Step by Step Carb Cleaning Anyone???

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kratos

Reaction score
Is there a thread on here that goes through cleaning out your carbs step by step. I have done the Shotgun twice, Peashooter once, opened up the bowls and shot carb cleaner on the float needles as well as in their seats. I?ve got an 07 MAX with 1445 miles, with K&N filter, Supertrapp slip-ons with open end caps and 8 discs per side, Nology hot wires, and E3 Diamondfire plugs. Main jets are stock, Needles are stock, and the a/f screws are turned out 4 turns. Idle is good, WOT is great, but at steady cruise around 4K rpm or so, it seems to still to have a lean popping and crackling sound to it. I just took the carbs out this past weekend and opened the bowls. The gas that came out when I drained the bowls looked good and the fuel in the bowls didn?t have any sediment . After shooting the bowls, float needles, needle seats, and any other holes I could find in the bowls with carb cleaner, the lean feeling has gotten better, but has still not gone away completely, so I feel as if I am missing something that still needs a shot of carb cleaner or an orifice that needs to be unclogged. I am told that I can?t be too lean with the setup I have, so I am fighting the urge to shim the needles. So, if anyone knows of a thread that goes through the steps of cleaning the VMAX carbs, step by step, please let me know.

In the forum section where you made your post, look for the stickies that were put together by NaughtyG, they are carb rebuild part 1-6 and go into ecellent detail about how it's done.

For a thorough cleaning I recommend stripping the carb body down to NOTHING, except for the throttle plates and springs. I mean every single jet/screw/?????......... anything that moves air or gas through any orifice....

Buy a gallon can of Berrymans carb/parts cleaner and soak each one of the carb bodies overnight one at a time.

Use a degreaser/electraclean/solvent/carb cleaner to blow every single orifice out in every single direction, to do this thoroughly you're gonna need several cans, $$$$$ It's better tho cause you can see for sure where it's coming out and compare different carbs to perhaps see any differences between them, hard to see that with compressed air.

As an alternative just trust that the soaking did it's job and blow the hell out of them in every single direction with compressed air, nozzled down to a fine tip...I used some tubing adapters and took my air hose down to a 1/16'' teflon tubing.

Make sure they get blown out before any loose gunk gets a chance to harden again after taking them out of the soaker bucket.

The best way to clean them is in a sonic cleaner like Morely has.....It's the shits

Thanks Rusty, I hadn't paid attention to that, as I thought it was just a tear down and rebuild of the carbs.:punk:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back