stock, or re-jetted?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcdatzme

Reaction score
:ummm:Bought a used 06. 17000 miles.
Has OEM slip-ons.
I know this bike can run much better than it does.
Acts like and plugs look like it is running rich.
The previous owner put K&N filter kit on.
I?m not sure if the previous owner re-jetted.
What size jets are stock, or what should I look for to be sure whether it has been re-jetted properly?
Might need to know the proper jet kit.
Once I?m sure of the jetting, then I can sync the carbs.

Thanks in advance for your time and any suggestions.

:ummm:Bought a used 06. 17000 miles.
Has OEM slip-ons.
I know this bike can run much better than it does.
Acts like and plugs look like it is running rich.
The previous owner put K&N filter kit on.
I’m not sure if the previous owner re-jetted.
What size jets are stock, or what should I look for to be sure whether it has been re-jetted properly?
Might need to know the proper jet kit.
Once I’m sure of the jetting, then I can sync the carbs.

Thanks in advance for your time and any suggestions.

Common adjusted stock Jets are:
152.5 (mikuni) for the main
90 (mikuni) Pilot Air Jet 1
170 (mikuni) Pilot Air jet 2

You might gain some performance with the slip-ons if (if it hasn't been done yet) you drop your mains to a 147.5 and/or some tweaking of the A/F screws.

The way to check if it's been rejetted, is to pop them out and have a look at what size they are.

I'd try to sync the carbs first, then mess with the a/f screws to see if that crispens things up, then go to the main jet.

I wasn't aware there were OEM slip-ons either, do you mean just the stock muffler?

The jetting changed a bit over the years, IIRC the 85's had different jetting for the front bank and rear bank, 152.5 for one and 150 for the other. California bikes had leaner jetting as well.

My '97 had 150's in all four. With Holeshot slip ons the plugs looked a teensy bit on the fat side, 147.5's put them at a perfect toasted-marshmallow brown and the top end feels a bit crisper.

The PAJ2 is behind the diaphragm covers, easy to get to. Remove the scoops, pull the four bolts holding the cover and remove the diaphragm(gently). The one jet in there is PAJ2. It's an air jet, so bigger size=more air=leaner.

Mains are a bit more involved but not bad. Remove airbox lid, the airbox, and loosen the four clamps at the base of the carbs. Yank the carb rack(if it's never been off, might need some gentle prying with a big flat screwdriver) and flip it upside down (no need to disconnect the cables). Undo the bowl screws and the one jet you can see is the main. Use a screwdriver that fits WELL otherwise you'll likely strip the head. Once it's cracked loose, get a round toothpick, jam it in there, and unscrew it with that. Use the same trick for reinstallation.

My setup, bike runs like a dream.

Stock PAJ1
Stock PAJ2
Stage 1 needles, on 4th clip from pointy end
A/F screws 2.5 turns out.
147.5 mains.
K&N drop in
airbox "Y" shimmed up
Holeshot slip-ons

Back