temperature too high?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zoomone

Reaction score
Summer is here...... at least in California. I have searched and seen a few posts on the temperature gauge on the V-Max but yet have to come to a good conclusion. I took the Max out for a ride a couple of weekends ago with temperatures over 100 F. The gauge got to almost red (in city traffic), maybe a hair under it beforethe fan actualy turned on. When the fan turns on it only birngs it down to 5/8. Is this really normal? I was having a panic going through traffic in the city thinking it would overheat. Do you guys have the same issue? I know there are many different things that could go wrong, the thermostatic switch, the thermo sensor, the thermostat itself, the gauge, the valve down below by the oil filter and the gauge itself. Is this normal? Should I be concerned? I have read that some of you guys install a by-pass switch for the fan, to be in the confort zone, how are you wiring it? Is this mod really necessary or just to be safe? Being that the fan actually turns on makes me think everything is working as it should but why doe the temp gauge needs to read almost red before it goes on?

The actual mod is easy. The fan switch is right below the radiator fill under the right side scoop. You just wire in a toogle switch to jump the fan switch so you can turn in on anytime you want.

Some of us in hotter areas do this so we can turn the switch on earlier then the stock sensor does. I don't think anyone who rides in 95 plus temps with stop and go traffic likes waiting for that bike to get that hot for it to kick on. I just did mine up last week, haven't really tested it to see how much of a difference it will make for me.

Here's a picture of what dkw0417 was referring to.

Attachments

• fanswitch.jpg
    fanswitch.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 68
Mod done! Thanks guys. Now I just have to wait and see the results. At least I will have control and won't have to panic at near red mark!

Just don't forget to turn it off when you stop or you will run the battery down. (Unless you wired where it turns off with the ignition switch).

Does anyone have instructions on how to connect a toggle switch and wire it so it turns off with the ignition ? pictures would be nice too.

Thanks in advance
Ron

Thanks Cop Runner. I know a guy that has a laser thermometer and will take some readings just to check. At this point I have installed the by-pass toggle but have not been able to test it as it has not been that hot here. The only time the bike actually got hot is when stuck in traffic, and that was just because we were looking for a place to eat and the traffic lights were just LONG, once on the highway the temp went back to normal. I'm just curious why the fan was not kicking in earlier. I actually thought of replacing the thermostatic switch, but now with the $4.00 mod, it saved me the 50 bucks for the thermostatic switch.

Back