slips out and back in

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garbilizon

Reaction score
Hi Vmaxers
My oem clutch is only about 1000 miles (and 4 1/8 mile passes) old.

I had a shop change my clutch last time because I was living in brooklyn NY at the time and didn't want to do that on the sidewalk.
when i got the bike back the lever started to get harder and harder so i bled the line and found a bunch of air (I hate bike shop).

It recently started to slip at WOT from low rpm to midrange and then slides back to engage the gear at about 6-7k rpm (My vboost is stock).

At least that's how it feels, only when i open the throttle fast it goes up the revs but doesn't accelerate until I feel it slide back in.

The clutch was flawless until now and It seems weird that is slips at low rmp and weirder that it comes back, but this is the first time I've had an hydraulic clutch, that's why I'm asking you.

Help :ummm:

Sounds like you need to install the DD spring conversion. If it continues to slip after that it could be another issue (trans going bad).

Sean

Do you have the proper oil on the bike? Some oils use anti-friction additives that are cancer for wet clutches. i had the same problem with the proper oil even when i was cranking it in between red lights... and it would only grab at higher rpms. My guess is that the disc would get hotter and the grip would rise. Not good though. the metal discs loose their temper and you can check that by seeing a blueish color on them. Fine grit sandpaper does the trick. Do what Sean suggested and double D your clutch... Stiffer handle but better grasp... Cheers

Proper oil,
I think I'll need to save some more money now, I was saving for a jet kit, now I'll need to add the DD springs.

Sean, Do you sell that?
It will save me money on shipping if I get it all from one place.

$75 for the spring, $9.50 for the full size clutch plate, $7.44 for the gasket, $7 Shipping.

Sean

$75 for the spring, $9.50 for the full size clutch plate, $7.44 for the gasket, $7 Shipping.

Sean

just to confirm the full size plate replaces the 1/2 plate, the wire holder and the two small metal disks right?

as you said you put the 'smooth' side of the metal disks in facing 'out' however does it matter which way the friction plates face as long as the two divots line up with the two marks?

I have an extra OEM clutch spring with about 23,000 miles on it that I'm willing to sell cheap! Upgraded to the PCW HD clutch. PM me if interested.

Thanks but I'll try changing the oil again, If that doesnt work I'll get the DD from Sean.

Any suggestions for oil for NC weather that will be good on my clutch?

Thanks but I'll try changing the oil again, If that doesnt work I'll get the DD from Sean.

Any suggestions for oil for NC weather that will be good on my clutch?

the DD uses a stock spring so heretic may be able to get u the mod quite cheap.

Update:
Been riding it every day since and it stopped slipping.

I tried to in any gear, It just fixed itself somehow,
All i got is a long black stripe on the road behind me.

I'll change the oil anyway just incase there is something related.

I guess I can spend the money on a carb kit instead. :clapping:

Back