Slight noise at idle?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

srk468

Reaction score
Hello everyone, I just started to notice that when hot and at idle (about 900rpm) I have a slight noise, kinda sounds like a knock :-( as soon as you feed it any throttle it clears up but once it's back to idle you can hear it. It's not obnoxiously loud or anything and I don't know enough about these engines to figure out whether it's something in the valvetrain or down lower but being that it only does it at hot idle has me fearing the worst. I have the synthetic Rotella oil in it and the oil has approx 1500 miles on it, the bike has just over 10,000 miles on it. Any advice where to look first?

Without hearing it for myself it's hard for me to say what it is.
Butttttt, These engines are not the the most quiet and there are many out there (including mine) that just have that ticking sound when it idles.
what side of the engine is the noise coming from.

Without hearing it for myself it's hard for me to say what it is.
Butttttt, These engines are not the the most quiet and there are many out there (including mine) that just have that ticking sound when it idles.

Yea I hear ya about not being a quiet engine!! LOL I was thinking about adjusting the valves to see it that helps, also gonna get that synthetic Rotella outta there and just go to regular Rotella cause in my opinion it's just too thin of oil for the bike. I sure hope nothing major is wrong, the bike runs perfectly and still rips so I think I'm going to try the above options first but if there is something wrong I guess it's time to get with Sean about that 1500 I emailed him about just didn't wanna spend the cash right this second.

It's not uncommon for them to have some odd noises. Sounds like your noise is similar to what the 94 I have for sale right now is making. I wouldn't sweat it much myself.

Sean

It's not uncommon for them to have some odd noises. Sounds like your noise is similar to what the 94 I have for sale right now is making. I wouldn't sweat it much myself.

Sean

Thanks Sean, I am definitely going to do an engine build but want to get this swingarm/ bigger tire out of the way first. I finally decided on going with a gen 2 rear tire 200/50-18 and my other wheel is at Kossman right now and they are making it 18" x 6" and I'm also gonna throw some juice to it but only going with a 40hp shot but I'm still wanting to get this noise figured out BUT it is hotter than all hell here right now too so that could have something to do with it.

Thanks Sean, I am definitely going to do an engine build but want to get this swingarm/ bigger tire out of the way first. I finally decided on going with a gen 2 rear tire 200/50-18 and my other wheel is at Kossman right now and they are making it 18" x 6" and I'm also gonna throw some juice to it but only going with a 40hp shot but I'm still wanting to get this noise figured out BUT it is hotter than all hell here right now too so that could have something to do with it.
Here is you a big tire buy it & sell the rest. http://worcester.craigslist.org/mcy/2428425340.html

It's ok my HT coils are brand new and make enough noise that you can here them on the freeway! I'm thinking of rubber coating the stator cover just to shut them up!

Hello everyone, I just started to notice that when hot and at idle (about 900rpm) I have a slight noise, kinda sounds like a knock :-( as soon as you feed it any throttle it clears up but once it's back to idle you can hear it. It's not obnoxiously loud or anything and I don't know enough about these engines to figure out whether it's something in the valvetrain or down lower but being that it only does it at hot idle has me fearing the worst. I have the synthetic Rotella oil in it and the oil has approx 1500 miles on it, the bike has just over 10,000 miles on it. Any advice where to look first?

Your idle is a little low IMO, bump it up to 1000-1100 and see if it quiets down some.

As others said, these motors sound more like rock crushers than sewing machines....most likely it's just a normal sound....disturbing....but normal! :punk:

does the noise change when the clutch lever nis pulled in? If it does could be clutch basket wear

That's a little obnoxious Kyle! LOL I wanted a 200 tire but I wanted to keep my gearing the same and the gen 2 tire is the closest thing I could find, it's just barely a little taller.
Is Kosman converting the Gen2 wheel? Would like to hear more about the Gen2 wheel conversion since I like the design and they are 18".

Mine makes the same sound. Has for a while now. I'm not too concerned either.

You can do like I did and do the old "put the long narrow wooden stick to your ear and different parts of the motor-trick" and listen for where the loudest sounds are coming from.

I did this and found alot of noise coming from my water pump area and No. 2 cylinder valve train.

Is Kosman converting the Gen2 wheel? Would like to hear more about the Gen2 wheel conversion since I like the design and they are 18".

No Red, I bought another wheel from a 95 I think (got it off ebay) and sent it to them so it's going from 15" x 3.5" to 18" x 6" I figured this way I didn't have to mess around trying to get the shaft to work.

does the noise change when the clutch lever nis pulled in? If it does could be clutch basket wear

I thought about that Spyder so it's the first thing I tried when I first noticed it but there is no change but thanks to guys like you on this site is the only reason I knew to check, I have learned sooo much in a year and I love it! This bike has taken me back to when I first started learning about cars and making them go fast, it's quite exciting! :punk: Thanks again for all the advice guys, I've just recently started posting more because when I first got here I was too busy reading! :biglaugh:

As mentioned, your idle could stand to come up a little. I run both of mine idling at 1050 rpm. Keeps a little oil pressure showing on both gauges... Sounds lumpy and revs fast too, that's Cool...

As mentioned, your idle could stand to come up a little. I run both of mine idling at 1050 rpm. Keeps a little oil pressure showing on both gauges... Sounds lumpy and revs fast too, that's Cool...

Yea in cooler weather she idles about 1000 but as hot as it's been it's at about the 800-900 mark but I'll bump it up again but I noticed my shiftlight and factory tach don't exactly jive either, 900 rpm on the light is about 1050-1100 on the tach and to be honest I trust the light more! LOL

Back