Swingarm Problems

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have a set of torches, just cherrying them up a few times. If it's seized in the bearing, this may help.

I was thinking of that too. I will have to go and purchase a torch though. I am nervous about trying that since I have a newly powdercoated frame.

Lee,Maybe you problem was powdercoat on the threads to begin with.

Shawn,

I would not have attempted the install with the threads in that condition. I have learned from past mistakes. Just like I will learn from this one!

I think that I can localize the flame enough as to not damage the powdercoat. The area does seem to be wide enough.

Shawn,

I would not have attempted the install with the threads in that condition. I have learned from past mistakes. Just like I will learn from this one!

I think that I can localize the flame enough as to not damage the powdercoat. The area does seem to be wide enough.

An extra set of hands and some wet shop towels will help A LOT! I'm in the torch business and what you need is a heating head also known as a Rosebud. It will add heat fast which will keep it from transferring into the frame.:thumbs up:

An extra set of hands and some wet shop towels will help A LOT! I'm in the torch business and what you need is a heating head also known as a Rosebud. It will add heat fast which will keep it from transferring into the frame.:thumbs up:

You would not have a picture of this heating head would you? I will google it as well.

Thanks for the tip.

A rose bud is the last thing that you want to use on that bike unless you want to get the whole thing cherry red!

They are for seriously heating the shit out of really big areas.

An electronic ignition propane or map gas torch would be plenty.You know the ones with the screw on tank.I mostly use an electric heat gun for breaking loctite loose.

Once again my ignorance shows through. Here I thought that this rosebud was something that went on a small handheld torch.

I am going to go very slowly to remove this. I have at least 3 more months of winter here, so plenty of time.

They're OUT!!!

The good news: I got the swingarm pivot bolts out.

The better news: Was able to do it without any damage to my powdercoat.

The best news: I have all of you to thank for your assistance. I am sure that I would have gotten them out eventually, but your tips and advice made it go much faster!

Thanks!

Here's what I did: I went to Hornbach (German Home Depot) and bought a small propane torch. I heated the left side pivot bolt slowly by using just the very tip of the flame. Once I thought that it was hot enough, I inserted an L-shaped 6mm allen wrench. Using a "cheater" pipe I was able to break it loose a little bit. I started the process over and re-heated the bolt. Once hot enough, I again used the same process and it came loose the rest of the way. The right hand side did not even need to be heated. It came out then using just the allen wrench.

Now I have to dig out the old original pivot bolts and install the DEGET noched and braced Swingarm.

VMF ROCKS! THANKS FOLKS!:punk:

It's always worth a try!

How much does that arm weigh? I would love to compare to stock weight.:hmmm:

The Otec swingarm including bearings and grease tipped the scale at 13.5lbs.

I will have to get the stock swingarm and weigh it. Since it is in storage it might take a few days. Maybe one of the other fine members of this list has one handy to weigh.

Later!

I use Anti-Seize on EVERY bolt that doesn't call for loc-tite! :thumbs up: Glad you got it sorted!

Re: They're OUT!!!

The good news: I got the swingarm pivot bolts out.

The better news: Was able to do it without any damage to my powdercoat.

The best news: I have all of you to thank for your assistance. I am sure that I would have gotten them out eventually, but your tips and advice made it go much faster!

Thanks!

Here's what I did: I went to Hornbach (German Home Depot) and bought a small propane torch. I heated the left side pivot bolt slowly by using just the very tip of the flame. Once I thought that it was hot enough, I inserted an L-shaped 6mm allen wrench. Using a "cheater" pipe I was able to break it loose a little bit. I started the process over and re-heated the bolt. Once hot enough, I again used the same process and it came loose the rest of the way. The right hand side did not even need to be heated. It came out then using just the allen wrench.

Now I have to dig out the old original pivot bolts and install the DEGET noched and braced Swingarm.

VMF ROCKS! THANKS FOLKS!:punk:

Excellent! Glad it came out undamaged! :clapping: What are you doing with the Otec swingarm? Are you interested in selling it?

Man! Not even letting the body get cold!

Buster, All,

I have no current plans of selling the Otec swingarm. Once I can get the Max through inspection and registered I am working on getting this BSM exhaust modified to fit the Otec swingarm.

I think that all it will need is to cut off the muffler mounting flange and insert a 3 to 4 inch extension. That will put the cans past the swingarm and also give them more of a "High Pipe" look at the same time.

Another ongoing project to keep everyone informed of.

The Otec swingarm including bearings and grease tipped the scale at 13.5lbs.

I will have to get the stock swingarm and weigh it. Since it is in storage it might take a few days. Maybe one of the other fine members of this list has one handy to weigh.

Later!

I just weighed my spare. The stock swingarm and bearings weigh approx 8.75lbs.

WOW. That's a heck of a diff! That's a lot of added unsprung weight.

Thanks

Sure does. Now what may be the best way to adjust the rear suspension to cope with the additional unsprung weight?

Last edited:
Sure does. Now what may be the best way to adjust the rear suspension to cope with the additional unsprung weight?

I imagine a good set of shocks and springs but then they would make a braced stocker phenominal!

Latest posts

Back