Sidecar....yes really...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tkdtuffgirl2003

Reaction score
Ok here's the deal-I recently gained custody of my 4yr old great niece. I love to ride and am part of a riding organization BACA, so there are times that I need to ride...
There is no way she's ready to try and hold on to the me while on the back so a sidecar is the best idea I can come up with.
I've found one local to me (San Deigo) but I don't know anything about them. Does anyone know what mods I will have to do to my max for this? It has the frame and everything it needs to attach. I just don't know if the max is setup for it.
Thanks!
Beth

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed with Kyle. The belts hold em to you just fine (not to the bike).

They do make special belts to hold kids to you to that are very secure.

Agreed with Kyle. The belts hold em to you just fine (not to the bike).

Wouldn't duct tape be cheaper? lol

Actually, I was thinking just how much groceries that sidecar can hold... and that would be a good excuse to darkside the bike.

One of my riding group has that harness and takes his daughter on rides a lot since she was about 5. She is 10 now. Seems to work great. Don't know if it is the same harness since she has grown quite a bit. Looks adjustable though. A bit of a hassle to put on them both though.

You could modify a child's rear mounted bicycle seat a lot cheaper and it could be removable.they come with belts and contains the kid in the seat /shell with arm rests and leg/feet holders It would also look more safety oriented for those who think that way

San Diego ain't so far from Van Nuys, north of LA.
There you'll find Doug Bingham at Sidestrider. Suggest contact might be helpful.

I have found a friendship 2 sidecar locally for $500 that need a bit of TLC. I'm not sure what modifications I will need to do on my max though. I have heard that the front forks and rear tire have to be changed. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1403070789.644386.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1403070808.243037.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There's no reason to modify either. All you need is a means of mounting that doesn't risk or harm the structural integrity of your chassis. It's important that the sidecar wheel be properly aligned so that the bike retains neutral steering. Remember, it may be cool, but execution is critical. A near miss here can get someone killed.

The key thing is to seek specific advice and assistance. Safety and mechanical integrity are essential.

Agree that fork and wheel changes are not essential, and correct fitting is, but circumstances may ultimately justify amendments to improve the experience. Above all, if you ain't experienced with riding a sidecar rig, get some instruction, preferably in a safe environment. A sidecar rig is a unique vehicle with no comparison to any other vehicle type.

The key thing is to seek specific advice and assistance. Safety and mechanical integrity are essential.

Agree that fork and wheel changes are not essential, and correct fitting is, but circumstances may ultimately justify amendments to improve the experience. Above all, if you ain't experienced with riding a sidecar rig, get some instruction, preferably in a safe environment. A sidecar rig is a unique vehicle with no comparison to any other vehicle type.

I am trying to make contact with some local sidecar groups as well and plan to get all of the advice and help that I can from them too. But you guys are my V-max go-tos so I wanted to touch base with you too! I plan to buy it, clean it up, get it connected and drive it alone to see if I will keep it or not.

Back