Spark plug wires...So confused...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cgswss

Reaction score
OK, went riding after the rain and the roads were still wet. After a lot of road spray, My bike was running on 3 cylinders... when it was running good, only two at idle. several hours later (after sitting inside and drying out) she was back to all 4. Washed the bike to get rid of the puddle spray... bike would not start. After about 2 hours in the sun, started, and after warming up ran on all 4 again. While it could be a lot of things, my first guess is wires or maybe caps. At least thats where I'm going to start.

So a quick trip over to ebay and I see just want I want- colored wires with new caps at a not too bad price. Then I find another add for "8mm high performance" wires with super duper caps- why go with OLD tech? And these are the best wires on planet earth... except I find another add that says HE has the best wires because he uses taylor wire and those other guys use car wire while his is made for M/C apps.

SOOO I wondering if any of you have first hand knowledge on this.

If it weren't late at night I might just have called Sean to see what he had to offer.

Thanks!

Not looking good for a long ride on Saturday- just my luck

Yeah- I was reading another thread about that, but I want to get this back on the road SOON- so I ust ordered a set of the 7mm wires with caps. I got a set from the same guy for the Honda last year and they are good. I'm going to try sealing the old wires for the weekend But I'm guessing I'l be missing Saturdays ride.

It's most likely wires and or cracks in the coils. I had same issue I replaced wires & the problems solved but some have had the same issues w/ cracks in the coils. Next year I am going cops

Are you running a Dyna ignition box? Moisture can do weird things to them sometimes.

NO my bike is a stock '97. Biggest mod to date is that I added a shift light. I bought it to ride- not work on. Besides if I start doing upgrades, I'll go full house crazy. I'm sorta like some people that you can't let them have that first drink. Only I'm addicted to spending money. Which I don't have.

I honestly think any good aftermarket wire is as good as any other. I run Accell because its easy to find. I can buy an 8 cylinder universal kit at auto zone or O'rielly's and make it last forever.

I wouldn't go any bigger than 8mm or you'll have hell getting them into the coil "ports"

You can toss the stock boots too but if you do that you'll need suppression wire, which is most of the wire out there.

Back