synthetic oil

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vegetta58

Reaction score
I've read on here where yall have clutch slippage with synthetic oils. I run amsoil in all my vehicles so I decided to try it in the Vmax. I put motorcycle 10w-40 with amsoil filter and have not had any such issues. Does shift smoother though. Just wanted to let yall know if you want to try and run syns. The filter number is EAOM103 and Product code for a gallon of oil is MCF1G-EA. Not a dealer just trying to help out a little where I can since yall have given me so much help and info.:clapping:

I've read on here where yall have clutch slippage with synthetic oils. I run amsoil in all my vehicles so I decided to try it in the Vmax. I put motorcycle 10w-40 with amsoil filter and have not had any such issues. Does shift smoother though. Just wanted to let yall know if you want to try and run syns. The filter number is EAOM103 and Product code for a gallon of oil is MCF1G-EA. Not a dealer just trying to help out a little where I can since yall have given me so much help and info.:clapping:

The real issue is when people run CAR oil in them. The friction modifiers are what cause all the issues IMO.

I've run syn in mine since about 3000 miles with no issues.

+1 with Chris.

I only run Synthetics in all my Bikes (Royal Purple which is a car oil). Regarding clutch slippage due to oil IMO based on experience if any engine oil (car oil included) is causing slippage than the issue is the clutch, not the oil. I personally know of a few guys that have run car oil in bikes for many years w/o any clutch issues. I've done it myself for 2 decades. I've Drag raced & Road raced with car oil w/o an issue.

Car oils have moly' in them which is deleted from many bike oils.

And yes, they do shift smother with Syn' Car oil.

RR

It's not so much with synthetics...I've been running the Mobil 1 4T full syn motorcycle oil with no issues.

The only time an oil can hurt a clutch is if its an automotive "high mileage" oil. Those oils have special friction modifiers that can often cause clutch slipping.

It's not so much with synthetics...I've been running the Mobil 1 4T full syn motorcycle oil with no issues.

The only time an oil can hurt a clutch is if its an automotive "high mileage" oil. Those oils have special friction modifiers that can often cause clutch slipping.

Actually ANY oil that says Energy Conserving on the back has the friction modifiers in it.

I use Mobil 1 full syn for years now, no issue:confused2:. I was bored one day and read the whole " oil " thread, I so need to get a life :rofl_200:

I use Mobil 1 full syn for years now, no issue:confused2:. I was bored one day and read the whole " oil " thread, I so need to get a life :rofl_200:
HA HA HA I guess I need to get a life too LOL!i'm trying Rotella 5w40 this time,I hope I don't have any issues!!I got to much invested in this bike already to screw the clutch!!!

ive tried several syn oils....alll seem to make engine noisey...at least in my max. or perhaps in MY head lol. seemed to be like that with my ol v65 magna also. i just use honda 10w40 ...i change my oil every 2k anyhoo.

That is quite a read for sure, been there done that!:th_12: I guess Michigan's long winters affords us the time for just such reading subjects.
I ran the rotella 5w40 in the past but after my rebuild of my trans I'm going to use the rotella 15w40 this year.

That is quite a read for sure, been there done that!:th_12: I guess Michigan's long winters affords us the time for just such reading subjects.
I ran the rotella 5w40 in the past but after my rebuild of my trans I'm going to use the rotella 15w40 this year.
So do you think that by using the rotella 5w40 caused you to have tranny issues?I'm trying the 5w40 because the 15w40 seems a little heavy to me.

No, I did not have any issues from the Rotella syn oil. I went to change my oil last summer and couldn't find the syn anywhere locally so I went back to the 15w40.

Back