Thanks to the forum!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

912er

Reaction score
A big thanks to all the contributors here on the forum! Now I have;
No charging issue!
No hot start issue!
No head shake!
Fatter rear tire!
Killer brakes!
Best handling ever!

I bought my Vmax on 06/13/1985 and today I rode it for the first time not having to worry about my battery charging and whether or not I would have to wait a few extra minutes to get it started after it heated up.

I replaced the RR with a stock unit a few months ago running a 10 gauge hot wire to the battery and solid soldering the stator wires and the crimp. This resulted in the same old 12.8 volts at the battery? After reading all of the great info here I decided to go with the newer 1996-2007 unit from RegulatorRectifier.com http://www.regulatorrectifier.com/catalog/1996-2007-Yamaha-VMX1200-Vmax-Regulator-Rectifier It?s a thicker finned unit and bolts right up with longer cap screws. I spliced in some 10 gage wire about a half inch from the unit to go to the battery but I also left the stock hot wire. I also ran 10 gauge to the negative post from the RR which has a separate negative wire unlike the old 1985 unit. Now it has 14 volts at idle and about 14.8 revved. And no hot start issue!

I did the fat tire swap to an AVON Venom X 170X80X15 and the mating Venom X 100X90X18 no washer swap was necessary to fit the rear. I?ve done the ?furbur fix? and tried all kinds of tire combinations including Dunlop, Bridgestone and Metzler since the bike was new and nothing has ever even calmed the head shake until now. The pair of AVON?s took all the head shake away and the bike handles noticeably better and actually feels about a hundred pounds lighter!

Now about the brakes, I did the swap to the six piston Tokico Hayabusa setup and some good stainless braided lines. I left the master cylinder stock and I?ve never ridden a bike that can stop this hard! When it?s time to do your brakes don?t think twice about this option.

Nothing fancy yet, stock paint and my motor is still stock with SuperTrapp pipes and a K&N filter. Ron, the owner of RPM Performance Motorcycle here in Clackamas Oregon does my tuning and on his Dyno the bike sets right at 120 horse at the wheel, purrs like a kitten and ROARS with a flick of the wrist!

So again, thanks to all of you who post such great info here! Now it?s time for shocks! Anyone know anything about the YSS shocks? Maybe I should stick with 418?s or Ohlin?s?

Bob

Attachments

• vmx05.jpg
    vmx05.jpg
    202.2 KB · Views: 23
We sell a number of different brands of shocks. Depends on your budget and goals! Glad to hear those brakes are doing the trick!

Latest posts

Back