Starting problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigred

Reaction score
Hi, fitted a new battery in march was starting fine but now even though the battery has charge ( kept on an optimate) the bike doesn't want to start. when you turn the key to on the lights on the panel come on, you get the click click click then it pops from the exhaust. It will start if jumped but then dies again. Any suggestions?????:ummm:

"Kept on an optimate" doesn't necessarily mean your battery is in good condition either. It may fail a load test. Take a voltage reading on it just sitting there, and also a reading as you are pushing the starter button. Should have around 12.8v sitting, and not fall much below 10.8 while cranking the starter. (10.8 I think)

Vmax TCI boxes hate low voltage and will not operate properly if your charging system isn't putting out good voltage at idle (13.25v min) and the battery is below par at the same time...

K i need help also i just checked my battery and 12.20v sitting , hit start button goes down to about 6v or less:bang head: battery junk???? not sure of age or how to check charging system havent had alot of time to get to know my Max yet, thanks

K i put my battery on charger for seriously 5-7 minutes bike fired right up, checked battery running 12.75v also there was a weird squeling noise on left side when running i never heard before it seemed to go away after it ran for a minute and when i reved it up some, so is it worth starting with charge system or k new battery? any help would be great thanks

Sometimes the starter button will stick in the start position and that could be the squeling noise

Start with the battery. Fully charge it. Disconnect and let it sit overnight. If it's below 12.5 volts, I'd get a new battery. 6v fails the load test for a charged battery. It should hold at least 10 volts with a load on it, for a few seconds.
Then recheck the charging system with a known good battery. AN AGM battery is best if new is needed.
Steve

what about this battery or charging problem, not sure where i should start

12.75V is not that great. S/B more like 13.25-14.50V.

Do all year harnesses need the crimp fix, guys? If so, you should do that first. That's usually good for gaining 0.5-1.0V.

Then report back.

Latest posts

Back