take a Fazer 700 in?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RaWarrior

Reaction score
The other day I tossed up my old '85 Honda FL350 Odyssey. Just I hardly ever use it and figure I could swap it for something more interesting. Decent original shape, bigger carb, runs like new, everything works. I was asking $1500 going by what these usually go for, though the book is only like $500.

Got someone who offered me an '86 Fazer 700 for it. looks to be in decent shape from the pics, said it needs "a little tinkering". These are the cool looking ones with the "mini" scoops, right? The book value for it in "good"(minor repairs) shape is only around $600 though.

though I've heard these are pretty rare/cool bikes in their own right, so if I can get one for pretty much nothing I might take it on in.

yes the 700 fazer is a rather rare and cool bike. often it was referred to as the "mini" vmax". it has downdraft crabs and a 5 valve head. they come up on ebay now and then. in pristine cond they will fetch 3k to 3.5k. but ive seen crappy ones sell for 1500. neat bike tho.

As-much as you like to tinker, take it in for the entertainment value but do not expect to make a 401K profit off it. You could have fun putting less mi on the 'Max by riding it & still having fun.

Another one which I think is more "VMax-like" is the Maxim X, which is more-rare. It's a cruiser & has the performance to back up its looks for the era. I thnk you could have some fun w/the Fazer if you got it, but you probably won't get your $ out, so don't spend $$ on it by the time you are done. There is a Seca 900 locally which looks to be in good shape, they were pretty-cool-looking.
5L65Kd5Jd3G43L93M6c5l0cb56680f3631488.jpg

Asking $2K 1982 Seca 900
man this is a monster, not for a beginner very rare and powerful bike
great for long rides , highway use or street rider
complete service just completed new batter bike sounds like a v max and will probably run with one
4500 miles old school hot rod for sure
this bike has such low miles bercause it was stolen and the ole man got it back and was afaid to take it out.
call jr 954 6872411 for info
Date: 2012-06-07, 7:17PM EDT
Reply to: [email protected]
http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/3028672066.html

i had a mixim x. nice lil bike. but it was high strung. it was a ripper tho..just had to keep her spooling LOL. small gas tank sucked tho. another great ol bike!!!!

I say grab it unless it turns out to be a pos.......they are a cool bike, Sean has done a lot with them and can be made to run!..................Tom.

After looking at it in person , and hearing it run , I would consider it. If tinkering means it won't run ( and he hasn't been able to get it to run ) , I would pass on it.

Those Fazers are almost bullet proof! Almost because only I can break them lol. I've got a 1029cc version I have been wanting to sell for awhile. It's far faster then the Vmax!!

i had a mixim x. nice lil bike. but it was high strung. it was a ripper tho..just had to keep her spooling LOL. small gas tank sucked tho. another great ol bike!!!!

One of these ey, MM? Bought this one new in '85, sold it in '88 and bought it back from the guy last Aug.....16K on her of which 8K are mine from 'back then'.

Grab it RA, get yerself a manual, adjust the valves, rebuild the carbs and you got one fun little bike.

Attachments

• 100_2880.jpg
    100_2880.jpg
    172.2 KB · Views: 27
I like your ride, "Dannymax!" Then again, I like '80's bikes. I think the Yamahas have a nice finish on them.

Took a look at it this evening. Red/black color scheme. In I guess what you'd call average shape for a mid 80's bike. Some rust spots here and there but not bad. Most of the bodywork is off it and in boxes, though it looks pretty much all there.

It was last on the road in '93, and shows 20k on the clock. Been sitting since.

The motor cranks up off a booster and just spits and sputters but wouldn't run. One of the carbs was majorly leaking fuel as well.
For whatever reason the banjo bolt for the clutch cylinder is missing
The rear blinkers are missing, and the front ones are dead(switch feels stiff/damaged)
Has crummy old Dunlop tires from 1993

Said he'd toss in a new battery with it if I decide to swap.

I'm not sure the value is equal. I hate trading something that needs nothing at all and runs perfect for something that needs considerable work.

One of these ey, MM? Bought this one new in '85, sold it in '88 and bought it back from the guy last Aug.....16K on her of which 8K are mine from 'back then'.

Grab it RA, get yerself a manual, adjust the valves, rebuild the carbs and you got one fun little bike.

yep!! xactly!!! i have a pic somewhere of the one i had...sweet lil bike!!:punk:

Wonder if the older generations of the Z are as fun as the new ones. Honestly that's not a bad deal since the damage looks to be pretty superficial....nothing a bottle of touch up paint wouldn't cure.

Though I do remember hearing, of all things, the first gen Zs were known for speed wobbles.

And that fazer had a full Kerker 4-1 system on it as well. Supposedly it has a "built motor", but that was the extent of what the guy knew...supposedly it was his uncle's who died years ago.

Wonder if the older generations of the Z are as fun as the new ones. Honestly that's not a bad deal since the damage looks to be pretty superficial....nothing a bottle of touch up paint wouldn't cure.

Though I do remember hearing, of all things, the first gen Zs were known for speed wobbles.

And that fazer had a full Kerker 4-1 system on it as well. Supposedly it has a "built motor", but that was the extent of what the guy knew...supposedly it was his uncle's who died years ago.

Id take a running z with potential wobbles over a fazer that might have some legit issues for seems to be less than double the difference? If u come out this way give me a holler.

I'll see if I can sell it outright or if any more interesting trades come along. That Z is looks to be a sweet deal, though not sure there's "room" for 2 bikes with me. As in 2 bikes I both like and would want to keep, I'd be torn between which one I want to ride. I need a monogamous bike relationship.

Actually someone just emailed me and said they'd swap a 1970 Yamaha CS3 with only 2800 original miles for it. 200cc 2-stroke. No picture yet so not sure of condition.

That z1000 sounds too cheap to not be a scam...? I know if it came up in my area I'd snag it just to flip, dunno, are they offering free shipping both ways and a no questions return policy:)

I didn't get that whiff of "scam" about it....bikes that have been downed, and have obvious damage from it, can be really tough to sell. Even if it just tipped over in a parking lot of a low speed slide out, that caused no real damage other than cosmetic, scares people off. You have to really price them low to get anyone to bite.

Back