Starter rebuild?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Olds Guy

Reaction score
I have a new battery in the bike (Panasonic LCX1220P) but it still cranks slow. I attributing this to the guy jump starting the bike with his truck before I got there when I bought it. New brushes fix this? If so who makes a quality kit for the parts.

I really thank you guys for the help and direction you have given this newby!!

Thanks again, Jeff

P.S. I like that fact the every post doesn't turn into a pissing match like my favorite Olds forum has....

http://www.ronayers.com/STARTING-MOTOR-C456227.aspx
There should be what ya need here. But, an upgrade to a later model 4
brush model might better suit you. It's more powerful. Voltage drop through the cables on
our bikes causes a lot of problems. The cables are big
enough when they are new, but after 25 years or so,you know.
I don't think the truck battery would hurt a healthy system, but would
have more damaging potential than the battery on board.

I wouldn't think jump starting the bike would have damaged it's starter. More likely it just needs a good disassembly and cleaning. Most notably, the older two brush starters have trouble making good ground contact between the brush plate (plate the brushes mount to) and the starter case itself.

With mine, all I had to do was take the two case halves apart. Shine them up a bit and blow out the dust. Before reassembly, I used a pair of pliers and 'tweeked' the two locator tabs on the brush plate (the small tabs which align the plate to the case halves), so that they were slightly bent. What that did was cause the plate itself to make a much harder contact with the case halves when I reinstalled the case bolts and tightened them down. I've not had a single problem with slow cranking since, and it's now been about 6 yrs since I last had it apart.

Cost for this repair was a gallon of antifreeze which I changed out at the same time I had the front lines apart to make removal of the starter easier to reach.

edit: I might add, I did not have to completely remove the brushes from the brush plate when I did mine. All I did was blow out the dust, clean the case areas where the brush plate tabs will contact when assembles, bend the tabs for a tighter bond, then reassemble.

Back