Stage 7 or Morley Muscle

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulVmax

Reaction score
Look I know there is hundreds of thread about this topic but I have seen some people's set up include dyno 7 parts and morleys kit parts so I want to know what one is the best and easiest to fit !!! and what power differences are there !!!

I have a Morley kit on mine. It's a snap to install, you get to keep some of that mid/low range power that tends to get lost in a stage 7. I went with the adjustable, stage 7 needles as well.
No complaints here. With the louvered faux tank, I get a more of the inhaling sound too and that's always a plus :)

apza.jpg

Since this picture was taken, I hot glued about an inch of foam around it to make a seal against the faux tank. As you can see by the direction of the louvers, I have a convention of mini scoops grabbing some air.

archangel20132.jpg

I've got a Morley kit too, I like the idea of keeping the stock airbox but I'll admit the stage 7 is easier to access because the airbox is pretty big. The stage 7 needles and springs are an option with the Morley kit because a lot of us want more control over our needles. If I had it to do over again I'd still buy the Morley kit, Sean's a great guy to buy from too..

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

SRK i have read you need to drill the slides why is this ?

I think it has something to do with the longer weaker stage 7 spring to where it sees more vacuum signal but Sean would be the guy to ask on that one.. I drilled mine and used the stage 7 springs and needles but you can use the stage 7 needles and keep your stock springs and not drill them because a lot of the guys on here do that too. I really like my setup though so I'm not sorry I did it :)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

i have no experience w/the Morley's kit. I have a full Stage 7 install. My mechanic tuned the Stage 7 so I can run the VBoost, though the sense of "camminess" you get w/it is reduced, the engine just keeps pulling smoothly right-through to redline. I have a Dyna 3000 ignition box and love it for the rev limiter. I haven't experimented much w/the ignition curves, but will eventually. I also have made an attempt to run w/the VBoost left open, and while the bike seemed to run OK, I went back to the functional VBoost. I am dyno-averse at this time, http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=21873&highlight=Dyno+dilemma
so I am not going to have dyno results to back-up my changes.

My setup doesn't much like being wacked wide-open below about 6K, but if you roll-into the throttle, it pulls cleanly even from down-low. There is no surging or "hunting" when you are running at say, 3K rpm. You can cruise at that throttle opening if you wish. I sometimes run it a gear lower if I need to rely on snappy acceleration when in heavy traffic, to avoid any lag. If things aren't requiring lots of throttle manipulation I can run in 4th or even 5th, but to make a clean burst of acceleration from say, a 40-50 mph starting point, I would gear-down the bike to 3rd, and then go back to 5th to resume cruising. I often will change-up > 1 gear at a time to avoid having to shift so-much, and 2nd is probably the upchange gear I bypass the most.

Honestly, your results w/either should be satisfactory. Sean Morley is available to help you w/any issues you may have for his kit, a distinct advantage. The other members have lots of Stage 7 experience, too, so if you chose strictly on the basis of, say, price, because you got a deal on a used setup (I got two that way) then you should be able to get it running to your satisfaction. I think the Stage 7 may provide a bit more intake noise, which some people like, I do, because of the individual K&N pods.

You should invest a few nights doing the search function, and cut & paste the entries you find especially helpful to a file. Then read those again, and decide which-way to go.

Both good kits & both basically do the same thing. I run the stage 7 because I like the extra room under the faux cover. I have room to mount solenoids or could probably manage to squeeze a small nitrous bottle in there if I wanted.

I went with the Morley kit and never looked back. As already stated, they kinda do the same thing. For me, I like the use of the stock air box because it's more water proof. I got stuck out in a bad rain storm last Monday, I had no issues. You also get a lot of jet options with Morley's kit. The stock velocity stacks in the stock air box work really well once the jet kit is installed as well, and I think that's where the lower-mid power comes from with the Morley kit.

Plus, Morley is a great guy to deal with and one of the reasons I purchased the Morley kit over the Stage 7. Morley helped me out quite a few times before I ever bought anything from him.

I'm by no means a guru, but I do have my bike running fantastic thanks to Morley, Mark, & some others on here as well.

All the best to you!!

What one is easier to fit ?

Pretty much the same other than the air box vs the individual filters on the carbs. One more thing, Morley's kit comes with the air filter where Stage 7 does not.

Might sound like I'm knocking Stage 7 but I'm not. I'm just saying I've had really good luck with Morley's kit.

I have no experience with Mr Morleys kit but I do have a stage 7 set up on my Max. Idles smoothly at 800rpm and pulls like a demented crack whore all the way through the rev range. V Boost is enabled but it seems to transition more smoothly @6000 rpm than others describe. My only issue is some popping back through the carbs when the temp is over 90 degrees but other than that it's an absolute blast. My bike was set up thus when I bought it so I had no choice in the matter but if I were doing the work myself I would go with Sean's service. He seems like a real nice bloke and straight up assistance and advice is invaluable.

Chris.

Back