Spark in carb

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxxx98

Reaction score
Yesterday i had my airbox off while the bike was running, i looked into the mouth of the carb as i was giving it gas and saw a spark jump from the needle to the body of the carbs.....i have recently taken apart my spark plug boot to clean the insides so i'm thinking this may be part of the problem...does anyone know order of reassembly of the boot?...i'm thinking i may have put the small brass disc in the wrong position....would that cause a spark in the carb?

I think you may have screwed the plug back into the wrong hole! lol

That's a new one on me. And I'm sure it can't be a good thing.

Usually, when spark goes to the wrong place, rather than to the spark plug on these bikes, the charging system proves to be less than adequate to provide a full 12.6 or greater volts to the TCI boxes. The TCI boxes are a known problem, and this malfunction usually first shows up when the bike is warmed sufficiently to kick on the fan. The extra amperage pull of the fan will draw down the idle voltage below minimum, and the TCI will then begin acting up. I've seen errant spark jump off the wires to places you'd think not possible. But NEVER have I heard of it jumping to a point inside a carb.

could the incorrect reassembly of the spark plug boot cause this ? in which order does the assembly go ?

Yesterday i had my airbox off while the bike was running, i looked into the mouth of the carb as i was giving it gas and saw a spark jump from the needle to the body of the carbs.....i have recently taken apart my spark plug boot to clean the insides so i'm thinking this may be part of the problem...does anyone know order of reassembly of the boot?...i'm thinking i may have put the small brass disc in the wrong position....would that cause a spark in the carb?

spring, tiny brass disc, resistor, brass screw with plug pinch spring, lower boot

thanks danny, that is how i put it together... now i'm baffled....why the spark ? i will try to take a video tomorrow

Am I the only one thinking spark...carbies...petrol.....Kaboom.....

I'd not be starting the engine again til I find the cause...

The carbs are di-electrically isolated from the bike, the cables also isolated thru the throttle block. Seems like the only remaining conduit for rogue power would be the fuel itself.....originating in the tank or fuel pump, but why would it arc around the needle, there's no ground? :ummm:

As mentioned a video would be great if you can take one.

That doesn't make sense spark in carbs?? Are you sure it's spark not fuel droplets?? All my years of wrenching bikes,cars this is the first!!!!

is this our version on the burning Bush....lol I'm kidding I'm kidding......video be great...sounds like static maybe just ground the bike and see if it goes away. ....

"Usually, when spark goes to the wrong place, rather than to the spark plug on these bikes, the charging system proves to be less than adequate to provide a full 12.6 or greater volts to the TCI boxes. The TCI boxes are a known problem, and this malfunction usually first shows up when the bike is warmed sufficiently to kick on the fan. The extra amperage pull of the fan will draw down the idle voltage below minimum, and the TCI will then begin acting up."

My bike idles rough when the fan is on. Anyone know how to troubleshoot this problem? Link to another thread?

Look at RaWarrior's sticky in the Electrical section about troubleshooting the charging system.

Back