Steering Lock - Effective?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

th3_mo3bius

Reaction score
hey all!

1. does anyone have any evidence (anecdotal or otherwise) about the effectiveness of the steering lock in reducing theft?

2. although i haven't found a wheel- or disk-lock that i like (and know would fit snugly) thought i'd ask about #1 before i buy AND if you have any suggestions or specific recommendations.

The steering lock will keep honest people honest. Seriously if someone wants your bike bad enough, it's probably to strip and part out. They're going to get it, no matter what you have done. My bike's never leave my sight when I'm out is the best security.... That and a 45 Auto.

Welcome to the VMF, Great People and Great Bikes.....

I had a motorcycle stolen a long time ago, Its steering lock was on. When I got the bike back it looked like a screwdriver/punch and a hammer was all it took to defeat. Now I use a disc lock if I'm going to be out of eyesight from my bike (which is rare)

Here is some locks and security things that are better than the fork lock.
http://www.kneedraggers.com/catalog/Locks,-Alarms-&-Security-Acces

The steering head lock is not a deterrent for most thieves except for totally inept ones. It only takes a stout yank on the bars and the locking pin is sheared or at least disabled. Most theives intent on stealing your bike are going to pick it up and stuff in a van or a truck then drive off.
Read the info on this link from a S Florida sportbike forum. Just be glad if you don't live close to the Mexican border!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D96QM-lzLM8

Oh yeah, I forgot about the old punch and screwdriver technique! Someone did that to my ignition on my last bike - he forgot about disk-lock. After replacing the brake caliper I rode it with the screwdriver as my key for about a month.

I am in the countryside and am mostly worried about joyriders. I didn't even realize there was a steering lock for at least a month! But since the lock is so vulnerable and it makes mr max more tipsy, gonna get a real lock. thanks for the link KJS!

@Redbone - Wow! Even just a stout yank will do it?!? And I thought I finally found a benefit of Mr Max's heft - as he'd be a pain in the ass to lift and carry away!

i . IN NEW JERSEY , IF THEY WANT IT , THEY JUST PULL UP WITH A PICK-UP TRUCK & THROW IT IN THE BACK , NO MATTER HOW ITS LOCKED-UP ! .. THE MORAL IS , DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY ON A GOOD LOCK , OR EVEN ENGAGING THAT PAIN IN THE ASS TO USE , " STEERING HEAD LOCK "!

i have a decent masterlock disk lock system. it fits well. its the one where there is a picture of the vmax on the back of it.

i have a decent masterlock disk lock system. it fits well. its the one where there is a picture of the vmax on the back of it.

The steering lock will keep honest people honest. Seriously if someone wants your bike bad enough, it's probably to strip and part out. They're going to get it, no matter what you have done. My bike's never leave my sight when I'm out is the best security.... That and a 45 Auto.

......................and a back up Glock 22 :punk:

......................and a back up Glock 22 :punk:
i . ONCE DANNY GETS A NEW FRAME FOR HIS " 06 " I'M GOING TO STEEL IT ! .. HELL , HE'LL STILL HAVE ONE LEFT ! .. :rofl_200:

Originally Posted by Rollie: ......................and a back up Glock 22
punk0000.gif

Actually my main weapon's a Glock Model 30, 45 right now... Glocks All Around. :biglaugh:

I keep mine in a tin shed with a lock on it and a motion sensor connected to the house alarm. Figure if I hear the shed being pealed open and the alarm going off I'm going to be taking aim with the flare gun in my night stand draw. Will try to miss my Max but light up a theifs life. Got a fire extinguisher for the bike. Let the theif wait for a fire truck.
Steve-o

Smith & Wesson makes several good deterents also.

But if money is a problem, I heard you can throw an old HD cover over it, dribble a few drops of used motor oil under the motor area and walk away. Most thieves won't even look twice with that set up being used.

But if money is a problem, I heard you can throw an old HD cover over it, dribble a few drops of used motor oil under the motor area and walk away. Most thieves won't even look twice with that set up being used.
:rofl_200:good one

Well guns are illegal, here. And this ain't Jersey - it would take about 6 Japanese men to put a bike in the back of a pickup...so that's not much of a threat. Guess i'm safe with just a little ol' disc or wheel lock. But where to put it? I used to lock my old "U"-shaped lock onto the rear pegs support framework on my last bike, but I don't see any good spots on Mr. Max. Possibly the grab rail behind the back seat, if the lock comes with a sheath of some sort?

Well guns are illegal, here. And this ain't Jersey - it would take about 6 Japanese men to put a bike in the back of a pickup...so that's not much of a threat. Guess i'm safe with just a little ol' disc or wheel lock. But where to put it? I used to lock my old "U"-shaped lock onto the rear pegs support framework on my last bike, but I don't see any good spots on Mr. Max. Possibly the grab rail behind the back seat, if the lock comes with a sheath of some sort?

I have used the Xena disc locks with internal motion senor alarms. These are fairly inexpensive and they make several types to consider. They attach to the front disc. Here is the company site, but they are all over ebay and onine cheaper!

http://www.xenasecurity.com/home/current/lock/

Back