Think I got a good deal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tothemax93

Reaction score
I"ve been Whittling away at minor Issues with my max. We, Me and my cousin, Did a starter clutch this spring, put on a sissy bar. Did some cosmetic work on the side covers. A few weeks ago, we did the "shotgun" so we got into the carbs a bit. So the next 2 issues were the clutch slave cylinder was leaking, and I did the bounce test and I could feel a ruffness in the steering head bearings. So They needed to be changed. I did all my research here on the forum as to how to attack, and I ordered a new clutch slave cylinder, and middle gear gasket. So just for kicks I stopped at a local, very reputible cycle repair shop and asked them how much to change the steering head bearings. I'm thinking, although it's not that hard, there's a lot of stuff to take off and It will be time consuming. He says $125. So I asked If that Included the bearings, and he says thats the total for everything. So I asked about the bearings, and he said they weren't factory, but he had been using that brand for years without issue. So then I asked about changing the clutch slave cylinder. I already had the part so he said $40. So a week later, He did the work in a day, every thing was done. I guess that I was impressed with that amount of work for $165. I know I was looking at 2 or 3 long evenings of tinkering, trying to find all the tools etc, etc. I've put on 150 miles since then and everything is A/ok.:eusa_dance:

Sounds like a very good deal to me. If I were you, I'd stay close to that mechanic, he seems to be very good and inexpensive too. Good Combination.

I've heard so many horror stories of guys that take their bikes in and get nailed with the price and they don't get the problem fixed, or it's worse. A good mechanic is priceless:worthy:
Tim

I've heard so many horror stories of guys that take their bikes in and get nailed with the price and they don't get the problem fixed, or it's worse. A good mechanic is priceless:worthy:
Tim

Amen! if you can't or just don't want to deal with it yourself, a good and inexpensive mechanic is like finding an untapped gold mine :eusa_dance:

I need to do the steering bearings on mine....I've had the weave since I got the bike, and I'm really getting sick of it. Definitely on the agenda. I'm not so sure I want to tear into it myself so I was going to ask around to see what some shops quoted to do it. A local one in Ticonderoga did the fork seals on my Magna for $100, it was done the next day and done right so I might give them a call.

I avoid dealer shops at all costs. Typical enormous labor rates, and the local Yammie dealer has a notoriously bad service department. Heard loads of horror stories about people dropping off their machines for a straightforward repair and getting bent over sans lubrication, then finding out it isn't actually fixed or the work wasn't even done.

Latest posts

Back