Thinking of adding to the family...a ZX-11

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rifleman

Reaction score
There are two bikes I have always wanted since the day I seen them...a V-Max which I have had for almost two years now (2000 carbon fiber), which is freakin awesome and a ZX-11....which I am on the hunt for.

Not a lot of them around, at least on CL but there are a few. Checked on out last night, 1990 with 18.5k, good condition over all but I purposely didn't bring any $ with me so that I would be forced to look at more than one before buying....I tend to be an impulse buyer.

Any ZX-11 fans out there with any advice?

thanks
Chuck

It was the fastest, at one time. Here's some fun reading from the forum:
http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=31722&highlight=zx-11&page=2

I almost bought one, new, in about 1992, but I found out the reason it was so-cheap was that it was an export model and wasn't a USA distributorship model, so supposedly it wouldn't have a USA warranty, and may not even have been legal on US roads. It was about $2K less-expensive than what dealerships were asking at the time. I kept pressing to get all the facts, and when the 'for export only" came to-light, I passed on the 'deal.'

Here's something similar: http://miami.craigslist.org/brw/mcy/4441237952.html
Honda Blackbird which appears to be in good shape w/some good maintenance. $4800 OBO

2000 honda cbr1100xx blackbird,very good shape,new clutch,brake pads,fluids,corbin seat(stock also)jardines slipons(stock mufflers also) fresh rk gold chain with front and rear sprockets,k&n air and oil filters.was girls bike.30k miles, michelin power roads tires.nice smooth rocket ship,$4800.00 obo

Had a "c' modle ZX-11 for about 5 years. With a pipe/jetting/and a few air box and gearing mods------ well it was great. There are times that I regret selling it.
Lew

Thanks for all the replies, that is why I love this forum. I joined three different ZX11 Forums but they are not near as user friendly and as helpful as you all are.

I am looking at two right now, I prefer the look of the one in 1993 MN but being 4 hours away I haven't make the trek yet. Being '93 I believe it is the D model which soundguy recommended and I believe has dual air induction vs. single.

I will look at the '90 in Ames (30 mins away) tomorrow, it looks pretty nice, we will see.

If I get one of them I will definitely post some pics.

http://ames.craigslist.org/mcy/4461168295.html (1990)

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/mcy/4473650272.html (1993)

I got the itch....how does one stop that itch

More to follow
Chuck

What ever you do if you buy the 93 dont ride it like that guy. At least put on cloths!!! I like 93 better

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

I agree Matt, a little protection is good and the look of the 93 (could be the picss) seems better.

Time will tell
chuck

Ended up getting the 1990 today, I should have waited to check out the '93 but this one is in great condition and was the right price at $2800. Going to probably need a new rear tire and set of brakes but other than that it is in great condition.

Had a 45 minute ride back after picking it up, surprisingly comfortable and all the power I could ever want...and then some.

A V-Max and a ZX-11, what more could a guy want....my wife thinks a Venture should be added to the stable....we will see.

thanks again for all the replies.

IMG_0311.jpg

IMG_0319.jpg

ok now i tell you a big secret that a mod monkey told me. in your front end gsxr 1000 k1 k-2 6 piston calliper is a bolt on.

Attachments

• 5900_1180116711529_1486512892_492307_7041458_n.jpg
    5900_1180116711529_1486512892_492307_7041458_n.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 16
Congrats on the Bike, nice choice.
In 1994 I bought a new v-max and a new ZX-11 in the same week, my two dream bikes. People would ask why I didn't buy other bikes like the Ducati, Honda etc... My standard answer was that these were, and still are two of my favourite bikes there are. I wouldn't own a Blackbird simply because I don't like the linked braking system, I'll choose the safest way to apply my brakes, not some engineer in a factory trying to come up with the best average input between front and rear. I wish I still had a ZX-11 you've inspired me to have a bit of a look around, damn you.

Sorry HB, hopefully I don't get you in too much trouble at home but I hope you can get a ZX11 again, I am loving it so for. It has some tuning to do get to top performance that that will occur slowly as $ allow.

have a great one.

Just an update...it wasn't running right at the top end, could only squeeze out about 120 MPH so did a lot of carb work and then realized the number 3 connecting rod bearing was probably shot (fairly common on these apparently), confirmed it after tear down. Finding time and getting parts (all bearings, gaskets, o-rings, etc) resulted in finally getting it back together last weekend.

For my first complete tear down and re-assemble I was pretty surprised it started and better than that it ran pretty darn good. I haven't pushed it to the high end yet as I want to break in the new bearings but is running great at the low end.

Getting pretty cold here in IA so probably no riding left until March or April so really looking forward to see if it can do somewhat close to stock (at least in the 140s or 150s)

I am glad the V-Max ran awesome all summer, had a great veterans ride in Wisconsin in September...mostly Harley's but that is ok, in this case it was not about the ride but about the Service Member.

Thanks to all Veterans on Veterans Day eve. Vets are decreasing. Approx 7% of the population is Veterans while less than 1% of the population is currently serving compared to WWII when approx 12% of the population was serving. Your service is truly appreciated.

Glad you fixed it. The bikes are a lot of fun. My friend had one similar to yours, a bit older I believe. It had a set of flat-slides, a D&D exhaust, and a Superbike Mike (Keyte) cyl head. He had to run VP Gas in it to make it run right, if you ran behind him, your eyes would water from the fumes. I rode it a few times but preferred the better handling of my FZR1000 which was a bit newer.

One time we were on our way to Ft. Lauderdale beach during Spring Break to cruise, and he blew the baffle off. That was a loud ride home!

That sounds awesome FM, makes me think a little about the Max with the UFO dragstars...pretty close to straight pipes..minus the fumes.

I did get a set of FCRs off CL for the ZX but they have some cleaning/rebuilding (winter project), I hear they really bring the ZX to life, we will see next summer.

Back