stock exhaust vs.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegetta58

Reaction score
Is oem exhaust the best for stock 2001 Vmax? Looking for new exhaust but dont want to give up performance just for the rumble. Thanks

the stock exhaust is actually ghost quiet, one day i was street racing with a few friends and a few guys stood down the road away from us, after the race they said, "DUDE, we heard your ENGINE coming"!!

Is oem exhaust the best for stock 2001 Vmax? Looking for new exhaust but dont want to give up performance just for the rumble. Thanks

I have a set of Supertrapps and they sound pretty good.....no loss in power.....

I am sure others will chime in with what they have.....

Check youtube for some sound clips:punk:

tons of stuff out there, take a look in the search for pipes and such, lots of sounds you can listen to and pick what you like. kerkers are loud but awesome, mark's 4-2 are wicked looking and sound super tough also not too loud and little up on power from stock. super traps like kyle's, looks like Mod monkey is gonna get a hold on you pretty fast man LOL

Its simple there are many ways to go but the #1 reason to dump the stock exhaust is weight! If you go slip ons you are not going to make any real hp gains, if you go full system you will prob have to re-jet and i think stage 1` is a waste of money. JIM

just so you know. there are a few main options. from cheapest to most expensive:

1. go back to OEM. can probably pick up some decent OEM mufflers for $100 - $150

2. get some aftermarket slip ons that don't loose power like the cobras. think $300 - $400.. supertrapps are adjustable in sound which is cool. might get away with like $200 if you find it used.

3. get a full system. do some minimal jetting, shim the needles/adjust a/f screws. think $800 - $1300

4. get a full system + jet kit. takes a bit of tuning most times. think $1000 - $1500 plus install fees

Yamaha did a pretty decent job with the oem exhaust, with a stock motor anyhow. But as previously mentioned, it's very heavy, silent as death and totally lacks in individualism.

I run Mark's Performance pipes,they have great sound, are much lighter and very simple carb work to set up....needle shim and air fuel adjust.

Don't know if he's still running it but he had the s/s, 4-2 system, 14" cans w/2" baffles on sale for $699.

http://marksperformance.com/

The Hindles that Sean has are very nice also, not sure what carb work is involved with them but it's a great system.

Another vote for Mark's 4-2 Exhaust system. The sound is awesome!! I decided to run mine with a jet kit, which I am using a Morley Muscle kit.

If you want to maintain stock pipes and get a little better sound, try removing the end caps and drilling 1/2 inch holes, then remount the end caps. Keeps the original look, gives better sound and its cheap!

Thanks for all the input. I'm likin the marks pipes. Sound great. thanks
its a kickass system man, great look and sound, i like the blacked out system but to each their own.

for sure when i can afford it im chg mine over to those.

Another vote for Mark's 4-2 Exhaust system. The sound is awesome!! I decided to run mine with a jet kit, which I am using a Morley Muscle kit.
Same here and agreed. The sound is awesome. Not annoying loud, but has the lump-lump of a muscle car.

I found an interesting exhaust set up on ebay by a company called Delkevic. I found delkevic's website, they're based out of the UK. interestingly theres no reference to vmax exhaust on their website.. but theres a company selling a set for the max on the ebay. I contacted delkevic to see if they're legit

I found an interesting exhaust set up on ebay by a company called Delkevic. I found delkevic's website, they're based out of the UK. interestingly theres no reference to vmax exhaust on their website.. but theres a company selling a set for the max on the ebay. I contacted delkevic to see if they're legit
I think our very own Sean Morley, one2dmax on here, is a dealer for Delkevic. PM him for that and other great deals on Vmax go fast parts! Great guy to work with as his service is second to none!:punk:

Back