Spring change Only

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmax1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am trying to find the thread for changing front springs only on an 85 vmax. Not enough money to do everything. Do the forks have to come off of the bike to do this? Kinda limited on tools. Any help or direction to seans video would be helpful. :ummm:

It's easy and the forks don't have to come off. Do make sure the front forks are fully unloaded. Jack under the engine till front the tire if off the ground and forks fully extended.Very important. Good time to change fork oil too.
Steve-o

I usually put a floor jack to get front end off ground a bit. That way the springs won't be under as much pressure when you remove the caps.

yeah. you should have a little drain phillips head screw at the bottom of the fork legs.
Still be prepared for the top cap to be under spring tension when it comes loose.
once drained, and top off reach in with something maybe a bend coat hanger and grab the springs.
Michael

Long story short: I have progressive springs for an 85 that I took off of mine. I think they are Racetechs. I have no use for them and i'm not a greedy fellow so lemme know if ya want em. You're the first person to mention needin springs on a early model so you're the first I've offered em to.

Green light blitz I already have the progressive springs. But thanks for the offer. Will the caps just unscrew or do you have to take off the air line that runs between the forks? Also are they righty tighty. Or are they reversed threads? :confused2: Thanks for the help.

You pop the caps off with a screw driver and there will be a large Allen head under it to take out. You won't need to remove the air collar if you're leaving the forks on the bike.

I removed my air collar to put my clip-ons on and don't regret it at all, but that requires a little plugging action as well.

Green light blitz I already have the progressive springs. But thanks for the offer. Will the caps just unscrew or do you have to take off the air line that runs between the forks? Also are they righty tighty. Or are they reversed threads? :confused2: Thanks for the help.
Right t tighty lefty loosy. Caps will just come off after you loosen the triple clamp bolt.

hey ace my brother might be interested in the progressives. does anyone know how to tell progressives vs stock by looking at them?

I know they pulled them out when they put my NEW racetechs in, they have the same steel tube spacers race tech uses and 4 springs total(2 short sections, 2 long ones)I can take a couple pics to help If needed

No it sat at regular hieght with em in.
Okay let me talk to him.

Does anyone have a pic or know how to compare progressive springs to stock?

not sure what the free length is of progressive springs are garrett. im still waiting for mine in the mail..... dam canada post grrrrrrrr

TA-SPRING! Gotcha a picture to go off. I THINK they are Racetechs but Im a know nothing... if anyone knows please set me strait.

Attachments

• DSCN1716.JPG
    DSCN1716.JPG
    293.1 KB · Views: 13

Latest posts

Back