SkullDuggery's Still Up to Her Old Tricks

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpecOps13

Reaction score
Thought I'd finally beat this bike's evil nature. I had her running pretty good atleast I thought so. Ran like a Bat Outta Hell, no sign of a miss. I pulled the plugs and, the left side looked pretty good, nice tan. Pulled the right side and they were nearly black.

Ran the bike and sprayed the shit out of the carb joints, looking for a leak even though I didn't believe that to be the case. I had 147.5 Main Jets in
and believe the leaner condition of the left side to be a good representation of what the plugs should look like. I checked the right carbs for a stuck float or something else stupid that may have been overlooked.

I pulled the carbs off and checked the rubber for cracks that extended into the inside. None existed. I checked the VBoost timing and travel, Nothing out of the ordinary.

I bought a set of nice carbs to have as spares. Broke them down, and went through everything. Float level and jet blocks off for cleaning. There wasn't even dust inside the float chamber. They looked new. I pulled the diaphragms and cleaned and lubed everything. Pulled the 147.5's and installed them into these carbs. Just for grins, I filled the carbs to overflow with WD-40 and left them sit over night.

Dumped the WD yesterday morning and installed the carbs. Checked all the plug wires, coil connections, everything I could access. Found nothing.

Checked the calibration of my gauges at Idle and set the bike up at 1050 RPM. She idled like a new bike. Brought her up to 3,000 and the sync went to hell. Set the gauges up for cal at 3,000 rpm. Synced the carbs there. Took her for a ride and she was a little rough below 3k but almost threw me off the back in low gear acceleration.

When I got back from my ride, I cut the ignition at 3,000 RPM and coasted to the driveway. When I pulled the plugs, same shit as before, these plugs looked alright on the left side and dark on the right.

WTF am I missing. My 45 is getting really Antsy to unload on this bike.:rofl_200: And, I'm flat out of patience and understanding for this crap.:bang head:

Dave, could it be a spark issue? I would think if you went through the carbs they could possibly be eliminated. Are the plugs wet on that side, or just sooty with carbon?

Kyle, I'm beginning to think the same just to be safe. Definitely need a compression test but my nephew stole my gauge about 20 years ago. Doh, I could just go buy anoither...:rofl_200:Did you get the Kerker off the 86?

06VMAXIMUS: Possibly a spark issue on the front right cylinder pulling the wire sometimes makes a difference at idle, sometimes not????? But, the right rear runs the same color as the right front and always changes the idle when I pull the plug wire...:bang head:

I haven't got a clue any more...:confused2:

Its like my dad always told me growing up, "An gas engine needs three things to run: timing, fuel, & spark". I would start with a compression test like CK said, then swap some ignition coils and see what happens. Chasing wires through the harness sucks, but that might be a possibility as well. Bob

Kyle, I'm beginning to think the same just to be safe. Definitely need a compression test but my nephew stole my gauge about 20 years ago. Doh, I could just go buy anoither...:rofl_200:Did you get the Kerker off the 86?

06VMAXIMUS: Possibly a spark issue on the front right cylinder pulling the wire sometimes makes a difference at idle, sometimes not????? But, the right rear runs the same color as the right front and always changes the idle when I pull the plug wire...:bang head:

I haven't got a clue any more...:confused2:
have not got the Kerker off the bike yet. I have not tried a whole lot. My timing belts & MC kit finally got here for the Gold wing so I knocked that out & got it out of here. I have been running out of energy pretty quick cant seem to kick this respritory infection maybe I just need to get out & take a ride.

Dave it might be a good idea to go ahead & check the valves on that bike.

Just a couple of years back I was fouling plugs left & right. After eliminating everything else, adjusted the valves. 8 were off by the smallest amounts but solved the problem immediately. Good luck.

Thanx for all the Brain Storming. I will not give up on this bike but it does give me great pleasure to think about the effects of a hardball 45 on it's aluminum parts every so often.:biglaugh:

Actually, all it needs is a good internal explosion to make the pistons go round. :th_biggun:

I need to keep the Internal part of that in mind......:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:

Grumpy, just for shits and giggles, whatever they are, try something for me. Switch out the plug wires on that side (right) of the bike. It is easy to do, won't cost you nothing and eliminates another piece of the puzzle.If Kyle was willing, maybe "borrow" Naughty G's COP just for the right side. It's just one dang pigtal plug to pull off and you could leave Sklldgry's stuff intact but unplugged. If that checks out as no change, then... do the shim buckets (valve adjustment). Hey Kyle, there's another place to blow more cash on, a complete valve shim set! And hurry up and get that Kerker off for me! What is Grumpy up to?!
PATMAX

I just got off the phone with Kyle. We talked over just exactly those same things and included the TCU / ECU as a possibility too... I've gotta be fast though. He sells things in a hurry. I've got spare Coils off a 90 and the old plug wires for my 89. It's the Control Unit that may vanish if I wait too long.:rofl_200:

Kyle has shims and suggested that may need atleast checking too...:biglaugh: OMG, that's a big job the first time around...

PS: Grumpy is up to finishing work on the 89, taking a loss on it and possibly resuming the search for a gen II with the extra cash...:confused2:

Last edited:
My quad was doing a very similar thing...drove me nuts! Had intermittent/weak spark. Checked every friggin switch and pickup on it. Finally got so pissed off that I ripped the entire wiring harness off it and removed the tape, chasing each wire individually from start to finish. Found the problem back by the battery, where some acid had spilled out and partially dissolved the main power wire to the CDI. Just saying to hang in there, Dave! The solution will come with patience and perservence.

I've spent the past few days, checking coils, plugs, ignition module, diode pack, re-reinspecting the newer set of carbs that I picked up. Found that most everything was good. Pulled the carbs apart and went over everything. Found 1 float intermittently sticking. 3 missing O-Rings on the A/F Screws. One missing a washer/shim. Did a Shotgun Cleaning on the carbs. Re-Sync'd them at 3,000 rpm.

I didn't get to take a ride until tonight, I think it's the best SkullDuggery's run since I started work 4 months ago. When I got home, the Spark Plugs were actually the same color....Amazing......:rofl_200:

I ran a compression test with the gauge I borrowed earlier in the day from CaptainKyle. I met him at the powder coater and picked up some 150 main jets, just in case and a Middle Gear Cover Gasket so I can attack the oil leak around the stator wires again... Anyway, the compression test came out good IMO. Cylinder 1 = 159,,, 2 = 160,,, 3 = 152,,, 4 = 156.

More success in a never ending battle, fighting an Evil Spirited Bike...:clapping:

Attachments

• SkullDuggerys Plugs 3 2 11.jpg
    SkullDuggerys Plugs 3 2 11.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:
Bill: It may be just me but they seem just a touch lean???? You're the Mechanic and I respect your opinion. Especially after meeting you at Tech Day....:biglaugh:

Dave, my plugs also looked like yours (white insulators) when I last changed them out this past summer, but I had been riding at high elevations for some time. I found this odd, I thought that leaner air would make for a richer mixture, and consequently darker plugs. When I have changed them at home(sea level), the insulators have been a light tan colour, if I recall correctly. In any case, the bike has run well regardless of elevation, and has delivered consistant gas mileage as well. I will probably check the plugs before this season's riding, just out of curiousity, to see if the colour variation was due to elevation.
Cheers, Miles
p.s. not to hijack, but what is the latest on that charging concern you had?

Miles Long: True to nature, The bike didn't like the way things were working. Being at 14 volts idling and dropping a 1/4 volt at 2500 rpm and staying there. Now it reads 13.76 volts at idle and climbs to just over 14 at 2500 rpm. I quit trying to figure this bike out. It's not of this world..

I backed the A/F Screws out to 3 turns in an attempt to richen things up a tiny bit... May go to 3-1/2 before I'm done...

For 4 days this bike has started and run like it's all brand new. The Sky is Falling........:rofl_200:Damn, It even let me apply a tiny bit of choke on the first start today. It must be becoming Normal or Something.....:confused2:

Knock on Wood............

Last edited:
It works now....

That's how I feel sometimes when I hit it too hard in first......:rofl_200::rofl_200::rofl_200:Like a streamer on the bike....

Kyle, is that really you on that Super Charged Micro Rocket Bike??????
Whatever he's running, we need some. We'd have 300 RWHP....

Back