top speed of your vmax?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have had mine around 175 to 177 on top end with no nos, I was racing a zx9 that had a head start and when i passed him he said he was at 170mph when i passed him. My speedo was buried. My bike will do 120 from dead stop in the 1/8 mile on nos. If you want to get rid of the head shake have Jon Gainey put his pro series stering head on it, its full chromolly that lowers stering head 2" and works great.

You got an album of this bike?

Honestly guys I don't see the big deal in being mad about a wobble at >120mph speeds. Maybe because I'm new to the Vmax and haven't really pushed it (and become addicted to the speed), but I really don't see the rationale for >100 mph.

I've seen people state they want to get ride of their max because it wobbles at >120 mph??!! Really??!! Do that with any other cruiser and see what happens...heck my sportster couldn't even get that high to wobble! NOBODY needs to be doing >100 mph on a consistent basis on ANY bike!

gtfo.jpg

:biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh::biglaugh:

Figured I'd catch flack for that! :icon_rolleyes:

Say what you will...you can appreciate the vmax without doing 120+. It was after all actually designed for stoplight to stoplight performance.

Carry on though...all balls no brains, that's the ideal setup for natural selection :biglaugh:

Honestly guys I don't see the big deal in being mad about a wobble at >120mph speeds. Maybe because I'm new to the Vmax and haven't really pushed it (and become addicted to the speed), but I really don't see the rationale for >100 mph.
Huh? My needle's touched the 100 tick mark more then a handful of times and can't wait till my cojones grow thick enough to stay at that speed long enough to scream like a banshee in heat for several hundreds of seconds. :barf::rofl_200:

I've seen people state they want to get ride of their max because it wobbles at >120 mph??!! Really??!! Do that with any other cruiser and see what happens...heck my sportster couldn't even get that high to wobble!
Agreed. Silly reason. The bike is fun at any speed--even 0 mph.:punk:

NOBODY needs to be doing >100 mph on a consistent basis on ANY bike!
:ummm:

OK, 100 mph is pretty reasonable...the disclaimer should have read:

nobody needs to do >120mph consistently on any bike...and I stand by that. Way too many variables man...animals, cagers, road hazards, etc...

The "140ish" is I think about anyone ever sees...at that speed it's tough to get a good look at the speedo, any more than a quick glance to see the needle is somewhere in that area.

Wonder if anyone has ever pegged the Vmax speedometer at 160? I imagine with big enough nuts, a Venture drive or overdrive, and some extra HP it'd be possible.

I've pegged my speedo a couple times, I'm about 4mph off @ 70mph per gps...........I'm usually stuck at 150 most of the time.
Venture drive/overdrive won't get you there...not enough horses....extra HP is always a bonus...you just get there faster.

I'll hit 130 in a flash.....then it's tuck time......then 145 gets there pretty quickly, then its needle creep time..........before you run out of (safe) road.

To get top speed, you can't baby the engine....you have to wring it out through the gears......especially 2, 3, & 4 ......have to redline, 10K is perfect, or you'll loose too much speed waiting for the rpm's to come back up.....
That's the main reason you run out of road.....ride it like your running down the 1/4 mile.....you need to get to top speed as fast as possible.

Lat time I think I was exactly at 9K at 150 ish.

BTW....I've got small nuts........big nuts is for those trying to go faster than 160.
I've geared my FZ1 so my top speed is about 145ish....just so I don't get in trouble.....when I first got it, 160 ish GPS was just too easy.

OK, 100 mph is pretty reasonable...the disclaimer should have read:

nobody needs to do >120mph consistently on any bike...and I stand by that. Way too many variables man...animals, cagers, road hazards, etc...

Doing over 120mph in less than 1320 ft. is the VMax's raison d'etre. Your logic nullifies the very existence of a motorcycle that had a 22 year production run in virtually unchanged configuration, and was replaced by a machine that is even more extreme.
All anyone needs is about 1000 cal & couple quarts of water/day, but who wants to live that way? The VMax isn't about need. It's about want.

The flak you're getting, which is friendly BTW, is because you said "no one needs" instead of "I don't need". It's preachy, even if it's not what you intended.

The "140ish" is I think about anyone ever sees...at that speed it's tough to get a good look at the speedo, any more than a quick glance to see the needle is somewhere in that area.

Wonder if anyone has ever pegged the Vmax speedometer at 160? I imagine with big enough nuts, a Venture drive or overdrive, and some extra HP it'd be possible.

Me...but you know what they saying - you are stupid while young...

Me...but you know what they saying - you are stupid while young...

mph not km/h....just kidding prez.:rofl_200: wow:punk:

First, I think 'satariel666's' avatar is the most-entertaining I have ever seen & that includes any XXX ones some people use.

Second, 'iatrosb's' re-statement of opinion is hereby accepted. We may not agree with it, but everyone gets an opinion, right? And, any 'flack' you caught is not to be taken personally, people just love to have a toy they can 'pull the trigger on' to get to 120+ whenever they feel like it, and those who do accept responsibility for being caught if that happens. Hopefully no one does that on a crowded street.

Third, I like the acceleration more than the fast speed. Even the newest bikes have to work it to stay ahead on a pure acceleration run, and the roll-on is another thing to which you can look forward to enjoying. No need to bang downshifts. If you do, while cruising on the expressway, and hit 3rd/4th/5th, you will be exceeding that arbitrary 120 figure before you notch fifth, so better short-shift from fourth! Have a VMax day, sir!

From what I've gathered, the Venture drive really has little effect on your top speed. You can do ~150 @ redline with the stock diff, or about that @8800rpm with the Venture drive, the motor doesn't have enough power stock to spin up to redline in fifth with the taller gears. The stock diff will get up to that speed a bit quicker though, seem to remember someone said it's about .2 sec in a 1/4 pass.

Top of third is about 105, top of fourth is about 135, top of fifth is when the motor runs out of steam at around 145.

The little critters in Prez's avatar are the "raving rabbids".....lol

I have had mine around 175 to 177 on top end with no nos, I was racing a zx9 that had a head start and when i passed him he said he was at 170mph when i passed him. My speedo was buried. My bike will do 120 from dead stop in the 1/8 mile on nos. If you want to get rid of the head shake have Jon Gainey put his pro series stering head on it, its full chromolly that lowers stering head 2" and works great.

175 is kinda hard to believe unless you have a bigger wheel or different diff (or smaller sprocket) with a pumped up engine... Not even talking about the frame. I did 160ish on mine with alloy frame (rigid) and 180/55R17 on the rear and i was about 9000ish rpms (almost on red). And im running a 1300 bore with carrillo and JE... Can you post some specs on that bike? And a picture as well by the way... Thanks

175 is kinda hard to believe unless you have a bigger wheel or different diff (or smaller sprocket) with a pumped up engine... Not even talking about the frame. I did 160ish on mine with alloy frame (rigid) and 180/55R17 on the rear and i was about 9000ish rpms (almost on red). And im running a 1300 bore with carrillo and JE... Can you post some specs on that bike? And a picture as well by the way... Thanks

Have had mine up that high once or twice. Chain drive and a big bore engine are necessary, or another power adder. I tend to run out of gearing before I run out of engine power though. Have wondered about going down a couple of teeth on the rear sprocket and see just how fast Toxic can go. Of course I would only do this on a track because at those speeds stuff happens way to quickly to take the chance on a public street.

I have on 03 that will run 10,000 rpm not sure where the speedometer was hard to see at that speed. I am 1 stage leaner on my main jet and near sea level.
Since the stock jetting is on the rich side at higher rpms and your at 4000' in thinner air the combnation makes the mixture even richer.

I have on 03 that will run 10,000 rpm not sure where the speedometer was hard to see at that speed. I am 1 stage leaner on my main jet and near sea level.
Since the stock jetting is on the rich side at higher rpms and your at 4000' in thinner air the combnation makes the mixture even richer.

Hey Bud, Welcome aboard, it's about time!!!:punk:

I assume you're the Barry I know?????

Lot's a really good, helpful folks on here,enjoy,

Back