few two tone chrome side covers! Regular on the top and black on the bottom. I think there is a picture in our facebook site. But, they are quite a bit more then normal chrome to do it since there is a lot more work.

Sean

OR...you could just paint them body color on top and leave the bottom as is...pictures to follow , as soon as I get mine back from the painters...:biglaugh:

Here are my side cover when I had the top half painted the body color, bottom half stock finish. I have them painted all black now.

Attachments

• IMG_0500.jpg
    IMG_0500.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 56
thats the idea, i didnt think of switching the color to the top ! that looks better it breaks up the lines better ! also i stripped them and then tried to polish them and THEN found out they are anodized ! i didnt whant to put oven cleaner on them to take the anodizing off thanks for the ideas !

On my '06 I painted the scoops flat black on the upper half, hi-gloss black on the lower half, and the side covers the same colors except changed to hi-gloss upper half, flat black lower half.

Don't have a pic of the side covers but this will give you an idea....

Attachments

• 100_2067.jpg
    100_2067.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 40
anyone have any luck with polishing side covers ? got my chrome scoops from Sean yesterday and now the side covers are lacking(LOL) going to have them chromed, no $$ now was just wandering if anyone had any sucsess ? also once i get them chromed what kink of paint can i use to black out the bottoms again ?

I polished the top half of mine, painted the lower halves to match the rest of the bodywork. Unlike other parts (such as the scoops), the side covers polish up very well, and seem to hold their shine. Must be a different grade of aluminum, or plate metal versus casting - such as scoops
Cheers, Miles

I polished the top half of mine, painted the lower halves to match the rest of the bodywork. Unlike other parts (such as the scoops), the side covers polish up very well, and seem to hold their shine. Must be a different grade of aluminum, or plate metal versus casting - such as scoops
Cheers, Miles

What did you strip them down with before you polished them?

I used zip strip paint remover on my scoops before sanding. Took forever but they look sweet. And keep looking better each time you polish.

What did you strip them down with before you polished them?

The most difficult part is removing the anodized layer. I use 40-60 grit belt sander material (long lasting) or 40-80 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper.
Then 60-100-220 grit a.o. paper, then 220 -400 -6oo wet-dry. Then cutting/polishing compounds on power wheels for the final finish.
Cheers

The most difficult part is removing the anodized layer. I use 40-60 grit belt sander material (long lasting) or 40-80 grit aluminum oxide sandpaper.
Then 60-100-220 grit a.o. paper, then 220 -400 -6oo wet-dry. Then cutting/polishing compounds on power wheels for the final finish.
Cheers

40-80 grit? I would start with 400-600 and if thats to fine slowly go courser. I made the mistake using 100 grit and it took allot to get the scatches out.

40-80 grit? I would start with 400-600 and if thats to fine slowly go courser. I made the mistake using 100 grit and it took allot to get the scatches out.

True, but I didn't want to spend days getting the anodizing off. It's very difficult to remove. Although I've never tryed any, a chemical, such as oven cleaner, would be the way to go. I have only read that it does work, but caution must be exercised - if left on too long, it eats into the aluminum.
Regardless of what methods are used, most people agree that polishing is very labour intensive, and maintaining the shine takes lots of work as well. If youv'e got the stash, get the parts chromed.
Or adopt my new policy. Let the damn bike get dirty. Just get out and ride it!
Cheers, Miles

I didn't think my 85 side covers were anodized. They look brushed.

Last edited:
Cheers

got any pics of your polished side covers? i just polished my scoops to look like chrome, now i'm thinking of tackling the side covers.

i have an 86 and wanted to polish the side covers so instead of messing with the originals on mine i bought a pair off ebay which were painted so when i stripped them they werent the rough finush on the bottom that mine were so they polished up really nice.as far as maintaining them i take them off at the beginning of the season and buff them on my bench polisher i made and after that i just hand polish them when i clean the bike with mothers polish...i like the look of them myself and dont mind the little effort put into them to keep them looking nice

Attachments

• 86 vmax.jpg
    86 vmax.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 28
  • tail of the dragon 188.jpg
    tail of the dragon 188.jpg
    85.9 KB · Views: 26
[QUOTE=bigrubbers4x4;179838]got any pics of your polished side covers? i just polished my scoops to look like chrome, now i'm thinking of tackling the side covers.[/QUOTE]

B.R. - My camera is busted, shopping for a new one. Go to my Public Profile, check out my album. There is a pic of Sean Morley next to the (very dirty) bike. Oddly, the side covers are quite clean.
Miles
p.s. - what Mr. Rebar said in an earlier post hit home with me. Although I used a very coarse grit to remove the anodized layer (or the clearcoat, whatever it is), not everybody will be prepared to tackle the extra work needed to sand out the resulting scratches . If using a very coarse paper initially, experiment on a small section first.

Back